WinLinux Startup - Garbage Screen

Post by haaser » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 00:59:36

Hi,

I am trying to install WinLinux 2000 on my wife's
"Windows-Only" PC.  The objective is to allow her to run
GIMP.

The PC has a "supported" ATI All-In-Wonder Pro graphics
card.  The installation ran fine, and the WinLinux
Configuration Utility correctly lists the card.  The Display
setting shows it as 1024*768 at 60 Hz, 16 bits per pixel,
which also appears OK.

When I try to boot WinLinux, I get a garbage screen within a
few seconds, perhaps as much as a minute before the KDE
startup.  The logs in /linux/var/log are all empty.

I have tried forcing the display to VGA with only a 640 *
480 resolution, 4 bit color, didn't help.  I have also
downloaded and installed the x 3.3.6 update, same problem.

The screen is displaying garbage and the system halts many
seconds before I think it is time to go into graphics mode.
I think I should have several more pages of text mode start
up messages, but the screen changes so fast I am unable to
read the last few messages.

Any Ideas?

TIA,

Roger Haase

WinLinux Startup - Garbage Screen

Post by Dway » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 09:50:42

Hello,

I'm a Linux newbie, so I can't be of much help, but
here is what I know.

First, there is a Windows port of GIMP available
here:

http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32

Second, concerning WinLinux 2000, I successfully
installed the WinLinux beta awhile back on a
computer with an ATI graphics card which I believe
uses the same driver.  It worked fine, but I don't quite
remember how the install went.

You may want to raise the color depth to 24 or 32
bits per pixel(?)  It seems like I may have had to
make some kind of change like that.

Unfortunately I don't have enough room on
my hard drive right now to try to re-install it.

HTH,

Dwayne

>Hi,

>I am trying to install WinLinux 2000 on my wife's
>"Windows-Only" PC.  The objective is to allow her to run
>GIMP.

>The PC has a "supported" ATI All-In-Wonder Pro graphics
>card.  The installation ran fine, and the WinLinux
>Configuration Utility correctly lists the card.  The Display
>setting shows it as 1024*768 at 60 Hz, 16 bits per pixel,
>which also appears OK.

>When I try to boot WinLinux, I get a garbage screen within a
>few seconds, perhaps as much as a minute before the KDE
>startup.  The logs in /linux/var/log are all empty.

>I have tried forcing the display to VGA with only a 640 *
>480 resolution, 4 bit color, didn't help.  I have also
>downloaded and installed the x 3.3.6 update, same problem.

>The screen is displaying garbage and the system halts many
>seconds before I think it is time to go into graphics mode.
>I think I should have several more pages of text mode start
>up messages, but the screen changes so fast I am unable to
>read the last few messages.

>Any Ideas?

>TIA,

>Roger Haase

1. X freezes just before startup (garbage scrolling on screen)

Sometimes (maybe one out of four times) when I start X with startx the
computer locks up and some garbage starts to roll upwards on the
screen (like som old grafix demo on the Amiga). It looks like the same
memory block rolls up up up all the time (lightblue/purple background
and small different colored strips). I haven't been able to figure out
if I do anthing special those times it locks up. Is this a problem
with my graphic card, Xfree86 or something else?

 I'm running Mandrake 8.0 and have a Matrox Productiva G100 with 4Megs
of memory which seems to work fine otherwise. I've never had it hang
after X has started up.

/Barman

2. BSD Database editor

3. Intel 845GL screen garbage instead of DM screen

4. Solaris 8 man command missing

5. Help, [garbage] Crashed and I [garbage] Boot Up

6. Arrgh! How do I connect to my ISP?

7. Help:Garbage screen after exit from X

8. Anonymous ftp site creation?

9. dialup USR modem problem: garbage on screen?

10. Diamond Viper V330: screen garbage

11. X leaving garbage on screen

12. Garbage at bottom of screen

13. Dial-in garbage on screen