HELP install software in linux

Post by newbor » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:21:12

I downloaded the Java 2 into 'home' - 'temp' folder, unlike MsWin, to
install the software, all you have to do is just a click. But this isn't
the case in linux. it does not respond, neither do I understand the
install explanation from the sun.com web site.

Can someone please help explain it in layman term for this new arrival
dump ass like me?

for instant : how to begin, where to place the software, what procedure
is the proper way...etc

Thanks in advance.

Post by Ken Parke » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:25:34

>I downloaded the Java 2 into 'home' - 'temp' folder, unlike MsWin, to
>install the software, all you have to do is just a click. But this isn't
>the case in linux. it does not respond, neither do I understand the
>install explanation from the sun.com web site.

>Can someone please help explain it

What is the complete file name of what you have in  /home/temp ?
Ken.

Post by Mike Junel » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:03:13

> I downloaded the Java 2 into 'home' - 'temp' folder, unlike MsWin, to
> install the software, all you have to do is just a click. But this isn't
> the case in linux. it does not respond, neither do I understand the
> install explanation from the sun.com web site.

> Can someone please help explain it in layman term for this new arrival
> dump ass like me?

> for instant : how to begin, where to place the software, what procedure
> is the proper way...etc

> Thanks in advance.

I, also a newbie, have a similar confusion. With Lycorix Linux:

a) I am able to copy files to /home/myusername... but I've run out of file
space. How does one change file space allotment in Linux?

b) Downloading .rpms doesn't necessarily install in the GUI KDE; have to
open a shell to perform an executable (case in point, Roaring Penguin's ADSL
dialer).

Very confusing, but I like the idea of not being tethered to Windoze... any
help would be appreciated.

--

Best regards,

 Mike Junell

<------------------------>

  http://www.junell.com
<------------------------>

Post by non » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:19:40

>>I downloaded the Java 2 into 'home' - 'temp' folder, unlike MsWin, to
>>install the software, all you have to do is just a click. But this isn't
>>the case in linux. it does not respond, neither do I understand the
>>install explanation from the sun.com web site.

>>Can someone please help explain it in layman term for this new arrival
>>dump ass like me?

>>for instant : how to begin, where to place the software, what procedure
>>is the proper way...etc

>>Thanks in advance.

> I, also a newbie, have a similar confusion. With Lycorix Linux:

> a) I am able to copy files to /home/myusername... but I've run out of file
> space. How does one change file space allotment in Linux?

> b) Downloading .rpms doesn't necessarily install in the GUI KDE; have to
> open a shell to perform an executable (case in point, Roaring Penguin's ADSL
> dialer).

> Very confusing, but I like the idea of not being tethered to Windoze... any
> help would be appreciated.

> --

> Best regards,

>  Mike Junell

OK fellas, i'm pretty new to this too, i had a bit of trouble as well,
but i got it in the end.

Do you mean the java sdk or the jre? because this is how i installed the
java sdk (from an rpm):

Password:

(Then you have to read the licence, and then it unpacks the rpm).

and that installs it.

hope this helps.

bennett

1. Help in installing software for Linux

Can someone please point me to a HOWTO or manpage where it explains
step by step how to install software under linux?  Specifically
I'm trying to get Netscape installed but since I'm very new to the OS
I really don't know how to install anything.  I've been able to gzip -d
and tar -xvf the file but after that nothing.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Jeff

2. Trident TGUI9440 drivers

3. Help installing new software in Linux

4. tips on diskless client troubleshooting

5. Need help with installing software on linux

6. [RFC] 2.5.44 (2/2): Filesystem capabilities user tool (inhcaps)

7. Help needed with Linux software install

8. "Stack Errors"

9. HELP!! - Installing New Software on Linux Box

10. Help installing X contrib software on Linux system

11. Difference between Installing from Ins Svr and Boot Svr?

12. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?