Assistance with Linux (Slackware) 2.4.18 please :)

Assistance with Linux (Slackware) 2.4.18 please :)

Post by kkm » Sun, 20 Oct 2002 11:18:51

Hi guys

I've heard great things about Slackware and have a little background with
Linux and also FreeBSD.  I'm encoutering a few problems I have tried to
solve but cannot seem to.

The first one is the most important:

I currently have Slackware 8.1 (install CD) and Installed it.  Kernel
2.4.18.  I installed the basic kernel at installation.

I have a SMC PCI 10/100 EZ Ethernet Card.

On boot, Slackware did not recognize my SMC card (or say anything about
/dev/eth*)

How can I get the system to recognize it ?

Second and Lastly

I installed X-windows and WindowMaker.  My Microsoft IntelliMouse works fine
in Console, but when I do 'startx', and move the mouse around
it moves in seemingly random ways and also extremely fast.  It only moves
primarily along the edges of the screen too.

I tried disabling gpm, but this keeps my mouse from working at all in x

How might I get it to function properly?

Thanks a lot,
Muskrat

Post by mjt » Sun, 20 Oct 2002 11:45:32

> I currently have Slackware 8.1 (install CD) and Installed it.  Kernel
> 2.4.18.  I installed the basic kernel at installation.

> I have a SMC PCI 10/100 EZ Ethernet Card.
> On boot, Slackware did not recognize my SMC card (or say anything about
> /dev/eth*)

> How can I get the system to recognize it ?

although this is a red hat site doc, you can still
search for the driver you will need to load:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/ref-guide/s1-...

then you could execute, 'modprobe smc-ultra.o' - this is an example,
but from the previous URL list, it looks like the choice for you.

Quote:> I installed X-windows and WindowMaker.  My Microsoft IntelliMouse works
> fine in Console, but when I do 'startx', and move the mouse around
> it moves in seemingly random ways and also extremely fast.  It only moves
> primarily along the edges of the screen too.

write down you make/model for your video card, mouse, keybd,
and monitor(and the horiz and vert frequencies for your monitor).
then, do this:

[bash]# cd /etc/X11
[bash]# mkdir save
[bash]# cp * save
[bash]# xf86config

at the monitor section, enter the horiz and vert ranges (tell it
'i want to enter the ranges').

Assistance with Linux (Slackware) 2.4.18 please :)

Post by kkm » Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:22:39

I suspected the same thing, and therefore fixed the sync ranges.  It still
did the same thing even though it made the X-windows icons clearer. Any
other ideas?

I'm checkin out that driver site, btw.

THX for the reply !

musk

> > I currently have Slackware 8.1 (install CD) and Installed it.  Kernel
> > 2.4.18.  I installed the basic kernel at installation.

> > I have a SMC PCI 10/100 EZ Ethernet Card.

> > On boot, Slackware did not recognize my SMC card (or say anything about
> > /dev/eth*)

> > How can I get the system to recognize it ?

> although this is a red hat site doc, you can still
> search for the driver you will need to load:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/ref-guide/s1-...
-ethernet.html

Quote: