Why am I not prompted for a password?

Post by Ron Henders » Tue, 21 Sep 1993 06:00:32

I had my linux system operating just as I wanted, after about a week's
worth of installation and problem solving.  The system dumped a core
during an X session, and hung.  I was unable to login thereafter.

I copied .login from SLS disk 1 to /etc on a hunch, and I can now login,
but no password prompt is issued for valid users (root, and others). There
*is* a password prompt for invalid usernames.  I also get a prompt for
remote logins, as well as su's.

Any suggestion as to how to get the password prompt back for normal logins?

--

THN C237                     UUCPNet :  ...!uunet!*ia!rhh2h
University of *ia       Voice   : " HEY Ron!! "

1. why am i still prompted for a password when i rlogin?

        i have edited /.rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv to be "+"
my NeXT box (NeXTStep 3.0) allows me to rlogin, but prompts me for a
password first. The SUN boxes on our LAN do this when they are freshly
loaded with the OS, but the aforementioned file editing does away with
such annoyances. what's up with the NeXT?

2. Suggestion on Video Card.

3. NCSA prompts twice for password? Why?

4. error in /var/log/messages

5. SMB,Why does WinXP prompt to enter password???

6. C-Shell

7. Why do I get a login/password prompt when I use a rexec command?

8. Help.

9. secure passwd.adjunct + pam + not set uid root binaries are not able to verify passwords - why?

10. Why am I not 'Logged in' ?

11. Why am I not getting the right port number?

12. Not prompted for root password anymore

13. Why am I not logged in wtmp?