Getting started

Post by Matt » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Guys,

I would like to get started in Unix... I have a spare box at the mo and
would like to put a Unix op system in it so I can try it out.  Any good
sites with info on how I can start?  Also, is Linux free?

Many Thanks,

Matt

Getting started

Post by Rob Kro » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi Guys,

>I would like to get started in Unix... I have a spare box at the mo and
>would like to put a Unix op system in it so I can try it out.  Any good
>sites with info on how I can start?  Also, is Linux free?

Yes, Linux is free. As for where to start, that entirely depends on your
preferences, but for the most part Linux Distros are about the same.

Check out http://www.linux.org/ and you'll find a complete listing of Linux
Distros, and will be able to download the one of your preference. I
personally would reccommend either RedHat or Corel, as they are (in my
limited experience) the most geared to ease of use/installation. RedHat is
also a very useful system to the more experienced Linux/Unix user.... (I'm
using it on my firewall, my mail server, my DNS server, and my DHCP
server.)

HTH
-RK
rkroll(at)ottawa(dot)com

Getting started

Post by Francoi » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Hi Guys,

>I would like to get started in Unix... I have a spare box at the mo and

Try first corel linux its easier for newbies...but then you'll have to find out
what are the lacks in this distrib.
have been thru for now 3 weeks only, started with rh6.2, had problems with
netscape (freezing with java script (not always, but at random..:-(
then shifted to corel, have different problems with netsscape again (disply of
japanese fonts for example)
most of explanation/troubleshouting are made for advanced not for new
comers...hopefully many people om the newsgroup help a lot!
I am still trying to get all what I need working, and its not obvious, but its
a challenge to shift to linux and its good for the brain!!
all the best
Francois

Getting started

Post by bernard chandle » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

 here is free unix not linux
http://www.sco.com/offers/
Sco Unix in a Nutshell
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565920376/webviator/002-29090...

SCO Companion: The Essential Guide for Users and System Administrators
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0134516834/webviator/002-29090...

Essential Sco System Administration
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/013290859X/webviator/002-29090...

--
http://www.nationwide.net/~bernie

1. getting started

I am compleatly new to linux and want to go about setting up a computer as a
server on a network i am building at the moment. I would like to know what
people recomend as to versions of linux and where i can down load them, and
also how to set up the server once i have the software.

Any help would be greatly apreciated
Antony Carr

2. who command does not show up all users

3. Newbie getting started developing in X

4. Name Server

5. GETTING STARTED with Apache

6. SuSe81: bad sound quality for my soundblaster card (missing the bass and the treble)

7. Help Getting Started

8. Problem encounter in crontab

9. Linux Installation and Getting Started v1.1

10. Getting Started

11. noo-bee q's, getting started..

12. Getting started with free VSD

13. Getting Started With Linux