Problem: Mounting Mitsumi CD-Rom

Post by Christoph Brandtn » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 04:55:22

Hi all!
I have got the following Problem :
Atempting to mount /dev/mcd to /cdrom by using iso9660
there appears the message :
"/mcd is already mounted or busy or other error"
But the device is not mounted yet !

During the installation it has ben mounted by using
mount -t iso9660 /dev/mcd /cdrom

Why doesn't it work anymore ?

Problem: Mounting Mitsumi CD-Rom

Post by JS Jens » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 06:26:24

I had that same problem!  What I think your problem is, is that your
kernel is not supporting this iso9660 format.  Go to your /etc/src
directory and recompile your kernel with iso9660 filesystem support.
Then add an appropriate line to your fstab file.

Later,
JSJ

--
[ J. Scott Jensen             ]

[ CS, CSM, CO                 ]

Post by Erik Cor » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 11:03:50

: Hi all!
: I have got the following Problem :
: Atempting to mount /dev/mcd to /cdrom by using iso9660
: there appears the message :
: "/mcd is already mounted or busy or other error"
: But the device is not mounted yet !

: During the installation it has ben mounted by using
: mount -t iso9660 /dev/mcd /cdrom

: Why doesn't it work anymore ?

The error messages from mount are very uninformative. Note that the message
says 'or some other error'. I seem to remember hearing that there are newer
versions of mount that are more helpful.

The command you show works for me. I have kernel 1.1.14 with the Mitsumi
speed patches from Unifix. On my system the device has a different name,
and I use a different mount directory. Doing 'ls -al' on /dev/mitsumi_cd
gives:

brw-r--r--   1 root     system    23,   0 Apr 21  1994  /dev/mitsumi_cd

i.e. a block device with major number 23, minor number 0. You could
try:

od -ahb /dev/mcd

to test whether the device is readable at all.

You should give more information about your setup, and check the boot messages
for Mitsumi errors. Does your kernel know the interrupt number of your
drive, or is it getting it wrong, for example. The kernel cannot detect
the interrupt number automatically, so you need to recompile with the correct
value, or use boot parameters in Lilo.

--
Erik Corry, Skagerrakstr. 2, 79100 Freiburg, Germany, +49 761 406637

Post by Rutger van de Gev » Sat, 10 Sep 1994 01:05:59

: I have got the following Problem :
: Atempting to mount /dev/mcd to /cdrom by using iso9660
: there appears the message :
: "/mcd is already mounted or busy or other error"
: But the device is not mounted yet !
: During the installation it has ben mounted by using
: mount -t iso9660 /dev/mcd /cdrom
: Why doesn't it work anymore ?

Well, I had the same problem: I had build the new kernel with iso9660
filesystem support. You should try to play a music CD with the "workman"
If that works you should try:
   mount -rt iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom
to mount the cdrom in readonly mode. It worked for me.
Also you should set the proper values for base-io address and interrupt
in the /usr/include/mcd.h file (if you can't play the music CD).

Regards,
Rutger.

| "Hey Worf, have you eaten any good books lately?" - Q in "Deja Q" ST:TNG |

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. xterm question

3. Problem with mounting Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM during installation of Slackware 2.0

4. CPP-Symbols

5. linux, Mitsumi CD-ROM (& SB), & the TA CD-ROM - solved!

6. Linux Setup Error Messages.. "Unable to read inode from dev 0x0200

7. Mounting a Mitsumi FX100D 2x CD-ROM

8. Compile/Port C Code to RS/6000

9. Mitsumi IDE CD-ROM - intermittent probs mounting

10. woes mounting Mitsumi CD-ROM

11. MITSUMI CD-ROM DRIVE MOUNTING

12. mounting: MITSUMI fx series IDE CD-ROM/ ATAPI

13. Mounting a Mitsumi FX100D 2x CD-ROM