Hayes ESP card as /dev/ttyS2 under Linux

Hayes ESP card as /dev/ttyS2 under Linux

Post by jeff bur » Fri, 03 Mar 1995 10:23:30

Hello,

I am attempting to get my Hayes ESP card to work under Linux.

Supposedly I can use it as a 16550 type port, but I've been unsuccesfull
in getting it to work thus far.

I have added the appropriate "setserial" command to my rc.local but when
I attempt to access the port using CKermit or for a slip connection
I have no luck. I am able to use /dev/ttyS0 & ttyS1 for either of these
applications. If anyone has had any luck using their ESP card with Linux
I would be very grateful for any suggestions you may have.

I presently would simply like to use the card in its "16550" mode, after
I've tackled that I'll investigate into using it in its "enhanced UART"
mode.

I do use the port under OS/2 3.0 at address 0x180 and irq 12, can I get
the port to work under Linux with these settings or must I use the
"standard" values for COM3.

my setserial command in rc.local is:
/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550 port 0x180 irq 12

(or something like that...I'm away from my home computer right now.)

Thank you for your help,
Jeff Burch

1. need help w/ Hayes ESP serial card and Linux

I recently (ok, yesterday) purchased a Hayes 1-port ESP serial accelerator
"for windows". I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that I'm having
trouble with it in Linux, even though the card is supposed to be backward
compatible with the 16550,16450. I have the card set up as com1 (3F8) using
irq 9 and I am using setserial to tell this to Linux. (Linux does identify
the card as a 16550A upon boot up.) I was previously using my modem on
Com2, so I had to remake the /dev/modem file so it pointed to the right
spot. Using kermit, I can send commands to my modem. I can get it to dial
and everything, but I AM NOT GETTING ANY FEEDBACK FROM THE MODEM.

Is there some other program which tells Linux how to interact with
/dev/modem which I need to change, or is it just impossible to use this
card. I find it hard to believe that if I can send commands to my modem
through this port, that I can't recieve responses back through it. I have
already looked through the FAQ and have not found any help there.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Glenn

2. NAT inside one subnet

3. Hayes ESP cards in Linux

4. Solaris on a ThinkPad

5. Linux, PPPd, and a Hayes ESP card.

6. Proxy socks.conf location??

7. Hayes ESP card under LINUX?

8. routing problems

9. Hayes ESP serial card

10. Hayes ESP-2 modem card

11. Any experiences with Hayes ESP serial card?

12. Hayes ESP serial card

13. Dial UP support on Redhat 5.1 and I have Hayes ESP card on com2