Kernel Rebuild Error: Undefined symbol _sys_quotactl referenced...

Kernel Rebuild Error: Undefined symbol _sys_quotactl referenced...

Post by Richard Leyt » Fri, 21 Jan 1994 18:49:17

Hi.

Got a bit of a bug. Here are the details - Any help will be much appreciated:

Hardware: 486sx (With local bus facility - no cards using it tho :-( ), IDE Cache
Controller, Standard I/O card, 105 Mb Hard Disk, SVGA Monitor, SVGA Controller
Card, 4Mb Physical RAM. Soundblaster 16 MultiCD Player, Panasonic CR562 Double
Speed CD-ROM connected through SB16

Software: Running Linux 0.99.12 (SLS 1.02) - Installed with 7Mb Swap Partition.

Details:

Right - I want to access the files on my CD-ROM Drive (I got Linux on CD after
all, and have had to transfer files to Dos to access!). I have been attempting to
rebuild my kernel in order to do this. I have v2 of Matt Welsh's excellent book
"Linux Installation & Getting started".

I've followed the instructions to the letter - I created the symbolic links, I
have gcc and g++ on my system - I made config, and said "yes" to Sound blaster
cdrom support, and the iso9660 filesystem etc. I checked ROOT_DEV was current in
Makefile, and made dep.

I then attempted the make zImage, and the error:

kernel/kernel.o Undefined symbol _sys_quotactl referenced from data segements
make: ***[tools/zSystem] Error!

The command it was trying to process was (and its a biggy...)

ld -T100000 -M boot/head.o init/main.o tools/version.o kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o
fs/fs.o net/net.o ipc/ipc.o fs/filesystems.a kernel/blk_drv/blk_drv.a
kernel/chr_drv/chr_drv.a kernel/blk_drv/scsi/scsi.a kernel/chr_drv/sound/sound.a
ibcs/ibcs.o kernel/FPU-emu/math.a lib/lib.a -o tools/zSystem > zSystem.map

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, solutions?

I'm keen to resolve this problem, so any ideas greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Richard Leyton