Western Digital Caviar 1 gig & Busmouse problems :) (sorry)

Western Digital Caviar 1 gig & Busmouse problems :) (sorry)

Post by Lewis Bea » Sun, 11 Sep 1994 00:25:25

All,

I have read the busmouse howto, the installation howto, and etc.
I have also read some solutions to some of my problems, but I'm
at work and cant try anything for a while and also, I'd like to be
doubly sure about things before I proceed. So please forgive asking
things that are in HOWTOs. I read the howtos and I just dont know.

HARDDRIVE.

I have read a few posts about trickig linux 1.0.9 into
using all my hard drive space and such, and I've looked over
the "Everything I know about Linux and EIDE" post. However,
I'm still confused. I'm getting errors I didnt see other people
get, tho I havent tied the "trick" yet. I'm not sure I have the
same problem.

I booted from a linux 1.0.9 bootdisk. I fdisk -ed my /dev/hdb (my
/dev/hda is 1048 cyls, but is dos; should I fear touching it with
linux mounting since the linux cant (i think ) see past cyl 1024 ?).

It says the usual "Cyls set to 2100. Blah blah." I went ahead and
went in expert mode, set cyls to 2100, heads to 16 and sectors
to 63. I was hoping I could tell it what's what. I created in partition 1
a 100 meg partition for / , then in partition 2 I made a 350 meg
partition for /usr, then I made a 32 meg type 82 swap in partition
3 and then in partitoin 4 I made /home foe about 500-600 meg.

My question is, since this is fully linux, and I dont have dos on /dev/hdb,
do I need to do all the tricks like use dos setup to get some bogus
bios values, set these at the fdisk x mode, append the hd=x,y,z on the
boot in the lilo.conf, and put linear in the lilo.conf? That seems
to be the recommendation, but what happens if I dont (I didnt). Keep in
mind that I wont have DOS on this hard drive at all .... pure as the
driven snow.

Will I only be partially able to write to /home ?? Anyway, I fully
installed the slackware release, almost every disk except the T series.
It seems to work fine. BUT, I dont have anything at all in /home yet.
except 1 account. It sits empty. I was hoping that the important partitions,
sitting in the sacred 1024, would be stable enough to install all the
series disks, and all seems to be well. Will it be?

Do I need to do this bogus stuff? I saw a post of someone saying that
they never got LILO to work after they did that trick. Anyway currently,
I have LILO run from the master of c: I think, and it boots either
dos or linux just swell.

Should I use the "trick" to get the cyls above 1024?? Or do I even need
the bogus stuff at all? Can I just use the linear option?

Oh yeah, also the weird error I got (aside from 2100 cyls blah) is:
62 sectors not allocated; previous size 28xxxxxxxx does not agree with
27xxxxxxx or something. Should I fear that?

I wrote down the specifics, but failed to bring the pad to work.

If I mess around and try the trick, will I have to reinstall linux and
all the apps (I dont mind) ????

BUSMOUSE

Ok, I cant start X. I've run ConfigXF86, and set up the mach32
server and all, and it supports my card and my gateway crystal scan 17"
just fine. But I get 2 errors:

Cant open Mouse (no such device)

xinit: no such file, error 13

These arent exact messages. I wrote them down to post but forgot the pad at
home. Stupid, huh?

Ok, so I needed to compile in the right interrupt and address for my
mitsumi cd anyway, so I decided to rebuild my kernel with the options I did and
didnt want. So while I was at it, I booted dos, used some awful
utility called qaplus (which thinks I have 2 504 meg hard drives, when
really its 504 and 1000 meg, tho I never ran setup to tell it
different; my fault?). Anyway, it claims my mouse interrupt is 12. Is this
possible? 3, 4, and 5 are taken (com 2, com 1&3, and sound board,
respectively), and irq 2 is marked CASCADE. Irqs 7, 9, 10, and 11 and 15
are listed as available, but actually my cdrom is on one of those.
Finally, as I said, it claims my mouse is on 12.

I have a microsoft busmouse, and so I chose a device of /dev/mouse
and it is linked to /dev/bmousems.

I edited mouse.h and set MOUSE_IRQ to 12. However, in retrospect, I think I
meant to set the busmouse.h MOUSE_IRQ to 12. Maybe I did set the right
one .. my memory is cloudy, and the notes I painstakingly took are at home.
I'll go do it right this time (I hope) tonight.

So, is my mouse REALLY on 12? The busmouse howto mentions jumpers, and
interrupts 2, 3, 4, 5. I dont think I'll be able to use those; am I
screwed? Or is that cascade on 2 really my mouse? Will I then need to
set IRQ 9 (since that is for Irq 2 according to the howto) ??

Also, it says I need to not use bmousems and such; that
instead I should use something more akin to /dev/inportbm with
mknod and Major 10, Minor 2. Fine, but I just want to be sure
that's right. Could I just rm the /dev/mouse link, and mknod
/dev/mouse 10 2 ??

And what IRQ would you out there suggest? I may try the howto suggestion and
look on the card my busmouse hooks to and see the stated irq.

Sorry for halfway answering my own questions, but I'm slightly timid
about it, and I cant try it till 6pm tonight or so, and
I just want to make sure I understand.

Suggestions???

Flames to /home/lewis/.fvwmrc

Lewis
--

"Inner Worlds IS the Mahavishnu Orchestra's Love Beach." -    Lewis W. Beard
"Where's My Backstage Pass? Outrageous Costume!" -  various members of QUEEN

Western Digital Caviar 1 gig & Busmouse problems :) (sorry)

Post by Mike Batters » Thu, 15 Sep 1994 20:34:46

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd suggest you fix your news postig software too!

Quote:>BUSMOUSE
>Cant open Mouse (no such device)
>xinit: no such file, error 13

You don't have the /dev/xxxx device it needs, you'll need to mknod it. See
the busmouse howto.  You should mknod all the busmouse devices, even if
you aren't using them.

Quote:>different; my fault?). Anyway, it claims my mouse interrupt is 12. Is this

You have a PS/2 mouse (at least, I'm 90% sure).  Microsoft busmice generally
can't use IRQ 12.  Try the ps/2 mouse stuff from the howto.  Note that if
you do have such a mouse, you cannot change the IRQ anyway.

Quote:>I edited mouse.h and set MOUSE_IRQ to 12. However, in retrospect, I think I
>meant to set the busmouse.h MOUSE_IRQ to 12. Maybe I did set the right
>one .. my memory is cloudy, and the notes I painstakingly took are at home.
>I'll go do it right this time (I hope) tonight.

You don't need to set the IRQ for PS/2 mice. But if you do have a busmouse,
you need to change the one in busmouse.h (actually, just checking there
isn't an IRQ definition in mouse.h, so you must have gotten it right).

Quote:>So, is my mouse REALLY on 12? The busmouse howto mentions jumpers, and
>interrupts 2, 3, 4, 5. I dont think I'll be able to use those; am I

Read the howto again, but for ps/2 mice.

Quote:>screwed? Or is that cascade on 2 really my mouse? Will I then need to
>set IRQ 9 (since that is for Irq 2 according to the howto) ??

No, it will always say cascade on 2.  IRQ2 doesn't really exist, it goes
straight through to IRQ9.

Quote:>Also, it says I need to not use bmousems and such; that
>instead I should use something more akin to /dev/inportbm with
>mknod and Major 10, Minor 2. Fine, but I just want to be sure
>that's right.

Yep, that's right.  Change to /dev and delete all the busmouse devices
the howto says have been superceded (just usr "rm <device>").  Then make
the new ones from the table with the mknod command.  Try "man mknod" if
you want more info.

Quote:>Could I just rm the /dev/mouse link, and mknod
>/dev/mouse 10 2 ??

Not advisable.  For the sake of compatibility with other systems, as well
as less confusion if you ever change mice, make the devices separate and
use the link.

Quote:>And what IRQ would you out there suggest? I may try the howto suggestion and
>look on the card my busmouse hooks to and see the stated irq.

I've always found 2 (which is actually 9) to be a convenient one to use.
It's really of no consequence however, as long as it doesn't conflict.

cheers

 - Mike

--

          CompSci honours student, Linux user and part time beggar.
  "You know you're really somebody in the software world when Richard

1. GSI 18 & 1.082 Gig Western Digital drive problem!

Please help :-)!!!!
I have a GSI 18 and 1.082 gig drive.  I have an ami bios, 486 DX2 50
and i'm running kernal 1.2.3.  I cannot get linux to recognize the drive.
Whether it has a dos partition onm it or not, linux refuses to recognize
the drive.  Linux does recognize the drive on bootup and the GSI model
is said to support unix systems in the manual, any ideas??? Please

Ohhh, the drive is a western digital caviar drive. Hmmm..in reading this
i guess i should clarify my self...fdisk gives me the error:

the-wall:~# fdisk /dev/hdc

Unable to open /dev/hdc

And this is the device I am told to use by the kernal at bootup. Ahhh, yeah,
that's better :-).

2. Portable system CPU usage code?

3. 30 Gig or 40 Gig hd. Quantum, Maxtor or Western Digital?

4. Recovering deleted files

5. Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

6. HELP in reading kernel memory

7. Via VT8233C + Western Digital Caviar = corruption hell?

8. linux without xwindows?

9. Western Digital Caviar HD and 2048 Cylinders in Linux

10. Western Digital Caviar HD and 2484 Cylinders in Linux

11. Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

12. Western Digital 80GB Caviar Hard Drive with 8MB Cache v.s Linux

13. western digital caviar and linux