1. Boot problem: " cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S" "
I got this problem in the boot process. When I boot my system, just after:
VFS mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
This comes up:
Apr 9 15:23:47 init: version 2.4 booting
init: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init: Entering runlevel: 5
init: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.M"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init: cannot execute "/eyc/rc.d/rc.M"
welcome to linux 0.99.15.
The Linux version is 1.1.59.
The error happens on both a 386/16 with 5 MBRAM/42MBHD and on a 386/40 8 MBRAM
and 520 MB DOS shared HD. There are just a videocard (EGA or VGA tryed) and
a HD/FD controller in the maschine, sometimes there are also a NE2000 card,
but it dosent seam to change anything if i take it out. I even tryed several
times to reinstal the system even with software from different sites.
All the files in /etc/rc.d, and all the directorys above, has all rights set
for root, and execute rights for everyone else. I changed this so that, the
root (/), /etc, all files in /etc, the directory /etc/rc.d and finally all
files in /etc/rc.d has all rights set, nothing changes.
When I log in as root for the first time after boot, I have to
mount -n -o remount /
mount /proc /proc -t proc
Then the systems works until the next time it is booted.
When I am on the system (as root) I can not execute any file in the /etc/rc.d
directory. If I copy one ore more file from the /etc/rc.d directory, i still
cannot execute it. Everytime i write:
in the /etc/rc.d directory, and everywhere else, I get this error:
bash: ./rc.S: No such file or directory
even though I can edit the file with vi and cat it with
I have looked in all the FAQ I can find, and all the documentation available.
Am I just stuppid, or am I the first in the world to encounter this problem.
Any hint and suggestion is higly apriciatet
2. Is it just me or ibcs2 is broken?
3. Cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc" error!
4. sysinfo for Solaris 2.5.1
5. init: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S"
6. kde*2.1.1.src.rpm recompiled on RH7.1 - long
7. difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit ?
8. MUSBUS ftp site
9. which user does /etc/rc.d/rc.local / rc.sysinit run as?
10. Cannot Execute rc.S and rc.M scripts
11. linux refuses to execute rc.M and other /etc/rc.d scripts
12. /etc/rc: sendmail parms don't match /etc/rc.conf
13. /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: No such file or directory