Help: Who is running a Pentium with Linux

Help: Who is running a Pentium with Linux

Post by Soenke Lan » Fri, 21 Oct 1994 04:07:05

I'm searching for people who are running Linux on a Pentium system. I like
to know more about their hardware configurations, and if they had problems
with running Linux.

 --  "All expressed opinions are not neccessarily mine or anybody elses!"   --

Post by Steven J. Kang » Sat, 22 Oct 1994 01:15:03

: I'm searching for people who are running Linux on a Pentium system. I like
: to know more about their hardware configurations, and if they had problems
: with running Linux.

:
: --
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:  --  "All expressed opinions are not neccessarily mine or anybody elses!"   --

        I am running Slackware on an ALR Revolution MP 90mhz Pentium with
no problems.

Steve Kangas

Post by John W. Garne » Mon, 24 Oct 1994 11:59:45

>I'm searching for people who are running Linux on a Pentium system. I like
>to know more about their hardware configurations, and if they had problems
>with running Linux.

Hi, I'm running Slackware 2.0.2 (Linux 1.1.54) on a Pentium 90 system.

Hardware configuration looks like this:

o ASUS PCI/I-P54NP4 motherboard
   (AWARD BIOS 4.50G, 4 PCI slots, 4 ISA slots, 512MB max RAM, 512kb max cache,
    2 onboard 16550A serial ports, onboard IDE controller, onboard parallel port)
   installed: Pentium 90, 256kb cache, 8MB RAM (soon to have more RAM).

o ASUS PCI-PCISC200 SCSI-II controller (NCR 53C810)

o Micropolis 2217 SCSI-II disk (1.7GB, 10ms access time, 5 yr warranty).
  [this drive is available for $899 from many Computer Shopper vendors (e.g.
   Dirt Cheap Drives)].

o Apple CD-300 external SCSI-I CD-ROM drive.

o Conner 420MB IDE drive (12ms, running DOS/Windows).
  [can sometimes find these on sale for $190 or so at computer stores like Fry's]

o 1.44MB floppy drive (not sure what brand).

o Linksys Ether16 LAN Card (16bit NE2000 compatible ISA ethernet card, combo
  coax and twisted pair).  [these are cheap, between $30 and $60 depending
  on where you look]

o ATI WinTurbo (OEM version of Pro Turbo) with 4MB VRAM. [between $475 and $539]

o IDEK Vision Master 17 (model 8617, $769 from Insight Direct).

--

Comments:

o The all-important ;) BogoMips is 36.08 (this is the same as many of the other
  P5-90 systems about which people have posted).

o No free XFree86 driver exists that takes full advantage of the ATI mach64;
  however "X Inside" does advertize (on comp.os.linux.announce) an accelerated
  X driver for Linux (and other OS's) that supports the ATI mach64
  (accelerated and at 8/15/16/32 bits of color depth) for $99.  You can run
  the free XFree86-3.1 (included in Slackware 202) but it doesn't take advantage
  of the accelerated functions and it is limited to a dot clock of 80 meaning
  that 1024x768 at 8 bits and 71Hz refresh is about the best you can do without
  going under 60Hz refresh.  Also someone is apparently working on adding full
  ATI mach64 support to XFree86 for a future release (ATI alledgedly sells the
  tech specs to the card for $50).

o The ASUS SCSI-II card requires the NCR BIOS to be on the motherboard (the
  ASUS motherboard has it).  The NCR BIOS version I have is NCRPCI 3.04.00.
  The Slackware 202 release has the driver required for the NCR 53C810 chip
  (if you choose the scsi kernel).

o The IDEK 8617 is a midrange 17" monitor (as far as price goes).  It has some

  pitch.  135Mhz dot clock.  digital controls for contrast, brightness,
  horizontal size and position, vertical size and position, pincushion,
  trapezoid, raster rotation, red and blue color balance, signal select,
  degauss, auto power saving on / off.  I'm happy with it so far although
  comments on the net have ranged from "love it" to "had to send three of them
  back because of defects before ordering a Sony instead".  I've seen more
  "love its" than not.  IDEK does have a 30 day DOA policy and a 2 yr standard
  warranty (3 yr if you buy from an authorized dealer).  The DOA policy
  says if the product experiences a major failure within 30 days of purchase
  date then IDEK will replace it immediately and pay shipping both ways.
  Major failure includes any condition which contributes to the product's
  inability to produce a display on the CRT (apparently including shadow
  mask problems).  Whew...

o Regarding installing and using Slackware 202 on the machine --
  So far I've seen three problems:

  1) Reading a scratched CD-ROM disc caused the "NCR SCSI Reset NOP" error
     to occur and hang the machine.  Rebooting solved the problem but there
     were filesystem errors (correctable).
  2) Once in a while at boot time I see a kernel panic ("Aiee, killing
     interrupt handler ...").  Others have seen the same problem.  Apparently
     this can be worked around by disabling "PCI to memory bursts" in the BIOS
     setup (I haven't verified this).  Powering down the machine and rebooting
     brings it back up (no filesystem damage since no filesystems are mounted
     at the time the hang occurs).
  3) Once at boottime the system was unable to mount the root filesystem on
     08:03 (whatever 08:03 means).  Booting from a boot diskette worked okay.
     Reinstalling the A1-A4 diskettes of Slackware solved the problem.  Problem
     may have been caused by damage incurred during one of the kernel panic
     episodes described above (I don't know for sure).

o Installing Slackware 202 was a breeze though the XFree86-3.1 configuration was
  a bit of a pain (I think its a Linux rite of passage ;).

o I have the machine using the campus ethernet (TCP/IP) right now and am having
  fun digging through the kernel sources.

--John Garnett
John Garnett

Help: Who is running a Pentium with Linux

Post by Cyclo » Mon, 24 Oct 1994 22:33:02

I use Slackware distribution kit, and i keep getting this error messages
during installation (Boot-disk).

AHA-1542B.c: interrupt received, but no mail.

The aha-1642B BIOS has been upgraded to the one that supports > 1GB harddrive.

I have no problem installing OS2 and the boot manager.
If you know how to cure this problem. please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
swt

Post by Phil Bencho » Tue, 25 Oct 1994 05:34:37

: I use Slackware distribution kit, and i keep getting this error messages
: during installation (Boot-disk).

: AHA-1542B.c: interrupt received, but no mail.

I had the same problem here.  I just got the new slackware distribution,
and everything seems ok.  Good luck.

Phil

Help: Who is running a Pentium with Linux

Post by Tim Row » Tue, 25 Oct 1994 07:45:11

Quote:> I'm searching for people who are running Linux on a Pentium system. I
> like
> to know more about their hardware configurations, and if they had
> problems with running Linux.

I've got it working with no problems. I've not yet tried to set up the
comms, though, and I expect problems there because of the bug with the
serial chip on Intel Pentium motherboards.

digiTig

Post by Paul Baumgart » Sun, 23 Oct 1994 12:04:34

: I'm searching for people who are running Linux on a Pentium system. I like
: to know more about their hardware configurations, and if they had problems
: with running Linux.

I am running Slackware 2.0.0 on a Tri-Star Pentium 90 system, with Intel
PCI SCSI (NCR 53c810) controller, Seagate HDD, ATI mach64 video controller.
No problems except that I can't boot from HDD using LILO; must boot from
floppy.  I think specifying drive geometry for LILO may fix but I haven't
tried it yet.

| Paul Baumgartel                                            |

Post by Joshua Dra » Fri, 28 Oct 1994 11:31:32

>: I'm searching for people who are running Linux on a Pentium system. I like
>: to know more about their hardware configurations, and if they had problems
>: with running Linux.
>I am running Slackware 2.0.0 on a Tri-Star Pentium 90 system, with Intel
>PCI SCSI (NCR 53c810) controller, Seagate HDD, ATI mach64 video controller.
>No problems except that I can't boot from HDD using LILO; must boot from
>floppy.  I think specifying drive geometry for LILO may fix but I haven't
>tried it yet.

Ok a great configuration for a P5-90 is:
Intel Plato PCI/II board
P5-90 Motherboard
ATiGraphics Ultra Pro
PCI SCSI Controller (ncr53c810)
Micropolis HD
------------------> and the other usual stuff. I have this setup. It has
never crashed in the time that I have it :).

Quack...Quack.... Ducks are most regal.

Post by Daniel Panca » Fri, 28 Oct 1994 08:29:16

>Subject: Re: Help: Who is running a Pentium with Linux
>Date: 21 Oct 1994 23:04:34 -0400
>No problems except that I can't boot from HDD using LILO; must boot from
>floppy.  I think specifying drive geometry for LILO may fix but I haven't
>tried it yet.

I had a problem with LILO on a my P90,  I changed the CMOS IDE Compatible
setting and reinstalled LILO.... Works ok now...

Post by Warwick Allis » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 13:02:02

>>PCI SCSI (NCR 53c810) controller, Seagate HDD, ATI mach64 video controller.
>>No problems except that I can't boot from HDD using LILO; must boot from
>>floppy.  I think specifying drive geometry for LILO may fix but I haven't
>>tried it yet.

Here's my lilo.conf.  Note the "linear" option.  You'll need to delete
your /etc/disktab, and change the /dev/sda... to whatever paritions
you are using.

# LILO configuration created by QuickInst 0.15  Wed Oct 26 19:12:06 EST 1994

boot = /dev/sda3
compact
delay = 1       # optional, for systems that boot very quickly
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
root = current  # use "current" root
linear          # for this NCR SCSI driver
image = /vmlinuz
  label = linux
other = /dev/sda1
  label = dos
  table = /dev/sda
other = /dev/fd0
  label = floppy
  unsafe
--

 /     * <-- Computer Science Department,  /     Microsoft is the question.
 \_.-._/     University of Queensland,    /

1. Help, does LINUX run on this PENTIUM configuration?

I'm in the process of buying a Pentium PC that has to run LINUX and now
have two offers on my desk.  However, before I buy any hardware, I'd like
to know if anyone has any experience with the following hardware setups
under LINUX plus X plus Metrolink OSF/MOTIF?

Does it work in the first place (without too much installation problems
that is)?  If not, what has to be changed to make it work?  Is one
configuration likely to work better than the other (#1 is more expensive,
but is it also better)?

Configuration #1:

   90 MHz Pentium, 16 Mb, 17" monitor (Sony, 1280x1024), keyboard

   Graphics card:  Herkules Dynamite Pro, 2Mb, PCI
   HDD-controller: Adaptec 2942, PCI, SCSI
   HDD-drive:      Fujitsu, 1.2 Gb, SCSI, 12ms.
   CD-Rom:         Toshiba XM 5202B
   Mouse:          Logitec, 3 buttons.

Configuration #2:

   90 MHz Pentium, 16 Mb, 17" monitor (Acer), keyboard

   Graphics card:  Miro Crystal 10AD, 1Mb, PCI
   Harddisk:       Seageta ST 31220A, 12ms, with AT controller.
   CD-rom:         (1) AT BUS, VERTOS, double
                   (2) Mitsumi FX300, Enhanced IDE
                   (1 is the default, 2 is a upgrade suggested by the dealer).
   Mouse:          no details available.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Henk

University of Oxford           WWW: http://zow00.desy.de:8000/~uijter/TOP.html
DESY-F01                     Phone: +49.40.89983133
Notkestrasse 85                Fax: +49.40.89983092
Hamburg, D22603, Germany      Home: +49.40.3898954

%DCL-E-NOCFFE, unable to locate coffee - keyboard input suspended.

2. Voice Mail cards

4. slakware 3.2.2 setup

5. Help: Need CPU time on Pentium 200 MHz running Linux.

6. lft console font

8. Cordless Mouseman with X

9. Help how do I know what version of apaches I am running

10. My Latest IPCHAINS Scripts: Comments Requested if I am in Error: Running Linux Mandrake 7.1

11. help: want to set up Pentium running UNIX as server

12. A little OT but I am running Linux off the DSL.

13. Help: Who is running a Pentium with Lin