Term does not work. It bounce back with "Terminal type is vt100"

Term does not work. It bounce back with "Terminal type is vt100"

Post by Chang-Hyeon So » Wed, 26 Oct 1994 13:57:02

Hi.  Linuxers.
I tried to run Term from School's  sun machine to my linux box at home
through modem.  I am using minicom and connect to school's terminal server.
I compiled Term on sun, which is remote host without any error.
Now when I typed "term -r", it just bounced back with the message
"Terminal type is vt100".  And nothing happened.
I have .term/termrc setup correctly I think.
Can anybody tell me what's wrong?

        |     Purdue  University    |       (317) 477-1462         |

Post by Steven N. Hirs » Tue, 01 Nov 1994 23:40:00

: Hi.  Linuxers.
: I tried to run Term from School's  sun machine to my linux box at home
: through modem.  I am using minicom and connect to school's terminal server.
: I compiled Term on sun, which is remote host without any error.
: Now when I typed "term -r", it just bounced back with the message
: "Terminal type is vt100".  And nothing happened.
: I have .term/termrc setup correctly I think.
: Can anybody tell me what's wrong?

My sympathies!  I killed most of a weekend bringing term up for use
between a SUN SPARC machine at school and my Linux box at home.  The
majority of the problems centered around the documentation not being
proofread to start with, and certainly not being updated to agree with
the current sources!  I ran into all sorts of problems with the make
script on the SUN remote.  It has some inconsistancies in the
dependency tree wherein the "install" section attempts to force a
build of the "share" section _before_ some of the necessary
subdirectories have been created!  There are also some steps in the
"share" portion that appear to have garbled path names.  For example,
the $(SHAREDIR)/term/tmp path resolves to ./term/term/tmp, which makes
no sense.

Although my login's mount the home directory (containing the .term
subdirectory) over NFS, term absolutely refused to work with the
suggested "-DTERM_SHARE_NFS" directive added.  I'm still not quite
sure exactly what the final directory structure is supposed to look
like, or exactly what I did that brought it to life :-(.

If I knew a bit more about Unix, I'd be able to make some more
intelligent assessments and/or fix the installation and build scripts.

Also, be warned that syntax for the "linecheck" utility does not agree
with _any_ of the documentation (including man pages).  After an
exasperating hour of lockups, I read the source listing and discovered
that it wants:

$ linecheck <logfile> [escaped chars]

rather than the

$ linecheck [escaped chars] 2>logfile

syntax in all the docs.  At the local end it wants to be:

$ linecheck <logfile> [escaped chars] </dev/modem >/dev/modem

I hope this helps.  As soon as I can get a little better handle on the
make script bugs, I'm planning to forward a report to the maintainer.

- Steve

|Steven N. Hirsch                        "Anything worth doing is worth    |
|University of Vermont                    overdoing.." - Hunter S. Thompson|
|Computer Science / EE                                                     |

Post by Brad Burles » Wed, 02 Nov 1994 15:54:39

: My sympathies!  I killed most of a weekend bringing term up for use
: between a SUN SPARC machine at school and my Linux box at home.

I must just be lucky, since any version of term that I've played
with [1.19 to present] compiles out of the box on my Sun 4c running
4.1.3_U1.

Then again, I'm not installing the shared stuff, and I'm installing
with root access [Linux is my _providers_ system].

Brad.

--

"This is a _family_ nuclear power plant!" - M Burns.

Post by Gertjan van Noo » Wed, 02 Nov 1994 18:40:16

> : My sympathies!  I killed most of a weekend bringing term up for use
> : between a SUN SPARC machine at school and my Linux box at home.

> I must just be lucky, since any version of term that I've played
> with [1.19 to present] compiles out of the box on my Sun 4c running
> 4.1.3_U1.

> Then again, I'm not installing the shared stuff, and I'm installing
> with root access [Linux is my _providers_ system].

> Brad.

> --

> "This is a _family_ nuclear power plant!" - M Burns.

I have the same experience: the latest versions of TERM compile
out of the box on HP-UX too, as an ordinary user, but without the
SHARE stuff.

So it seems that only the SHARE stuff needs some looking at..

Post by Matt Warno » Wed, 02 Nov 1994 22:26:12

>: Hi.  Linuxers.
>: I tried to run Term from School's  sun machine to my linux box at home
>: through modem.  I am using minicom and connect to school's terminal server.
>: I compiled Term on sun, which is remote host without any error.
>: Now when I typed "term -r", it just bounced back with the message
>: "Terminal type is vt100".  And nothing happened.
>: I have .term/termrc setup correctly I think.
>: Can anybody tell me what's wrong?

>My sympathies!  I killed most of a weekend bringing term up for use
>between a SUN SPARC machine at school and my Linux box at home.  The
>majority of the problems centered around the documentation not being
>proofread to start with, and certainly not being updated to agree with
>the current sources!  I ran into all sorts of problems with the make

[snip]

Steve's problems seem to have little if anything to do with the
previous query.

It sounds like therre is a program called "term" in your path on the
sun which is designed to tell you the value of the TERM environment
variable.  If term compiled OK, the go to the directory term is in,
and type ./term instead of just term to force execution of your new
binary.

This is a common error for DOS newbies, as DOS always checks the
current working directory before checking the path.  Unix doesn't.  If
you want the DOS behavior (Why?) you can always add "." to your PATH.

--

60 West Main Avenue, Suite 12A, Morgan Hill CA  95037-4553  Fax:408.778.7989

1. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

Hi,

When i start a shell under X, i can type all characters on my keyboard,
the same when i start the simple editor, but when i start Forte (Java
IDE) written in Java i cant use the "(", ")", "{", "}" and allmost none
of the characters that are located on the same key as a number...

Does anybody have an idea what i can do about that... could it be
something with programs written in Java..?

Mvg,
Erwin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. fuzzy picture

4. "Running a program as a root" - What does it mean?

5. Recommend terminal type choice for doing Solaris 9 install via "tip"

6. remote mirroring for DR

7. "mount -o bind" - "fs type none not supported" error

8. non-FAQ OS/2 Boot Manager problems...

9. ncurse says "this terminal does not support color", I am using color xterm!

11. Thunderbird client working, but "mail" command (shell) not working from terminal window

12. "find" and "locate" commands not working, linux RH5.2

13. unknown terminal "vt100"