Help, i've read the FAQs!

Post by bill.sparh.. » Thu, 12 Jan 1995 12:57:55

I would apprecitate it if someone would help me with this problem. I have read
the FAQ's and also EIDE.TXT & README.IDE.  I have also read all the Q&A's
on this list that are applicable.

I installed a WD 540 Meg EIDE drive and an intelligent GSI model 18 secondary
IDE controller board.

Prior to the installation of the controller board (I installed the drive first) Linux
(Slackware 1.1.59) was working properly. I then deleted the partition that Linux
was on and installed the GSI board, hoping to re-partition the drives.  Oh, Oh
bad move.

Linux Fdisk will now not recognize hda or hdb. I tried entering the geometry of
the drives manually by entering the # of cycs, heads and sectors. The informa-
tion is accepted but then I get the following error at the partition check:

hd: controller still busy
hda : reset time out error = 0xff (blah, blah, blah)

The documentation that comes with the GSI board states:  "For UNIX -- that is
for your particular version of UNIX -- you may need to invoke a UNIX-supplied
device driver if you want to use the Model 18 as a Secondary-Address IDE
host adapter."

Any ideas?
Any suggestion?

thanks,

Bill Sparhawk, Spokane, WA

1. I've read/am reading the faq's - but what is a Segmentation fault?

I am reading the faq's as fast as I can, but I would really appreciate a
pointer to information about Segmentation faults.  Every time I try to run
Pico (among others) the system responds with "Segmentation fault".  What
does it mean?  How can i fix it?  Is it in a FAQ?  Which one?

THANKS!!!
Dana
----------

----------
 \ The above does not represent OIT, UNC-CH, laUNChpad, or its other users. /

2. Could this have been done in one line?

3. i've read all faqs/docs-still need help with PPP!

4. ansi X term for linux

5. BackSpace, Delete, Vim (I've read all the FAQ's)

6. Mouse and Xwindiws

7. I've just been reading the unix FAQ ...

8. HP NetServer E45 + SCSI Adaptec 2910BUI/AIC7860

9. Now that I've read the FAQ...

10. I've read FAQ, still only get LI on boot

11. gcc sig11 problem (I've read the FAQ)

12. Help with ppp....I've read all the How-to's .....

13. We need a FAQ: Help I've been hacked