Term 1.08 + what ftp?

Post by Kirby Kost » Tue, 02 Nov 1993 23:49:18

I just got term 1.08 going for the first time (I played around with 1.07 a
bit too) anyway, I'm wondering what is the best way to get ftp access from my
linux box. I tried ncftp last nite which seems good, but it totally locks up
after downloads.  Could this be because of the new version of term, I know
the doc said something about having to change some system calls.  Anyway are
there any other options available?  Maybe an xclient or something?

Kirby

[.sig not currently supported]

Term 1.08 + what ftp?

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Thu, 04 Nov 1993 02:33:14

>I just got term 1.08 going for the first time (I played around with 1.07 a
>bit too) anyway, I'm wondering what is the best way to get ftp access from my
>linux box. I tried ncftp last nite which seems good, but it totally locks up
>after downloads.  Could this be because of the new version of term, I know
>the doc said something about having to change some system calls.  Anyway are
>there any other options available?  Maybe an xclient or something?
>Kirby

>[.sig not currently supported]

I am running term1.08 on a SPARC Solaris 2.1 machine local, connected to a
SunOS 4.1.3 remote server.  My old ncftp+term binaries (compiled at the time
I did term1.07) upload (this did not work with 1.07) and download just fine,
and return to the local prompt just as they should.  I am not clear if you
are maybe trying to use plain ncftp?

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Gopher,News and sendmail maintainer, all around hack /________/ /  /  / /

Term 1.08 + what ftp?

Post by Kirby Kost » Thu, 04 Nov 1993 23:47:18

>>I just got term 1.08 going for the first time (I played around with 1.07 a
>>bit too) anyway, I'm wondering what is the best way to get ftp access from my
>>linux box. I tried ncftp last nite which seems good, but it totally locks up
>>after downloads.  Could this be because of the new version of term, I know
>>the doc said something about having to change some system calls.  Anyway are
>>there any other options available?  Maybe an xclient or something?

>I am running term1.08 on a SPARC Solaris 2.1 machine local, connected to a
>SunOS 4.1.3 remote server.  My old ncftp+term binaries (compiled at the time
>I did term1.07) upload (this did not work with 1.07) and download just fine,
>and return to the local prompt just as they should.  I am not clear if you
>are maybe trying to use plain ncftp?

What version of ncftp are you using?  I have ncftp160b+term (no source) and
with term 1.08 it works fine except when downloading it locks up at the end
of the file.  The file still makes it to the machine ... I just never get a
prompt back.  Ncftp still responds to some commands in the sense that it will
try to abort and give a message accordingly about trying to abort, but the
only way out seems to be kill -9  8-(!  I'm really curious to know if it
could possibly be anything in my termrc like escaped characters that ncftp
needs or something like that?  I currently escaping 17,19,30,141,158 although
I also have ignore 17 and ignore 19.  Does that even make sense? Help!!!!

BTW - I'm connecting my linux box to a SPARC 2000 running Solaris 2.2.  The
term binaries compiled pretty well there, I only had to add two extern
declarations to one or the source files for some reason?  If I remember they
were optarg and optind.  So I don't think the remote binaries are the
problem.

I'm interested in any comments, heck I'm interested in just BS'in if you've
got the time.  Send mail.  8^)

Kirby Koster

[.sig requires too much bandwidth]

1. term 1.08 && v.42bis => !work

I've use term happily for several months with a clean 2400 bps connection
(no escapes, id est), and recently discovered that the modems I connect to
can support v.42bis, which should at least slightly improve my throughput.
I'm using v.42bis now without term.

I tried using term, but I've failed to make it work. I know term 1.08
defaults to 2400 bps, and I'd set the interface speed to 19.2k on my modem,
so I started term on the remote end with no flags and then jumped back and
used 'term -s 19200 >/dev/modem </dev/modem'. trsh just gave me noise, and
when I'd try to reconnect and 000000-out of the remote end, it'd be locked up.
When I try to dial back into that modem, I get a long, never-ending string of
~?'s.

I've tried several different interface speeds, including 9600 and 4800,
and started term at those speeds on the remote end each time. All for nought.
All it seems to do is lock up a modem (our terminal server is stupid). The
odd thing is that using the connection without term is very clean and
workable. Noticeably faster than with v.42bis.

Is there some way to change the default interface speed in linux for the modem
device? I think this must have ought to do with it, as you can copy things
to /dev/modem and they always seemed to go out fine at 2400 bps, but I know
that has to be set somewhere. Where? How do I change it? And why does term
seem to lock up on the remote end with the 0's?

Thanks. Reply here or via email.

 - Mark

--
Mark R. Lindsey          [][] South Georgia Digital Research Institute

2. Fragmentation will kill Linux :(

3. Help: cannot get term 1.08 to work

4. Using a Soundblaster Vibra 16 with Solaris 7 (Intel)

5. Term 1.08 (blocking?)

6. how to find size of block device like /dev/hda

7. Term 1.08 Hangs/Fails

8. Having trouble configuring 2 tulip ethernet cards

9. Term 1.08 one way (with 16550A)

10. Term 1.08 sends nothing to remote host

11. term 1.08 problem (modem hangs)

12. Term 1.08 Hanging

13. Slackware 1.10, XFree86-2.0, Term 1.08 problem