What is inode zero dtime?

Post by Craig Shrimpt » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 03:52:24

Greetings,

When efsck runs after an abnormal shutdown it occasionally finds and deletes
inodes with zero dtime.  What does that mean and should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Craig

What is inode zero dtime?

Post by Ruurd Pe » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 03:44:14

> When efsck runs after an abnormal shutdown it occasionally finds and
> deletes inodes with zero dtime.  What does that mean and should I be
> concerned?

This is the power of having the kernel source of Linux. Look at the header-
files regarding ext2 filesystems, and you'll soon find out that there is a
struct member in the inode structure called i_dtime. The explanation is
right beside it. Deletion time. Now, it's a bit odd for ext2 filesystems
to have a deletion time of 1-1-1970 0:00, isn't it? Anyway. What it proba-
bly means is that e2fsck determines that the inode is indeed deleted, but
that its deletion time is not recorded. AFAIK, nothing serious.
--
Grtz, RFP ;-)

 |o|     Ruurd Pels, Kamgras 187, 8935 EJ  Leeuwarden, The Netherlands   |o|
 |o| GC2.1 GAT/!/?/CS/B -d+(---) H s !g p? a w--(+++) v--(+++) C++ UL+++ |o|
 |o| P? L++ !3 E? N++ !V t+ !5 !j G?  tv- b++ D B? u++(---) h-- f? y++++ |o|

What is inode zero dtime?

Post by Phil Howa » Fri, 10 Feb 1995 09:00:02

>When efsck runs after an abnormal shutdown it occasionally finds and deletes
>inodes with zero dtime.  What does that mean and should I be concerned?

It is probably files that were being opened as new at the time of the
abnormal shutdown and the date hadn't been filled in yet.

You probably need not be concered about them any more than other lost
file, and probably less.  It depends on what program was writing them.
--
Phil Howard KA9WGN      | Absolutely no trees were killed to produce this sig.
Unix/Internet/Sys Admin | Well, OK, we had to tie one up and torture it.  Then