GUS + BusLogic BT-445S + STB Pegasus + DX2/66 + 256 kB cache = trouble

GUS + BusLogic BT-445S + STB Pegasus + DX2/66 + 256 kB cache = trouble

Post by Pim Zandberg » Thu, 23 Jun 1994 21:18:51

I previously wrote

Quote:>Anyone using a GUS with a BusLogic BT-445S VESA SCSI host adapter?
>I replaced my Adaptec 1542B with a BT-445S and found out
>my system would not boot anymore unless I either
>remove the GUS or disable external cache ram.
>DOS crashes while executing AUTOEXEC.BAT with a message like
>"invalid COMMAND.COM , system halted". Linux crashes while
>uncompressing the kernel (hence still using the BIOS)
>with a CRC error.

The situation is even weirder. I can solve the problem by any *one*
of the following:

        - disable external cache
        - use 128 kB cache instead of 256 kB
        - replace the DX2/66 with a DX/33
        - remove the GUS (gravis ultrasound)
        - replace the VL-bus BT-445S with an ISA-bus AHA-1542B
        - replace the VL-bus STB Pegasus with an ISA-bus S3-801 vga card

Things that would not help:

        - replacing cache SRAM
        - replacing DRAM SIMMS
        - replacing 20 ns TAG SRAM with a 15 ns chip
        - changing any AMI BIOS setup option other than disabling ext. cache
        - adding VL-bus waitstates
        - slot positions (though 1 VL slot does not support busmastering)

I am now waiting for a newer revision of my Buslogic card, but
I'm beginning to think the problem is in the motherboard;
things are just getting too fast, I guess.

There is also another problem that happens *only* when
using 128 kB cache: the infamous signal 11 internal gcc error
when building a Linux kernel.

Before this all happened, I had another cache problem:
Linux would crash randomly, mainly in the swapper task,
unless I had disabled the external cache.
This was solved by building a kernel with -m386 instead of -m486.
This worked, but I could never find out the theory behind this.

This is already my second motherboard; the first one would
appear totally dead with the STB Pegasus on it.

For the record, here's my hardware setup:

        motherboard: DX2/66, SiS 461 VL chipset, 3 VL slots, AMI BIOS
        16 MB 70 ns DRAM
        256 kB 20 ns SRAM, 32 kB 15 ns TAG RAM
        BusLogic BT-445S VL SCSI host adapter rev D, BIOS 4.72, f/w 3.36
        STB Pegasus VL S3-928 vga card (S3-928 is D-stepping)
        Gravis Ultrasound (don't have the revision number)
        no-name ISA-bus 2x16550 1xparallel I/O card
--

S-mail : Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70, 2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands
Phone  : +31 70 3542302

GUS + BusLogic BT-445S + STB Pegasus + DX2/66 + 256 kB cache = trouble

Post by Mike Batchel » Sun, 26 Jun 1994 23:36:07

Quote:>I previously wrote
>>Anyone using a GUS with a BusLogic BT-445S VESA SCSI host adapter?
>>I replaced my Adaptec 1542B with a BT-445S and found out
>>my system would not boot anymore unless I either
>>remove the GUS or disable external cache ram.
>>DOS crashes while executing AUTOEXEC.BAT with a message like
>>"invalid COMMAND.COM , system halted". Linux crashes while
>>uncompressing the kernel (hence still using the BIOS)
>>with a CRC error.
>The situation is even weirder. I can solve the problem by any *one*
>of the following:
>    - disable external cache
>    - use 128 kB cache instead of 256 kB
>    - replace the DX2/66 with a DX/33
>    - remove the GUS (gravis ultrasound)
>    - replace the VL-bus BT-445S with an ISA-bus AHA-1542B
>    - replace the VL-bus STB Pegasus with an ISA-bus S3-801 vga card

Welcome to the world of PC-clones.  My motherboard supposedly can handle
any one of 386DX, 486DX, 486DX2, 486SLC, and so on.  But put in a
486DX-50, 486DX2-66 or 486DX2-50, and shortly after boot, it will lock up
with no warning.  Faster RAM, more wait states on RAM and cache, removing
all cards but IDE and VGA, toggling all BIOS settings to most conservative
values - nothing helped.  It just doesn't work with faster CPUs than
486DX-33, despite the manual's claims otherwise.

Quote:>Things that would not help:

Not surprised at this list.  I tried most of these myself.  My board has
the OPTi 495SX VLB chipset.  I think you're out of luck, and will have to
choose one of the configurations that works.  I'd choose the 128K cache
config if that makes everything else happy.

--
Mike Batchelor      | UseLinuxUseLinuxUseLinuxUseLinuxUseLinuxUseLinuxUseLinux

It is said that Dreams are real while they last.
Can we say more of Life?

GUS + BusLogic BT-445S + STB Pegasus + DX2/66 + 256 kB cache = trouble

Post by Pasi Hur » Mon, 27 Jun 1994 22:14:33

Quote:>The situation is even weirder. I can solve the problem by any *one*
>of the following:

>    - disable external cache
>    - use 128 kB cache instead of 256 kB
>    - replace the DX2/66 with a DX/33
>    - remove the GUS (gravis ultrasound)
>    - replace the VL-bus BT-445S with an ISA-bus AHA-1542B
>    - replace the VL-bus STB Pegasus with an ISA-bus S3-801 vga card

>Things that would not help:

>    - replacing cache SRAM
>    - replacing DRAM SIMMS
>    - replacing 20 ns TAG SRAM with a 15 ns chip
>    - changing any AMI BIOS setup option other than disabling ext. cache
>    - adding VL-bus waitstates
>    - slot positions (though 1 VL slot does not support busmastering)

>I am now waiting for a newer revision of my Buslogic card, but
>I'm beginning to think the problem is in the motherboard;
>things are just getting too fast, I guess.

>There is also another problem that happens *only* when
>using 128 kB cache: the infamous signal 11 internal gcc error
>when building a Linux kernel.

>Before this all happened, I had another cache problem:
>Linux would crash randomly, mainly in the swapper task,
>unless I had disabled the external cache.
>This was solved by building a kernel with -m386 instead of -m486.
>This worked, but I could never find out the theory behind this.

>This is already my second motherboard; the first one would
>appear totally dead with the STB Pegasus on it.

>For the record, here's my hardware setup:

>    motherboard: DX2/66, SiS 461 VL chipset, 3 VL slots, AMI BIOS
>    16 MB 70 ns DRAM
>    256 kB 20 ns SRAM, 32 kB 15 ns TAG RAM
>    BusLogic BT-445S VL SCSI host adapter rev D, BIOS 4.72, f/w 3.36
>    STB Pegasus VL S3-928 vga card (S3-928 is D-stepping)
>    Gravis Ultrasound (don't have the revision number)
>    no-name ISA-bus 2x16550 1xparallel I/O card

I have a quite similar problem, though I havent tried smaller external cache.

My system consists of a IMS9000 EISA motherboard and:
- 16Mb 70ns Micronics memory (4x4M)
- Adaptec 2742T EISA SCSI controller
- 1 G Fujitsu HD
- 2S + 1P Boca 16552C card
- GUS
- Cirrus VLB, 2Mb
- 3Com 3C579 Etherlink III EISA
- Microsoft InPort mouse card

Using OS/2, my system claims about memory access violations and locks up randomly,
IF I have external cache enabled. Replacing AHA2742T w/ 1542B, everything works OK.
Might be a motherboard power consumption problem?

One intresting thing is, that it might happen that my system works OK w/ external cache
for two days, and when I shut it down and start again, the problem is there again.
I have run several memory tests and they find no errors. Changing BIOS or AmiECU
parameters do not help.

--
Twi / Pasi Markus Hurri
Datacommunications Developer, A. Ahlstrom Corporation, Finland

      C=fi A=mailnet P=ahlstrom S=hurri G=pasi  / Almost Married and Love It /

GUS + BusLogic BT-445S + STB Pegasus + DX2/66 + 256 kB cache = trouble

Post by Mark A. Horton KA4Y » Wed, 29 Jun 1994 16:59:34

Joining in the fray....

: >The situation is even weirder. I can solve the problem by any *one*
: >of the following:
: >
: >  - disable external cache
: >  - use 128 kB cache instead of 256 kB
: >  - replace the DX2/66 with a DX/33
: >  - remove the GUS (gravis ultrasound)
: >  - replace the VL-bus BT-445S with an ISA-bus AHA-1542B
: >  - replace the VL-bus STB Pegasus with an ISA-bus S3-801 vga card
: >
: >Things that would not help:
: >
: >  - replacing cache SRAM
: >  - replacing DRAM SIMMS
: >  - replacing 20 ns TAG SRAM with a 15 ns chip
: >  - changing any AMI BIOS setup option other than disabling ext. cache
: >  - adding VL-bus waitstates
: >  - slot positions (though 1 VL slot does not support busmastering)
: >
: >I am now waiting for a newer revision of my Buslogic card, but
: >I'm beginning to think the problem is in the motherboard;

        It is.  I had the same problems.  The BIOS cache memory check
        routines from AMI were worthless... Linux proved a far better
        diagnostic device! :(  or :)  depending on point of view!
        I don't have a noisemaker board... I suspect the problem does not
        revolve around it.

: >things are just getting too fast, I guess.

        You could try changing the CMOS write/read cycle timings to adjust
        for memory/cache speed... didn't help me, but you might get lucky.
        I am running 4 4x9 9chip 60ns SIMMS and 4 1x9 9chip 60ns SIMMS so
        I figured it couldn't be RAM speed problems!  I would have been
        really irritated if the solution had called for slowing down the
        RAM that I'd paid extra for!

        Mine failed with BOTH the Adaptec 1542B and the BusLogic 445S also.
        The only way it would work was to disable both internal and external
        cache, thus reducing my Intel DX2-66 to roughly 386 performance!  Not
        a happy camper at this stage!

        Two replacement motherboards/cache chipsets later, all is working
        perfectly...  Take the board back while you can!   Don't take "It
        works in DOS." for an answer.... the DOS memory diagnostics do not
        exercise the memory the way a true 32-bit OS does.

: >
: >There is also another problem that happens *only* when
: >using 128 kB cache: the infamous signal 11 internal gcc error
: >when building a Linux kernel.
: >
: >Before this all happened, I had another cache problem:
: >Linux would crash randomly, mainly in the swapper task,
: >unless I had disabled the external cache.
: >This was solved by building a kernel with -m386 instead of -m486.
: >This worked, but I could never find out the theory behind this.
: >
: >This is already my second motherboard; the first one would
: >appear totally dead with the STB Pegasus on it.

        Keep trying... when they send out bad boards, they tend to come
        in flocks.  :(

: >
[...]

        The CMOS memory diagnostic routines are apparently worthless for detecting
        cache memory errors.  I only saw ONE detected in exhaustive testing whereas
        Linux would catch them immediately upon boot or shortly thereafter.  My
        recommendation is to replace the motherboard and cache... keep going back
        until you get one that works.  And don't buy them testing it with DOS
        to determine that "it's not a problem."  The DOS routines NEVER found any
        problems with the two bad boards I had!

-- Mark

--
"Linux!     Guerrilla UNIX Development     Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus."

+1.404.371.0291                     33 45 31 N / 084 16 59 W

Post by Sten Law{ » Fri, 08 Jul 1994 00:20:09

>I previously wrote

[deleted]

>The situation is even weirder. I can solve the problem by any *one*
>of the following:
>    - disable external cache
>    - use 128 kB cache instead of 256 kB
>    - replace the DX2/66 with a DX/33
>    - remove the GUS (gravis ultrasound)
>    - replace the VL-bus BT-445S with an ISA-bus AHA-1542B
>    - replace the VL-bus STB Pegasus with an ISA-bus S3-801 vga card
>Things that would not help:
>    - replacing cache SRAM
>    - replacing DRAM SIMMS
>    - replacing 20 ns TAG SRAM with a 15 ns chip
>    - changing any AMI BIOS setup option other than disabling ext. cache
>    - adding VL-bus waitstates
>    - slot positions (though 1 VL slot does not support busmastering)
>I am now waiting for a newer revision of my Buslogic card, but
>I'm beginning to think the problem is in the motherboard;
>things are just getting too fast, I guess.
>This is already my second motherboard; the first one would
>appear totally dead with the STB Pegasus on it.
>For the record, here's my hardware setup:
>    motherboard: DX2/66, SiS 461 VL chipset, 3 VL slots, AMI BIOS
>    16 MB 70 ns DRAM
>    256 kB 20 ns SRAM, 32 kB 15 ns TAG RAM
>    BusLogic BT-445S VL SCSI host adapter rev D, BIOS 4.72, f/w 3.36
>    STB Pegasus VL S3-928 vga card (S3-928 is D-stepping)
>    Gravis Ultrasound (don't have the revision number)
>    no-name ISA-bus 2x16550 1xparallel I/O card
>--

>S-mail : Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70, 2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands
>Phone  : +31 70 3542302
>Fax    : +31 70 3512837

Hi Pim,

Sounds like the motherboard alright. Do try and get a replacement. It is
a problem withe chipset timing handling, ie. a hardware problem. But before
you run down to the computer store, one thing that you can test:

The following is my setup:

  50Mhz 486DX 256Kb 20ns Cache
  SIS chipset
  BusLogic 445S VLB
  20 MB 60 ns SIMMs
  ATI GUP on ISA
  SoundBlaster 2.0
  NE-2000 Clone
  Noname ser/par card

This setup excersises the chipset even more, as it runs everything at
50MHz instead of the 33MHz that the 66DX2 configuration uses. Strangely,
everything is a breeze. I did orignially have a problem with memory, just
like the one you described. I changed everything (and I do mean everything)
in the machine, until I finally had the weird notion of replacing the
power supply. That did it, and now everything works fine. I suggest you
might try that, as many of the Made in China PSUs just can't handle all
the juice reuired by a fully loaded system.

Sten
----------------
Sten Lawaetz

Post by Pim Zandberg » Sat, 09 Jul 1994 23:25:22

>>Anyone using a GUS with a BusLogic BT-445S VESA SCSI host adapter?
>>I replaced my Adaptec 1542B with a BT-445S and found out
>>my system would not boot anymore unless I either
>>remove the GUS or disable external cache ram.
>>DOS crashes while executing AUTOEXEC.BAT with a message like
>>"invalid COMMAND.COM , system halted". Linux crashes while
>>uncompressing the kernel (hence still using the BIOS)
>>with a CRC error.
>The situation is even weirder. I can solve the problem by any *one*
>of the following:
>    - disable external cache
>    - use 128 kB cache instead of 256 kB
>    - replace the DX2/66 with a DX/33
>    - remove the GUS (gravis ultrasound)
>    - replace the VL-bus BT-445S with an ISA-bus AHA-1542B
>    - replace the VL-bus STB Pegasus with an ISA-bus S3-801 vga card

[ ... ]

Quote:>For the record, here's my hardware setup:
>    motherboard: DX2/66, SiS 461 VL chipset, 3 VL slots, AMI BIOS
>    16 MB 70 ns DRAM
>    256 kB 20 ns SRAM, 32 kB 15 ns TAG RAM
>    BusLogic BT-445S VL SCSI host adapter rev D, BIOS 4.72, f/w 3.36
>    STB Pegasus VL S3-928 vga card (S3-928 is D-stepping)
>    Gravis Ultrasound (don't have the revision number)
>    no-name ISA-bus 2x16550 1xparallel I/O card

I've traded in the motherboard for one with an ALI chipset,
and all is well now.
--

S-mail : Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70, 2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands
Phone  : +31 70 3542302
Fax    : +31 70 3512837

1. GUS / BusLogic BT-445S incompatibility ?

Anyone using a GUS with a BusLogic BT-445S VESA SCSI host adapter?

I replaced my Adaptec 1542B with a BT-445S and found out
my system would not boot anymore unless I either
remove the GUS or disable external cache ram.

DOS crashes while executing AUTOEXEC.BAT with a message like
"invalid COMMAND.COM , system halted". Linux crashes while
uncompressing the kernel (hence still using the BIOS)
with a CRC error.

There is no apparent resource conflict, the BT-445S
uses I/O port 330 and IRQ 11 and no traditional DMA.
The GUS uses I/O port 220 and would be set for
IRQ 5 and DMA 1 if the booting stage had gotten that far.
Changing IRQ's and I/O ports anyway did not help.

Maybe my cache ram is flaky ? Before, I had this problem
that Linux would crash randomly, unless I disable external
cache ram. This was solved by someone suggesting to compile
the Linux kernel with -m386 instead of -m486. I never heard
of the theory behind this.

My system is a 486 DX/2 66, SiS 461 based. It has 16 MB
70 ns DRAM and 256 kB 20 ns SRAM with 32k 20ns tag SRAM.

The BT-445S is not really up to date, it is a rev. D board
with firmware rev. 3.36 and BIOS rev. 4.72, so I am going
to have it replaced with a newer model. But I am not sure
whether this is going to solve this particular problem.
--

S-mail : Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70, 2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands
Phone  : +31 70 3542302
Fax    : +31 70 3512837

2. peer 2 peer network programming

3. BusLogic BT-445S timeout errors

4. Syjet on solaris

5. Buslogic BT-445S hangs!

6. Disappearing menus with X ?

7. BusLogic BT-445S

8. Ringraziamenti

9. Toshiba XM-3101 CDROM drive and Buslogic BT-445S Host adapter

10. I just made my DX2/66 a DX2/75!?!?!

11. Q: System w/ limited 256 kB cache, 16MB->32MB = slower linux.

12. BT-445S SCSI Adapter

13. BT-445S + Toshiba 1xCDROM=Terror?