rlogin problem

Post by Steven M. Gal » Fri, 12 Nov 1993 00:03:33

Hi all...

I'm having a problem with my rlogin and telnet.

I have a linux box with MCC .99.pl10+ installed which is not on a network
but I would like to be able to rlogin and telnet to other accounts on my
machine.  I have run /etc/install.net and (as per the NET-2-HOWTO) commented
out all lines of rc.net except the /etc/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 and
/etc/route add localhost lines.  The HOSTNAME file contains "pacolopez" (my
machine name).  The /etc/hosts file contains:

                        127.0.0.1       loopback
                        128.0.1.1       pacolopez.smg.nt.com pacolopez

and resolve.conf contains :  domain smg.nt.com

I believe that is everything.
Now, my problem is that I log onto a VC as myself (smgallo) and I want to
rlogin to another account, say smgallo again.  I type "rlogin pacolopez",
it asks for my password, and logs me onto p0.  I get a message "POSSIBLE I/O"
when I log in.  Now, when I log out of the rlogin session, I am logged off of
the VC, not the rlogin session.  If I log in as root and do a finger, it shows
that I am still logged onto p0, but I can't get to that login.  If I am root
and type "rlogin pacolopez -l smgallo" it logs me in as smgallo and when I
logout I am back to the root account, as it should be.

I'm stuck on this one.  Any solutions?

Thanks,
Steve
--
Steven M. Gallo                         "If you don't expect too much from
SUNY at Buffalo, Dept. of Comp. Sci.     me you might not be let down.."

1. rlogin problem

I have 4 SCO machines and 1 VAX. I have just added a twin pentium Shugun
running OS5. I can rlogin to all machines in any direction except when
rloging from the VAX to the Shogun. It will let me do it one or two
times but will then hang directly I type rlogin shogun. It may wait
10 to 15 minutes before proceeding but usually I have to interrupt.
I can telnet,ftp,rcp no problem. I have no problems with the earlier
versions of SCO on the other machines. It is only the rlogin command
between the VAX and the Shogun that has this problem.
Can anybody help me to sort this one out please.
--

2. Permanently chg MTU size in Solaris

3. rlogin problems to Sun, HP

4. What NT lacks (was Re: Revenge of the Hobbyists?)

5. rlogin problem

6. Problems with swap

7. Telnet / Rlogin problem : characters, network hangs

8. Connecting 3270 terminals to SCO

9. telnet and rlogins problems

10. Q:rlogin problem

11. telnet & rlogin problem