Dual moniters and linux

Post by Greg Be » Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a way to have two moniters running off of one
linux box?????

Dual moniters and linux

Post by Ocean Surveys » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

My company has some nice 286 Toshiba laptop computers. Very rugged, good
LCD display. EGA type display, 2 serial ports, modem, bidirectional
parallel port, 8 meg ram. Real workhorse in their day.

Is there a version of linux that will run on these computers?

Dual moniters and linux

Post by Bart De Scheppe » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> My company has some nice 286 Toshiba laptop computers. Very rugged, good
> LCD display. EGA type display, 2 serial ports, modem, bidirectional
> parallel port, 8 meg ram. Real workhorse in their day.

> Is there a version of linux that will run on these computers?

Sorry, you need at least a 386 to be able to run linux.

--
Bart De Schepper

[the E-mail address is fake to protect against unwanted commercial mail]
Outdated web-page: http://iris.elis.rug.ac.be/~bds/

Dual moniters and linux

Post by Dr. W » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: My company has some nice 286 Toshiba laptop computers. Very rugged, good
: LCD display. EGA type display, 2 serial ports, modem, bidirectional
: parallel port, 8 meg ram. Real workhorse in their day.

: Is there a version of linux that will run on these computers?

No, Linux requires a minimum 386sx (it's a 32-bit OS).  You *could* run
Minix on a 286 though... but Minix isn't free.

--

             Unix Systems Administrator / BOFH wannabe...
               "Unix is my life..."  -- sad, isn't it?

Dual moniters and linux

Post by Graham Philip Cro » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Well, that depends on what you want the monitors to do.

If you just want to display text then try using a dumb terminal.

If you want graphics then there are video cards that support dual monitors (or
more). I am not sure how compatible they are with linux tho.

Post by Phil Humpher » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>Does anyone know of a way to have two moniters running off of one
>linux box?????

split the cable

--
Phil Humpherys

Dual moniters and linux

Post by Jason Kibblewhit » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know of a way to have two moniters running off of one
> linux box?????

I hope you mean using X-Window because I know that FVWM uses them by
default.  I've seen a HOWTO somewhere.  I do know you either have to
have a dual monitor type video card or two video cards.