UMSDOS problems (bad ones)

Post by mike wils » Tue, 31 Jan 1995 12:48:30

  I'm trying to get the slakware version of linux going via umsdos.
I've really managed to*something up along the way.  On my hard drive
(there is only one) I have a C, D, and E drive.  After using UMSDOS, I can
no longer access the C drive -- so now when I boot the computer up, it cannot
load the OS (dos).  It will say "no operating system present".

** PLEASE ** could someone tell me how to get my computer to recognize C
again?  If if boot from the floppy, I can get to D, and E -- but not C.
DOS lives on C (or used to).

  Any help is much appreciated!

mike

UMSDOS problems (bad ones)

Post by Colin James Wyn » Sat, 04 Feb 1995 22:14:33

> I'm trying to get the slakware version of linux going via umsdos.
> I've really managed to*something up along the way.  On my hard
> drive (there is only one) I have a C, D, and E drive.  After using
> UMSDOS, I can no longer access the C drive -- so now when I boot the
> computer up, it cannot load the OS (dos).  It will say "no operating
> system present".

Did you try to install LILO with UMSDOS?  As I understand, it isn't a
particularly good combination, and I avoided it.  The easiest way to
boot UMSDOS is with loadlin, available as lodlin15.tgz on the A disk
set with slackware.  I have a batchfile linux.bat, and can simply type
``linux'' in DOS and fire up a real OS :) and I have the Messy-DOS
boot menu set up with an option to run that same batch file.  It is,
all in all, remarkably painless.

CJW

    /\       Colin J. Wynne             Washington and Lee University
   (())                                      Lexington, *ia

 /______\
/________\   Subtlety is the art of saying what you think
             and getting out of the way before it is understood.

1. Bad sectors on IDE HD and UMSDOS

Hi!

Well, I installed Linux on a 2nd IDE in my machine. This drive reported a few
bad sectors under DOS, and I used the UMSDOS version of LINUX so I could keep
the DOS partition. When I installed the Slackware distribution, tar complained
about not being able to create a bunch of files.

Is there a utility that will mark the sectors not available, or does UMSDOS
not support this?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Macdonald
Ziff Information Services
Ziff Communications
10 President's Landing
Medford, MA

2. High Speel Serial (>115k)

3. First time install with UMSDOS - need help

4. which files set $path in Solaris 7?

5. Umsdos utilities for umsdos 0.4 uploaded

6. Mouse Button Emulation

7. umsdos Windows ME,2000 one partition and how to boot

8. fetchmailconf

9. 014 Bad Bad Bad !!! for Linux

10. Bad, bad, bad VM behaviour in 2.4.10

11. FIPS or UMSDOS - WHICH ONE???

12. Bad driver...Bad bad driver