Ekk sp error in passwd, im in trouble

Post by M. Conn » Thu, 06 Oct 1994 09:38:39

Ok, so i mispelled tcsh, ya ya , well anyway now i can't get back in to
root. So i tried everything then tried the boot disk. WELL ...

The boot disk goes right to LILO and boots the harddisk as usual.
How the heck can I get back into root to fix the passd file?

Has anyone ever used the boot disk Slack 2.0?  I have 1.1.19 running with
the usual window blank out stuff, but other then that I have not had
any problems as of yet.  PLease if anyone can tell me how the heck to
get back in I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

--
   Michael Conner                                        .(oo).
   Computing And Information Science            .------oOO-\/-OOo------.

Post by Jason Park » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 12:01:56

:|Ok, so i mispelled tcsh, ya ya , well anyway now i can't get back in to
:|root. So i tried everything then tried the boot disk. WELL ...

:|The boot disk goes right to LILO and boots the harddisk as usual.
:|How the heck can I get back into root to fix the passd file?

:|Has anyone ever used the boot disk Slack 2.0?  I have 1.1.19 running with
:|the usual window blank out stuff, but other then that I have not had
:|any problems as of yet.  PLease if anyone can tell me how the heck to
:|get back in I would be greatly appreciative.

:|Thanks in advance,
:|Mike

I had the exact same problem just a few days ago - it only took me about
4 hours to lock myself out of root this way - and I found that the only
thing that worked was to reinstall linux - sorry i cant be of more help,
but I think that its the only thing to do.

(tho, if you're only going to be using the machine yourself, you may
consider making an "emergency" account, with root privileges, and no
password.  Could come in handy, but REALLY dumb if your box is going to
be hooked up over a slip connection.)

also BTW, I heard a rumor that Linux assumes that root's shell is bash
(or another shell from the bourne family).  Can anyone shed some light on
this?

Cheers,
jason

--
---
"A conversation is a competition in which the first person to draw breath

Post by Alan C » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 21:05:46

>:|Ok, so i mispelled tcsh, ya ya , well anyway now i can't get back in to
>:|root. So i tried everything then tried the boot disk. WELL ...
>:|The boot disk goes right to LILO and boots the harddisk as usual.
>:|How the heck can I get back into root to fix the passd file?

>I had the exact same problem just a few days ago - it only took me about
>4 hours to lock myself out of root this way - and I found that the only
>thing that worked was to reinstall linux - sorry i cant be of more help,
>but I think that its the only thing to do.

Stick in the install floppys and boot off that. Don't do any setup instead do

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt            (or wherever you hide your root partition)

and edit /mnt/etc/passwd

You may want to just do

mv /mnt/etc/passwd /mnt/etc/passwd.whoops
cp /etc/passwd /mnt/etc/passwd

Alan
--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

1. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

I use the Wingz spreadsheet under a SunOs 4.1.3 at work, and am trying
to set up a similar environment on my Linux system.  To do this I need
to compile Wingz external add-ins.

(Nice spreadsheet by the way. See the homepage at:
 http://www.wingz.com/Welcome.html)

The problem is that I am unable to link after compiling.  The add-in
code has no 'main', as it is in a file $WINGZ/lib/libwztools.a.  On
SunOs, doing a:

gcc -O -I$(WINGZ)/include -c TestFunc.c -o TestFunc.o
gcc -O -I$(WINGZ)/include -o great_zot TestFunc.o \
       -L$(WINGZ)/lib -lwztools -lm

works great, but under Linux the link fails with a message like:

/usr/lib/crt1.o (...) undefined symbol 'main'

'nm' shows 'main' as being defined in $WINGZ/lib/libwztools.a, so
I am at a loss to how to get this to compile.

        Linux Kernel:   1.3.99
        Wingz version:  1.4
        GCC version:    2.6

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Shaun
Shaun Lawson           Tel:    [+81]3-5571-7388
Assistant Vice Pres.   WWW:    http://www.atrium.com/shaun

2. scripting

3. setup.ins error when installing OO in 5.0-REL

4. Use Phone Cable for 10 Base T?

5. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

6. Newbie: X HELP on DELL

8. D-Link 530 TX and 538 TX

9. Suse 7.0; Yast2, kinternet, rc.dialout und ich komme nicht ins Internet

10. Netscape plug-ins on AIX 4

11. what is a INS server?

12. dial ins

13. plug-ins netscape