2.4.2-2 kernel compiles-won't load - RH 7.1

2.4.2-2 kernel compiles-won't load - RH 7.1

Post by farmergile » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 01:14:26

Having problems as stated in the subject line.

I've been following intructions from the Kernel HOW-TO at linuxdoc.org,
the RH 7.1 Customization Guide and docs in the source distribution. This
is my first go-round with Linux kernels although I have some experience
with kernel compiling in FreeBSD.

I'm using an 650 MHz Athlon with 384MB of RAM. The machine has been
running FreeBSD flawlessly for a couple of years and took the default RH
install w/o problems.  Right now I'm just trying to build a vanilla kernel
with nothing fancy, mostly taking defaults using:

# make mrproper
# make xconfig
# make dep
# make clean
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install
# make install

The kernel seems to compile with no errors and seems to decompress and
boot w/o error. I can see the normal dmesg stuff, probes for hardware and
so on, on bootup but it hangs at the RH Interactive Setup "prompt". I
would expect the next thing to be the green ok for /proc filesystem. I
have double-checked that /proc fs support is compiled in.

Most of the stuff I've seen in the newsgroups relates to compiler
issues and I don't think that's my problem. Anyone got any ideas? Any
help is appreciated.

--
----------------------------
Chris Browning

----------------------------

Post by bdonla » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 01:30:26

> Having problems as stated in the subject line.

> I've been following intructions from the Kernel HOW-TO at linuxdoc.org,
> the RH 7.1 Customization Guide and docs in the source distribution. This
> is my first go-round with Linux kernels although I have some experience
> with kernel compiling in FreeBSD.

> I'm using an 650 MHz Athlon with 384MB of RAM. The machine has been
> running FreeBSD flawlessly for a couple of years and took the default RH
> install w/o problems.  Right now I'm just trying to build a vanilla kernel
> with nothing fancy, mostly taking defaults using:

> # make mrproper
> # make xconfig
> # make dep
> # make clean
> # make bzImage
> # make modules
> # make modules_install
> # make install

> The kernel seems to compile with no errors and seems to decompress and
> boot w/o error. I can see the normal dmesg stuff, probes for hardware and
> so on, on bootup but it hangs at the RH Interactive Setup "prompt". I
> would expect the next thing to be the green ok for /proc filesystem. I
> have double-checked that /proc fs support is compiled in.

> Most of the stuff I've seen in the newsgroups relates to compiler
> issues and I don't think that's my problem. Anyone got any ideas? Any
> help is appreciated.

The latest kernel is 2.4.14, why don't you try that?

--
make me
---

Post by farmergile » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 01:43:40

>> Having problems as stated in the subject line.  I've been following
>> intructions from the Kernel HOW-TO at linuxdoc.org, the RH 7.1
>> Customization Guide and docs in the source distribution. This is my
>> first go-round with Linux kernels although I have some experience with
>> kernel compiling in FreeBSD.
>> I'm using an 650 MHz Athlon with 384MB of RAM. The machine has been
>> running FreeBSD flawlessly for a couple of years and took the default
>> RH install w/o problems.  Right now I'm just trying to build a vanilla
>> kernel with nothing fancy, mostly taking defaults using:  # make
>> mrproper
>> # make xconfig
>> # make dep
>> # make clean
>> # make bzImage
>> # make modules
>> # make modules_install
>> # make install
>> The kernel seems to compile with no errors and seems to decompress and
>> boot w/o error. I can see the normal dmesg stuff, probes for hardware
>> and so on, on bootup but it hangs at the RH Interactive Setup "prompt".
>> I would expect the next thing to be the green ok for /proc filesystem.
>> I have double-checked that /proc fs support is compiled in.  Most of
>> the stuff I've seen in the newsgroups relates to compiler issues and I
>> don't think that's my problem. Anyone got any ideas? Any help is
>> appreciated.

> The latest kernel is 2.4.14, why don't you try that?

I figured that 2.4.2 was new enough to work well. Being new to Linux
kernels, I wanted to avoid mixing and matching until I get somewhat up to
speed.

--
----------------------------
Chris Browning

----------------------------

Post by bdonla » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 01:46:24

>>> Having problems as stated in the subject line.  I've been following
>>> intructions from the Kernel HOW-TO at linuxdoc.org, the RH 7.1
>>> Customization Guide and docs in the source distribution. This is my
>>> first go-round with Linux kernels although I have some experience with
>>> kernel compiling in FreeBSD.
>>> I'm using an 650 MHz Athlon with 384MB of RAM. The machine has been
>>> running FreeBSD flawlessly for a couple of years and took the default
>>> RH install w/o problems.  Right now I'm just trying to build a vanilla
>>> kernel with nothing fancy, mostly taking defaults using:  # make
>>> mrproper
>>> # make xconfig
>>> # make dep
>>> # make clean
>>> # make bzImage
>>> # make modules
>>> # make modules_install
>>> # make install
>>> The kernel seems to compile with no errors and seems to decompress and
>>> boot w/o error. I can see the normal dmesg stuff, probes for hardware
>>> and so on, on bootup but it hangs at the RH Interactive Setup "prompt".
>>> I would expect the next thing to be the green ok for /proc filesystem.
>>> I have double-checked that /proc fs support is compiled in.  Most of
>>> the stuff I've seen in the newsgroups relates to compiler issues and I
>>> don't think that's my problem. Anyone got any ideas? Any help is
>>> appreciated.

>> The latest kernel is 2.4.14, why don't you try that?

> I figured that 2.4.2 was new enough to work well. Being new to Linux
> kernels, I wanted to avoid mixing and matching until I get somewhat up to
> speed.

'Mixing and matching'? What does that mean?

--
make me
---

Post by farmergile » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 01:55:45

>>> The latest kernel is 2.4.14, why don't you try that?
>> I figured that 2.4.2 was new enough to work well. Being new to Linux
>> kernels, I wanted to avoid mixing and matching until I get somewhat up
>> to speed.
> 'Mixing and matching'? What does that mean?

Is there a reason 2.4.2 won't work? I'd like to avoid tracking a bunch of
different source trees.

--
----------------------------
Chris Browning

----------------------------

1. Problem Re-compiling 2.4.2-2 on RH 7.1

[...]

2. (Large Message!) S/MIME mail support for PINE

3. installing Pc-tel , I56PSP-F1 on RH 7.1 , kernel version 2.4.2-2

4. PD Support?

5. RH 7.1 (Kern 2.4.2-2): Spazzing Out My CDROM

6. IBM AIX Security Notification: Web site defacements

7. RedHat 7.1 (kernel v2.4.2-2) and Netgear FA311

8. Beige G3 Howto 0.001

9. RH 7.1 does not work on XL266, so don't bother, LOAD RH6.2

10. RH 7.1 crashes under heavy disk load, RH 6.1 works fine

11. kmail 1.0.29-2 on LM 7.1

12. Lilo won't load os/2, os/2 won't load lilo

13. Newbie- RH 7.1 won't boot