SOLUTION: slack 1.1.2 installation problem

SOLUTION: slack 1.1.2 installation problem

Post by Anton To » Mon, 07 Mar 1994 15:46:29

i just solved (kinda) a problem that some people seemed to have:
linux would freak out at installation floppies.

i dunno why (it's prbably a bug) but linux *HATES* floppies (or maybe
just msdos floppies?) it simply doesnt read data right. i tried the following
thing: while in setup on 1st console, i used 2nd console to copy the
"corrupted" files somewhere to linux partition from mouted floppy;
now then, if you manually umount it and then mount it back again and
compare (with cmp) what you have just copied with the disk original
(again, it'll b read from the same floppy), they'll be different (!!!!!!!)

so, conclusion is: you CANT rely on floppies! instead, use dos to
copy files from linux floppies to your dos HD partition (they have
to be in directoes with names corresponding to floppies; for instance,
it can be: C:\TEMPORAL\I_DUNNO\LINUX\A1 - of it only A1 has to be as it
is, e.g. LINUX.A1 will not do, it has to A1, no matter where; now, the entire
set(s) you are installing at the same time has to be on the same tree level,
wherever it is)

then, before running setup, mount your dos partition with the following
commands:

cd / ; mkdir dostmp               <- anything will do for "dostmp"; the thing
                                     is that you'll have to type it in, so
                                     keep it simple.
mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /dostmp  <- replace "/dev/hda1" with the partition
                                     where you copied your floppies;

that's all to it; if you want to browse, go for it; just cd into /dostmp and
have fun looking around your dos partition!

the last thing, when you enter setup (i use colrlite) choose "hasddrive
partition" as your source media; when it asks you where it's all located,
just say like:
/dostmp/temporal/i_dunno/linux          <- notice the case change; linux
                                           uses lowercase for dos things

P.S. if you run into any problems, let me know; i'll try to help you.

--

1. slack 4.0 installation problem...

I am having a really hard time installing Slackware 4.0 on a machine...
I have done it on a couple other machines successfully, but i dunno what
the deal with this one is...

It is a Intel Pentium 60.  I have two hard drives --  one 550Meg(primary
master - /dev/hda), and a 350Meg(primary slave - (/dev/hdb)...The 350
Meg contains the slackware 4.0 installation files(downloaded from
ftp.cdrom.com - have used these files for installation before).  The 550
Meg drive is the one i want to install to.

Now when I have the 16 MB of RAM in the machine and try and install(all
i do is type "setup") and I get some CPU errors or something like that..
Something about "the kernel couldnt handle paging requests" or
somethin.  When I take 8 MB of RAM out, and try to install again, I type
"setup" and it gives me a whole bunch of "Bus Error"s... Thats all it
says.

Is it something in  my motherboard?  I tried several things in there,
such as, disabling 32-Bit IDE Transfer Mode, disabling internal/external
cache memory, disabling IDE LBA Mode...
Can anyone think of anything?

TecMaster

2. Xstation 130 under AIX 4.1.4 doesn't show colors correctly

3. ethernet cards installation configuration problem slack 10.2

4. newbie: where is root's .bashrc to set aliases, ...

5. Redhat Linux AXP installation problem - any solutions ?

6. good email program

7. Redhat installation problems - error 2 (a solution)

8. man doesn't work

9. Slack 1.1.1 or Slack 1.1.0

10. Help: soundblaster 16, mitsumi cd, slack pro 2.0 installation

11. slack -- can't login after the installation, help needed!

12. Slack OR Redhat installation....

13. Installation of Redhat OR Slack...