SuSE 7: 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

Post by Halam Ro » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 18:00:59

Greetings

I've installed Suse 7 on my PC twice, to boot from floppy and from
hard disk.  In both cases the install seems to go well and I can play
about with the installed system.

The next time I boot however, whether from floopy or hard drive, the
screen fills with 01 01 01 01 scrolling up the screen forever.

I didn't have this problem with Redhat 7.

Can anyone advise?

Many Thanks

Halam

SuSE 7: 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

Post by David a » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:56:22

hey

I have had the same problem occur to me a while back, so i am a little hazy
on what I did to fix it. From what I remember the problem is with the
bootloader LILO. It is failing to start up. When LILO boots up it displays
the letters "L" then "I" then "L" then "O" - spelling LILO to signify that
it has reached a certain spot in its initiation. You are getting "01"'s
playing accross the screen - you might want to check again what you are
seeing as it might well be something in relation to this bootup sequence -
ie "LILO" and then "LO" repleating accross the screen - I'm not really very
sure how it all works - someone else can help and fill in here!!! - but
check some of this up on the net

In the end, it is a problem with the way LILO is installed on your MBR - you
might want to try a different boot loader, like GRUB which comes with
redhat 7.2/7.3 .. and maybe other distros but i dont really know. LILO
might not like something about your hardware setup or something, again let
other people fill in here for my lack of experience - but I have never been
a fan of LILO, so i would suggest you try a different loader!

well, hope this helps

cya

david

> Greetings

> I've installed Suse 7 on my PC twice, to boot from floppy and from
> hard disk.  In both cases the install seems to go well and I can play
> about with the installed system.

> The next time I boot however, whether from floopy or hard drive, the
> screen fills with 01 01 01 01 scrolling up the screen forever.

> I didn't have this problem with Redhat 7.

> Can anyone advise?

> Many Thanks

> Halam

SuSE 7: 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

Post by mjt » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 04:40:31

SuSE 7: 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

Post by mc Dooliga » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:10:29

> Greetings

> I've installed Suse 7 on my PC twice, to boot from floppy and from
> hard disk.  In both cases the install seems to go well and I can play
> about with the installed system.

> The next time I boot however, whether from floopy or hard drive, the
> screen fills with 01 01 01 01 scrolling up the screen forever.

> I didn't have this problem with Redhat 7.

> Can anyone advise?

> Many Thanks

> Halam

Happened to me just the other day.  I have XP on hda (sfs, dynamic
volume, with some oddball partition scheme) and Mandrake82 on hdd.
I fixed it by putting the line
disk=/dev/hdd bios=0x81
in /etc/lilo.conf and re-running lilo.
If you have XP on hda like me, you won't be able to boot into it
after that, without running lilo -U.