Cannot rlogin or telnet to my system (FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE)

Cannot rlogin or telnet to my system (FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE)

Post by Matthew Crav » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I have a system (P5-100 laptop) running FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE, and which
is connected to the Net via PPP. I can log in fine from the virtual
consoles, X/Windows and everything work fine, and when I'm on the local
machine, things work great.

However, if I try to telnet or rlogin into this machine from another one,
I get prompted for my username and password, and then I get a "Permission
denied." error and the connection closes.

Does anyone have any thoughts, pointers, etc. as to where I should be looking
to figure out what's going on? I've never seen this behavior before (although
I've been running FreeBSD for a relatively short period of time, having
formerly been a Linux user).

Thoughts, suggestions, pointers, etc. would be much appreciated.

TIA,
/MC

--
Matthew Cravit, N9VWG               | Experience is what allows you to

1. SNP 0.67 release (secure telnet, rlogin, ftp)

It would be interesting to compare SNP with SSH which is clearly the most
widespread and sophisticated program in that area. SSH
<http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/> can replace all the r* commands (including rcp
so you can copy files) and can do much more.

SSH can use DES but also many others faster or much safer algoritms (IDEA,
RC4, Triple-DES, etc).

You mean PC with Linux? If you mean PC with Microsoft OS, it's interesting.
SSH run on much more Unix machines but has no MacOS or Windows clients.

2. Which Linux can be installed in windows envirnment?

3. I cannot rlogin or telnet into RS6000 anymore

4. Security Vulnerability in DNS resolver libraries (rev.4)

5. Good PPP conection but , cannot telnet, ftp , rlogin

6. copy multiple lines from a file

7. !!! I want Ghost in UNIX!

8. SSHD crashed FreeBSD hot 3.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE #1

9. [Q} FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE: Cannot find root directory/man/

10. Weird telnet/scm/otherstuff behaviour under X/FreeBSD 3.4-Release

11. cannot compile system sources for 4.4 Release with 'make buildworld'

12. 2.4.19-pre8-ac5: cannot mount FreeBSD file system