Problems mounting CD-ROM under Redhat 5.0

Problems mounting CD-ROM under Redhat 5.0

Post by Mitchell Wei » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I installed RedHat 5.0 last night -- my first experience with Linux.

The install routine recognized my CD-ROM drive right off the bat, and
the intall ran pretty well.  However, once Linux was installed, it
seems unable to mount the CD-ROM automatically when booting. In fact,
it generates an error message saying that "/dev/hdc" can't be found in
the files /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.  (This is true, in the sense that
there is no reference in those files to any device called "/dev/hdc"
-- but why is it even looking for such a device?) For the first few
boots, I was able to mount it manually after Linux had booted.

In the file system configuration utility that comes with this
distribution, the CD-ROM was originally designated as /dev/cdrom and
the mount point as /mnt/cdrom.  The files system should, I believe, be
ISO9660.  But now when I run the utility, I can't get it to
acknowledge ISO9660 as a possible file system (the only permissible
choices are ext2, msdos, vfat, nfs, and isofs) and I can't mount it at
all.

My hard drives are both SCSI (designated as sda and sdb) and I have
Linux installed on the second drive; the primary partition is
designated sdb1.  The CD-ROM, however, is an IDE device running off a
sound card.

How do I get the OS to recognize the CD-ROM dependably, and why do I
get these mysterious references to "/dev/hdc"?

Any help would be appreciated.

**************************
Mitchell Weitz

delete "nospam" for email
**************************

Post by Mark E. Byer » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I installed RedHat 5.0 last night -- my first experience with Linux.

> The install routine recognized my CD-ROM drive right off the bat, and
> the intall ran pretty well.  However, once Linux was installed, it
> seems unable to mount the CD-ROM automatically when booting. In fact,
> it generates an error message saying that "/dev/hdc" can't be found in
> the files /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.  (This is true, in the sense that
> there is no reference in those files to any device called "/dev/hdc"
> -- but why is it even looking for such a device?) For the first few
> boots, I was able to mount it manually after Linux had booted.

> In the file system configuration utility that comes with this
> distribution, the CD-ROM was originally designated as /dev/cdrom and
> the mount point as /mnt/cdrom.  The files system should, I believe, be
> ISO9660.  But now when I run the utility, I can't get it to
> acknowledge ISO9660 as a possible file system (the only permissible
> choices are ext2, msdos, vfat, nfs, and isofs) and I can't mount it at
> all.

> My hard drives are both SCSI (designated as sda and sdb) and I have
> Linux installed on the second drive; the primary partition is
> designated sdb1.  The CD-ROM, however, is an IDE device running off a
> sound card.

> How do I get the OS to recognize the CD-ROM dependably, and why do I
> get these mysterious references to "/dev/hdc"?

> Any help would be appreciated.

> **************************
> Mitchell Weitz

> delete "nospam" for email
> **************************

I use mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom to mount my cdrom under Red Hat 5.0.
If you installed from cdrom this should work.

Mark

Problems mounting CD-ROM under Redhat 5.0

Post by Stan Roc » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

are you typing this format?

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

If not thats your problem!  If its exactly the same then you have to
reconfig. some stuff.

Let me know via this group.

Stan

Post by Navin Sharm » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I installed RedHat 5.0 last night -- my first experience with Linux.

> The install routine recognized my CD-ROM drive right off the bat, and
> the intall ran pretty well.  However, once Linux was installed, it
> seems unable to mount the CD-ROM automatically when booting. In fact,
> it generates an error message saying that "/dev/hdc" can't be found in
> the files /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.  (This is true, in the sense that
> there is no reference in those files to any device called "/dev/hdc"
> -- but why is it even looking for such a device?) For the first few
> boots, I was able to mount it manually after Linux had booted.

> In the file system configuration utility that comes with this
> distribution, the CD-ROM was originally designated as /dev/cdrom and
> the mount point as /mnt/cdrom.  The files system should, I believe, be
> ISO9660.  But now when I run the utility, I can't get it to
> acknowledge ISO9660 as a possible file system (the only permissible
> choices are ext2, msdos, vfat, nfs, and isofs) and I can't mount it at
> all.

> My hard drives are both SCSI (designated as sda and sdb) and I have
> Linux installed on the second drive; the primary partition is
> designated sdb1.  The CD-ROM, however, is an IDE device running off a
> sound card.

> How do I get the OS to recognize the CD-ROM dependably, and why do I
> get these mysterious references to "/dev/hdc"?

> Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, I had the same problem, and what I did to solve it was to edit my
/etc/fstab file.  You have to replace the source (I think?) which is /dev/cdrom
with /dev/hdc.  This worked for me, and I can mount it without any problems now.

--
Navin Sharma
remove SPAMSTOP

Problems mounting CD-ROM under Redhat 5.0

Post by ayrap.. » Sun, 05 Jul 1998 04:00:00

i have the EXACT same problem.. and i have been typing

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom and it just tells me that iso9660
is still not supported by the kernel.. but i installed from the cd!..

what shall we do?

>are you typing this format?

>mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

>If not thats your problem!  If its exactly the same then you have to
>reconfig. some stuff.

>Let me know via this group.

>Stan

>>I installed RedHat 5.0 last night -- my first experience with Linux.

>>The install routine recognized my CD-ROM drive right off the bat, and
>>the intall ran pretty well.  However, once Linux was installed, it
>>seems unable to mount the CD-ROM automatically when booting. In fact,
>>it generates an error message saying that "/dev/hdc" can't be found in
>>the files /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.  (This is true, in the sense that
>>there is no reference in those files to any device called "/dev/hdc"
>>-- but why is it even looking for such a device?) For the first few
>>boots, I was able to mount it manually after Linux had booted.

>>In the file system configuration utility that comes with this
>>distribution, the CD-ROM was originally designated as /dev/cdrom and
>>the mount point as /mnt/cdrom.  The files system should, I believe, be
>>ISO9660.  But now when I run the utility, I can't get it to
>>acknowledge ISO9660 as a possible file system (the only permissible
>>choices are ext2, msdos, vfat, nfs, and isofs) and I can't mount it at
>>all.

>>My hard drives are both SCSI (designated as sda and sdb) and I have
>>Linux installed on the second drive; the primary partition is
>>designated sdb1.  The CD-ROM, however, is an IDE device running off a
>>sound card.

>>How do I get the OS to recognize the CD-ROM dependably, and why do I
>>get these mysterious references to "/dev/hdc"?

>>Any help would be appreciated.

>>**************************
>>Mitchell Weitz

>>delete "nospam" for email
>>**************************

Problems mounting CD-ROM under Redhat 5.0

Post by Scott Fraze » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem.  I was initially able to mount the cdrom
using "mount /dev/cdrom", then started messing around with some
things to get various hardware working.  Later, I couldn't mount
the cdrom anymore, and thought I had somehow broken the kernel.
But as I watched the boot up messages flying by, I saw that I had
an error in my lilo configuration file ( I had typed "mem=64M"",
notice the extra " ).  I fixed this, reran lilo and everything
started magically working again.

Scott

P.S.
I thought I was going to have to rebuild the kernel, but how do
you get the sources from off the cdrom you can't access?  There is
a '/something .../modules/fs' directory somewhere (I'm at work and
can't remember where exactly) that has some '*.o' files in it.
Type "insmod iso9660.o" (I don't think iso9660.o is the right
filename, but you get the idea) and the 'mount' command will work.

Post by Perr » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>I appreciate this lead, but I am very confused by what I find on my system:

>My modules are in /lib/modules/2.0.31, and the subdirectories there are:

>block   cdrom   fs      ipv4    misc    net     pcmcia  scsi

>Within the cdrom and fs directories (the ones where I would expect iso9660
>support might be), there is nothing that is obviously support for iso9660:

>cdrom/:
>aztcd.o      cdu31a.o     isp16.o      optcd.o      sonycd535.o
>bpcd.o       cm206.o      mcd.o        sbpcd.o
>cdrom.o      gscd.o       mcdx.o       sjcd.o

>fs/:
>autofs.o  hpfs.o    minix.o   nfs.o     sysv.o    umsdos.o  xiafs.o
>ext.o     isofs.o   ncpfs.o   smbfs.o   ufs.o     vfat.o

>When I try to insmod any of these (in particular, I tried the cdrom.o and the
>isofs.o), I get the following error:

>isofs.o: kernel-module version mismatch
>        isofs.o was compiled for kernel version 2.0.31
>        while this kernel is version 2.0.30.

>If I try to force it, I get symbol mismatches:

>Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
>        cdrom.o was compiled for kernel version 2.0.31
>        while this kernel is version 2.0.30

                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe you're running an older kernel.  Try "uname -a" and see what the
kernel reports.  Check the setup in /etc/lilo.conf to make sure you're
booting the right kernel image.  Then rerun lilo.

Quote:>Does anyone have any ideas why my kernel would have been built with 2.0.30
>while the modules are are for 2.0.31?  Is this normal with RH5.0?  In any
>case, does anyone know which of these modules is supposed to be the iso9660
>support, or why the installation left it out in the first place?

Check your source tree  (/usr/src/linux),  does "ls -l /usr/src/linux"
link to something like linux-2.0.31 ?  I'm assuming you've got the
source for 2.0.31 since your modules dir is listed as such.  Your
experience is definitely not normal, I've used RH5.0 for a couple of
months now and rebuilt the kernel many times, but I only had one
source tree for each kernel version.  After upgrading to 2.0.34 I
deleted the older 2.0.32 sources.

>Any help is greatly appreciated.

>David Alt

You're welcome, good luck.
--
Perry

Otherwise:
aceperry <AT> earthlink <DOT> net
__

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. escape-sequences for scrolling on sun-cmd ?

3. Problem with RedHat 5.0 Custom CD-ROM

4. 2.4.20: lib/vsprintf.c: Fix vsscanf of hex digits

5. RedHat 5.0 Installation Problem NEC CD-ROM?

6. xrn for aix

7. Redhat 5.0 not letting me mount CD ROM.

8. Req: ksh93 info/site

9. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

10. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

11. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

12. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

13. Can't mount ISO9660 CD-ROM in OSE 5.0