Problem with Smail 3.1.29.1 under Linux 1.3.12

Problem with Smail 3.1.29.1 under Linux 1.3.12

Post by Paul Ba » Mon, 11 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I've been trying for a couple fo days to get Smail 3.1.29.1 running under
Linux 1.2.13 (Slackware 3.0) without much luck. Mail going outside the local
machine works fine but local delivery fails. Well, actually sometimes it
works and sometimes it doesn't. Mostly it doesn't. To test this, I've been
entering the following command (as root):

        smail -d userid <testfile

where testfile is just something I had lying around and userid is one of
several things:

 - if userid is an invalid local user (i.e. not in the passwd file)
   the smail debug output correctly indicates that the user is unknown.

 - if userid is pbash (a valid user), I get
   "... deferred: (ERR_134) transport local: failed to lock mailbox".
   Further investigation reveales that this is failing with a
   "Permission denied" error trying to lock "/var/spool/mail/pbash".
   /var/spool/mail/pbash exists and has owner "pbash" and group "mail"
   with "-rw-rw----" permissions. Smail is installed suid root.

 - if userid is "root", I get a segmentation fault (this is repeatable)

 - if userid is "postmaster", an alias for root, the mail is correctly
   delivered to root! (???)

Just from looking at the code, it seems that part of the problem is that
smail defaulted to the "nobody" userid for some reason. The code implies that
for some reason it couldn't find "pbash" so it took a default. The problem
is that "pbash" certainly exists. None of this explains the segmentation
fault when trying to mail root.

I built smail from scratch using the conf/os/linux configuration file. While
this was done for a Debian release, I've not seen anything in it that
wouldn't work for Slackware.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

--
Paul Bash

Post by Soenke Lan » Tue, 12 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>I've been trying for a couple fo days to get Smail 3.1.29.1 running under
>Linux 1.2.13 (Slackware 3.0) without much luck. Mail going outside the local
>machine works fine but local delivery fails. Well, actually sometimes it
>works and sometimes it doesn't. Mostly it doesn't. To test this, I've been
>entering the following command (as root):
>    smail -d userid <testfile
>where testfile is just something I had lying around and userid is one of
>several things:
> - if userid is an invalid local user (i.e. not in the passwd file)
>   the smail debug output correctly indicates that the user is unknown.
> - if userid is pbash (a valid user), I get
>   "... deferred: (ERR_134) transport local: failed to lock mailbox".
>   Further investigation reveales that this is failing with a
>   "Permission denied" error trying to lock "/var/spool/mail/pbash".
>   /var/spool/mail/pbash exists and has owner "pbash" and group "mail"
>   with "-rw-rw----" permissions. Smail is installed suid root.
> - if userid is "root", I get a segmentation fault (this is repeatable)
> - if userid is "postmaster", an alias for root, the mail is correctly
>   delivered to root! (???)
>Just from looking at the code, it seems that part of the problem is that
>smail defaulted to the "nobody" userid for some reason. The code implies that
>for some reason it couldn't find "pbash" so it took a default. The problem
>is that "pbash" certainly exists. None of this explains the segmentation
>fault when trying to mail root.
>I built smail from scratch using the conf/os/linux configuration file. While
>this was done for a Debian release, I've not seen anything in it that
>wouldn't work for Slackware.
>Any help at all would be appreciated.

Take a look at the smail-Package in debian.

It's worth the ....

Ciao
        Soenke

Problem with Smail 3.1.29.1 under Linux 1.3.12

Post by Steven Nun » Tue, 12 Mar 1996 04:00:00

    Paul> I've been trying for a couple fo days to get Smail 3.1.29.1
    Paul> running under Linux 1.2.13 (Slackware 3.0) without much
    Paul> luck. Mail going outside the local machine works fine but
    Paul> local delivery fails.

I've got a very similar problem. Local mail _is_ delivered fine, but I
suspect that this is because it's not going through smail (in fact I
know this is the case). I get an error:

followed a little later by:

03/11/96 18:03:46: open_spool: /var/spool/smail/input/0twGcp-000aELC: lock failed: Try again

The strange thing is, it's for ONE USER. This person happens to use
pop3 to get his mail, but I don't think that has anything to do with
it. I've checked permissions on everything, and they look right.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

        - SteveN

Post by David Woolle » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> - if userid is "root", I get a segmentation fault (this is repeatable)

The problem here is almost certainly the bug in fwdfile.c which causes it
to try to report a parent address for an address that has no parent
(reporting the caution status of the address).  Nigel Metherington's
patch for this simply adds a test to the code which writes the error
message to detect the NULL pointer, but I am not convinced that the
caution test is in the right place.

--

1. Problems installing Apache 1.3.12 & ApacheJServ 1.1.12

Machine Spec: Celeron Processor 400MHZ
Operating System: Linux Mandrake 7.0 Complete

I am using the "INSTALL" docs that came with ApacheJServ 1.1.12 and
trying to
build Apache with ApacheJServ support in it from the source files.

The doc has said to

./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local/apache
--activate-module=src/modules/jserv/libjserv.a
make
make install

Problem is I cannot find the file libjserv.a or mod_jserv.c in the
Apache 1.3.12 directory or any of its subdirectories.

The C files are in ApacheJServ 1.1.12 including mod_jserv.c but there is
no
libjserv.a only the file libjserv.module. Are these files equivalent???

Can someone please tell me what to do to configure Apache to work with
Apachejserv support please.

Thanks

Everill

2. DiskSuite Question re: /dev/md/admin

3. Problem installing apache 1.3.12 on RedHat Linux

4. Redhat 4.1 printing problem

5. VirtualHost problem with Apache 1.3.12 on Linux

6. Wordperfect for Linux - where to order from?

7. Problems starting Server (1.3.12 on Linux)

8. Modem pools/RAS: Digi or Equinox or anything else?

9. RedirectMatch problem - Apache 1.3.12 Bug?

10. Problems with mod_access in Apache 1.3.12

11. File Size problem using Apache 1.3.12 on Solaris

12. Problems compiling Apache 1.3.12 w/ mod_so

13. KSYMS problem when compiling 1.3.12