File system crash..PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Post by Pradeepto K Bhattachar » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 23:25:35

:)

  Well I have landed up with this problem(rather it is my buddy who is
but doesnot have a net conn.). Well,

  Recently while the system was on the power went out.Then when the
system was started later this was the following error message:

[error]
X conflicts failed in /var/run (176519) has a incorrect file type was
OT should be 7
Run fsck manually witout option -a -p
An error occured during the filesystem
Dropping you to a shell.When you leave the shell give root password
from maintainance.Press Control+D for normal starting.
[/error]

  Now when root password is typed in, the system doesnot accept the
root password.Gives Incorrect password.I assure the password is
correct.
  If Ctrl+D is pressed the whole process happens all over again.

  What is supposed to done to bring up the system back again?Has Linux
to be installed again on a clean partiton or can the problem be solved
without that(would be so much better if possible)?

  For the sake of completeness,
  Distro : RedHat 7.1
  GUI    : Gnome

  Please please help.Really APPRETIATE any help.THANX in advance.

Regards
Pradeepto

File system crash..PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Post by Bill Marcu » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 00:29:18

On 14 Nov 2002 06:25:35 -0800,

Quote:>:)

>   Well I have landed up with this problem(rather it is my buddy who is
> but doesnot have a net conn.). Well,

>   Recently while the system was on the power went out.Then when the
> system was started later this was the following error message:

> [error]
> X conflicts failed in /var/run (176519) has a incorrect file type was
> OT should be 7
> Run fsck manually witout option -a -p
> An error occured during the filesystem
> Dropping you to a shell.When you leave the shell give root password
> from maintainance.Press Control+D for normal starting.
> [/error]

>   Now when root password is typed in, the system doesnot accept the
> root password.Gives Incorrect password.I assure the password is
> correct.
>   If Ctrl+D is pressed the whole process happens all over again.

>   What is supposed to done to bring up the system back again?Has Linux
> to be installed again on a clean partiton or can the problem be solved
> without that(would be so much better if possible)?

Did you run fsck as it said to?  You might have to reinstall Linux.  At
least you will probably need to boot from the CDROM in rescue mode, and
copy the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files from the CD to the root partition.

Just setting up FreeBSD 4, and I notice a number of differences in the
sendmail config system.  All good, I hope.

Anyway - My problem is a fairly simple one.  I cannot forward mail to my
internal machines.

/etc/mail/virtusertable:

/etc/mail/sendmail.cw contains esb.co.uk

Mail is recieved by the server, but mailq gives me:

                                (Deferred: Name server: euro2.esb.co.uk.:
host name lookup failed)

The DNS is set up okay as far as I can see...

Should the last full stop be there in the deferred message?  If not, where
will it be getting it from?

Help?

Matt

--
You can kill the revolutionary
But you can't kill the revolution!

2. Top 10 posters comp.unix.questions

3. NFS please help me please please please sniff

4. lint

5. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SAMBA ??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ????

6. Need HW Comaptibility List

7. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

8. Gigabit Ethernet problems under Linux

9. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

10. please please please help me!

11. Please Please Please HELP

12. Please, please, please- can anyone provide any help?