Slackware install using Sony CDU-55e CDROM?

Slackware install using Sony CDU-55e CDROM?

Post by John Hanh Nguy » Thu, 23 Feb 1995 16:21:17

I need some hlep installing the infomagic slackware distribution.
The problem is, that I can't seem to get the bootdisk or install
program to recognize or support my cdrom (CDU-55e)

Can anyone tell me how to remedy this problem?

Thanks!

John

Post by Paul S. Aspinwa » Thu, 02 Mar 1995 07:03:26

: I need some hlep installing the infomagic slackware distribution.
: The problem is, that I can't seem to get the bootdisk or install
: program to recognize or support my cdrom (CDU-55e)

: Can anyone tell me how to remedy this problem?

: Thanks!

: John

If it's the same InfoMagic CD that I have (Dec '94 I think) then the
IDE-CDROM support you need is not there. You have to install Linux
by copying the necessary files to a DOS partition and install from
there. Once you have installed Linux this way you get a recent kernel
from sunsite and upgrade. Then your CD should work!

Paul.

--

Paul S. Aspinwall                         Tel: +1-607-255-4711
Newman Lab of Nuclear Sciences            FAX: +1-607-254-4552

NY 14853
U.S.A.

Post by Peter Baumgartn » Fri, 03 Mar 1995 20:11:01

> : I need some hlep installing the infomagic slackware distribution.
> : The problem is, that I can't seem to get the bootdisk or install
> : program to recognize or support my cdrom (CDU-55e)
> : Can anyone tell me how to remedy this problem?
> : Thanks!
> : John
> If it's the same InfoMagic CD that I have (Dec '94 I think) then the
> IDE-CDROM support you need is not there. You have to install Linux
> by copying the necessary files to a DOS partition and install from
> there. Once you have installed Linux this way you get a recent kernel
> from sunsite and upgrade. Then your CD should work!

I tried to use the IDE-CDROM support from sunsite (October 94 or so)
with my CDU-55. Seems like the support was written for a NEC
cd-rom drive. I didn't get it work for the CDU-55. All I got was a blocked
drive (couldn't open the door anymore) when accessing the driver.

Any idea what to do?

        Peter
--
-------------------------------+----------------------------------------------
Peter Baumgartner              | Voice:    +49 261 9119-426

56075 Koblenz                  | WWW:
Germany                        |   http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~peter/index.html
-------------------------------+----------------------------------------------

1. Using Sony CDU-55E with Slackware dist

I'm trying to install a Slackware distribution on my computer
from a CD I got.  When I go through the install procedure, it
does not recognize my CD.  I hate asking such a generic question,
but am missing something?  Are the boot/root disks perhaps not
mounting the CD?

Thanks,

Phil

2. netscape is slow

3. Sony CDU-55E CDROM Install

4. Network can't communicate

5. Sony CDU-55E - Need boot disk image to load linux from cdrom

6. Reverse Racism...

7. CDROM Sony CDU-55E occasional hangup???

8. Cannot print in Redhat 7

9. IDE CDROM - SONY CDU-55E

10. Trouble w/ Sony CDU-55E and Slackware 2.3

11. Sony CDU-55E CDROM -- will the alpha NEC CDR-260 driver work?

12. SONY CDU-55E CDROM??????%#@!!!!!!!!

13. Sony CDU-55E CDROM Drive