HELP! keyboard & I/O problem

Post by Madjid Mousa » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 22:27:30

I upgraded my motherboard from 50MHZ to 66MHZ, and now I frequently get
keyboard error when I am typing. Also the whole I/O response time gets
so slow sometimes that it takes a few second to see what I type on the screen!
It seems like CPU does not respond to anything every few seconds.
The starnge thing about this is that I don't have this problem when
I am running DOS. If this is a Hardware problem how come I don't have
this problem under DOS. Is there any bios incompatability?
I am running LINUX 1.1.18, sbpcd kernel. I have Award bios on
my mother board and Soundblaster/CD.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Madjid Mousavi

HELP! keyboard & I/O problem

Post by Andries Brouw » Sun, 16 Oct 1994 02:02:16

>I upgraded my motherboard from 50MHZ to 66MHZ, and now I frequently get
>keyboard error when I am typing. Also the whole I/O response time gets
>so slow sometimes that it takes a few second to see what I type on the screen!
>It seems like CPU does not respond to anything every few seconds.

I could imagine that your keyboard cannot handle the change,
and is producing large bursts of keyboard errors.
If that is the case, then the printk's will slow you down.
(Do you have thousands of lines "keyboard error" in your kernel log?)
You can change keyboard.c and put #undef KBD_REPORT_ERROR
to get rid of the warnings.