Solution to cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.S and so on

Solution to cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.S and so on

Post by David Ry » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 07:22:36

G'day all. A few days ago I posted an article saying that the system
could not execute /etc/rc.d/rc.S on Slackware 2.1.0. The solution was to
create a link from bash to sh which appeared to be missing, i.e.
ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh. Now all works fine!! Yay!!

Cheers.

1. Boot problem: " cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S" "

I got this problem in the boot process. When I boot my system, just after:

VFS mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly

This comes up:

Apr 9 15:23:47 init[1]: version 2.4 booting
init[2]: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init[2]: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init[1]: Entering runlevel: 5
init[3]: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.M"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init[3]: cannot execute "/eyc/rc.d/rc.M"

welcome to linux 0.99.15.

The Linux version is 1.1.59.

The error happens on both a 386/16 with 5 MBRAM/42MBHD and on a 386/40 8 MBRAM
and 520 MB DOS shared HD. There are just a videocard (EGA or VGA tryed) and
a HD/FD controller in the maschine, sometimes there are also a NE2000 card,
but it dosent seam to change anything if i take it out. I even tryed several
times to reinstal the system even with software from different sites.

All the files in /etc/rc.d, and all the directorys above, has all rights set
for root, and execute rights for everyone else. I changed this so that, the
root (/), /etc, all files in /etc, the directory /etc/rc.d and finally all
files in /etc/rc.d has all rights set, nothing changes.

When I log in as root for the first time after boot, I have to

mount -n -o remount /
mount /proc /proc -t proc

Then the systems works until the next time it is booted.

When I am on the system (as root) I can not execute any file in the /etc/rc.d
directory. If I copy one ore more file from the /etc/rc.d directory, i still
cannot execute it. Everytime i write:

rc.S

in the /etc/rc.d directory, and everywhere else, I get this error:

bash: ./rc.S: No such file or directory

even though I can edit the file with vi and cat it with

cat rc.S

I have looked in all the FAQ I can find, and all the documentation available.
Am I just stuppid, or am I the first in the world to encounter this problem.

Any hint and suggestion is higly apriciatet

2. Is it just me or ibcs2 is broken?

3. Cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc" error!

4. sysinfo for Solaris 2.5.1

5. init: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S"

6. kde*2.1.1.src.rpm recompiled on RH7.1 - long

7. difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit ?

8. MUSBUS ftp site

9. which user does /etc/rc.d/rc.local / rc.sysinit run as?

10. Cannot Execute rc.S and rc.M scripts

11. linux refuses to execute rc.M and other /etc/rc.d scripts

12. /etc/rc: sendmail parms don't match /etc/rc.conf

13. /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: No such file or directory