Specifying compile options witth ports...

Specifying compile options witth ports...

Post by Centurio » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:00:31

Hi All,

Firstly my ports is up-to-date after a cvsup earlier today as per the
handbook.  I also upgraded to 4.7-RELEASE this morning too (before the cvsup
to be precise).

I'm trying to compile Samba (2.2.6) + Squid (2.4Stable7) with some custom
options.  Samba compiled properly; in fact it popped up a nice little
text-based selection gui for compile options.  So I have Samba compiled with
the winbind options and it's winbinding properly :-)

Squid OTOH is being a real pain.  I haven't been able to compile the wb_auth
helper (squid authentication through winbind) no matter what I try.  How do
I specify options like --enable-auth-helper-basic="winbind" etc, using the
standard ports "make && make install"??  Or is there an extra step I'm
missing?

This machine is a lone fBSD box in a Windows ActiveDirectory wilderness and
needs to be able to authenticate the squid proxy against the AD Domain.
Winbind _IS_ working, but Squid needs the wb_auth helper.  I can configure
PAM to use winbind but that would give shell accounts on the proxy server to
everyone in the domain - ick.  Unless I am mistaken??

Thanks in advance.

--James

Post by John Nielse » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:47:09

> Hi All,

> Firstly my ports is up-to-date after a cvsup earlier today as per the
> handbook.  I also upgraded to 4.7-RELEASE this morning too (before the
> cvsup to be precise).

> I'm trying to compile Samba (2.2.6) + Squid (2.4Stable7) with some custom
> options.  Samba compiled properly; in fact it popped up a nice little
> text-based selection gui for compile options.  So I have Samba compiled
> with the winbind options and it's winbinding properly :-)

> Squid OTOH is being a real pain.  I haven't been able to compile the
> wb_auth helper (squid authentication through winbind) no matter what I
> try.  How do I specify options like --enable-auth-helper-basic="winbind"
> etc, using the standard ports "make && make install"??  Or is there an
> extra step I'm missing?

Before I compile a port, I usually do a "grep -F ".if" Makefile" to see what
compile options the port recognizes.  If it's not obvious from the names
what they do, I look through the Makefile until I have an idea.  You can do
that with Samba, and specify all your options (don't forget BATCH) on the
command-line for an uninterrupted build.

Unfortunately, the Squid port doesn't have any conditionals in the Makefile,
so you get to tweak it by hand.  Add your options to the CONFIGURE_ARGS
section of the Makefile.  Make sure when you're done that every line except
for the last one ends with a space and a backslash.

FYI, the www/squid port (which builds squid-2.5.STABLE1) includes
'--enable-basic-auth-helpers="NCSA PAM YP"' in the CONFIGURE_ARGS section of
its Makefile.  This is absent in the squid24 (squid-2.4.STABLE7) port's
Makefile.

Quote:> This machine is a lone fBSD box in a Windows ActiveDirectory wilderness
> and needs to be able to authenticate the squid proxy against the AD
> Domain. Winbind _IS_ working, but Squid needs the wb_auth helper.  I can
> configure PAM to use winbind but that would give shell accounts on the
> proxy server to everyone in the domain - ick.  Unless I am mistaken??

I haven't had occasion to do much with either ActiveDirectory or PAM...

JN

--
Remove pig-latin to reply by e-mail

Post by Lowell Gilber » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:32:51

> Unfortunately, the Squid port doesn't have any conditionals in the Makefile,
> so you get to tweak it by hand.  Add your options to the CONFIGURE_ARGS
> section of the Makefile.  Make sure when you're done that every line except
> for the last one ends with a space and a backslash.

Why would you edit the makefile to put in your options
instead of specifying them from the command line?

Post by Centurio » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:16:38

> > Squid OTOH is being a real pain.  I haven't been able to compile the
> > wb_auth helper (squid authentication through winbind) no matter what I
> > try.  How do I specify options like --enable-auth-helper-basic="winbind"
> > etc, using the standard ports "make && make install"??  Or is there an
> > extra step I'm missing?

> Before I compile a port, I usually do a "grep -F ".if" Makefile" to see
what
> compile options the port recognizes.  If it's not obvious from the names
> what they do, I look through the Makefile until I have an idea.  You can
do
> that with Samba, and specify all your options (don't forget BATCH) on the
> command-line for an uninterrupted build.

> Unfortunately, the Squid port doesn't have any conditionals in the
Makefile,
> so you get to tweak it by hand.  Add your options to the CONFIGURE_ARGS
> section of the Makefile.  Make sure when you're done that every line
except
> for the last one ends with a space and a backslash.

> FYI, the www/squid port (which builds squid-2.5.STABLE1) includes
> '--enable-basic-auth-helpers="NCSA PAM YP"' in the CONFIGURE_ARGS section
of
> its Makefile.  This is absent in the squid24 (squid-2.4.STABLE7) port's
> Makefile.

Gave up of /usr/ports/www/squid24 and just compiled Squid 2.5 :-)
Hand-cranked the changes to the "Makefile" and compiled.  Bingo.  All the
modules I need are there.

Quote:> > This machine is a lone fBSD box in a Windows ActiveDirectory wilderness
> > and needs to be able to authenticate the squid proxy against the AD
> > Domain. Winbind _IS_ working, but Squid needs the wb_auth helper.  I can
> > configure PAM to use winbind but that would give shell accounts on the
> > proxy server to everyone in the domain - ick.  Unless I am mistaken??

> I haven't had occasion to do much with either ActiveDirectory or PAM...

I've now got Squid transparently passing domain login info (via wb_auth ->
winbindd) to our ActiveDirectory (crowd goes wild).  Boy are the users gonna
get a shock when I start sending their bosses the bill for excess data
downloads (we pay per Mb over our cap....sux) and detailed reports of the
sites they spend their days surfing to.

Don't*off the sysadmins >:-)

Thanks for your help with getting this working.

--James

Post by John Nielse » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:30:05

>> Unfortunately, the Squid port doesn't have any conditionals in the
>> Makefile, so you get to tweak it by hand.  Add your options to the
>> CONFIGURE_ARGS section of the Makefile.  Make sure when you're done that
>> every line except for the last one ends with a space and a backslash.

> Why would you edit the makefile to put in your options
> instead of specifying them from the command line?

Because it works.  I'd certainly be happy to learn a better or alternate
approach.  I wouldn't, however, want to re-type all the existing
CONFIGURE_ARGS on the command line, and I don't know if doing a
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=foo (on the command line) would work as expected.  (i.e. if
the Makefile variables are loaded after the command-line variables, then
whatever's in the Makefile will override whatever's on the command line, and
possibly vice-versa).

If you can tell me that it would work, then I'll try it next time. :)

JN

--
Remove pig-latin to reply by e-mail

1. Compiling PHP ports with xslt option (sablotron) HELP !

I 'm trying to use XSLT functions with PHP, but it seems to be difficult to
make it compiles...

I installed from ports tree (and after a cvs checkout) sablotron 0.90 ,
expat and libiconv 1.7. All worked fine. I decided to compile PHP... but as
no "xslt" flavor exists, I tried to add these line into the port Makefile:
"--with-xslt --with-xslt-sablotron"

then I lanched "make install"

but the PHP configure stops telling me that it could not found iconv_open !
I looked in includes path, and there's all PHP need !

I don't understand as when I compiled sablotron, its configure had found the
libiconv and iconv_open...

please HELP !!! Does anyone has compiled PHP with xslt option ?

2. XFree86 and laptop

3. kernel options - how do i know what options were compiled on install

4. Security alert for OSR5

5. What "bs" option to specify on a Sun Sparcstation???

6. Is ATI Xpert 99 AGP 8Mb supported with Linux 6.0?

7. Socket:ReUse port option for broadcast-port

8. Stripping multiline C comments without using Lex

9. Compile options for IBM (compiling Apache Source Code)

10. Socket: Reuse port option for broadcast port

11. the specified scripts was not running at specified time in crontab

12. How do I delete some specified month date and specified file?

13. invalid TCP port/service '6000-6063' specified