CDROM problems and mouse problems.

Post by Philip Shott » Fri, 15 Jul 1994 22:33:12

Hi all,

I have recently installed Linux and I am very impressed. However I am
unable to get the cdrom access or mouse support working.

I am using a Panasonic CDROM connected to a Packard Bell "SoundBlaster
PRO compatible" card. All works fine in DOS/Windoze. The kernel is
configured for Soundblaster connected CDROM (using /dev/sbpro or
somesuch). When I try "mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdrom /mnt" the mount
fails with the general error message (something like: cannot mount
/dev/cdrom, filesystem does not match, /dev/cdrom already mounted  or
other problem).

The mouse is a cheapo clone 3-button job that is "MS-Mouse
compatible". Again, all is fine with DOS/Windoze; although it requires
its own mouse driver under DOS. When I run up X under Linux, moving
the mouse causes the cursor to move a short distance and then no more.

Doing a "cat </dev/mouse" and then moving the mouse produces about 1
line of characters and then nothing more. It almost looks like a
serial port handshaking problem.

Sorry if these questions have been asked a million times before -
they're not in the FAQ.

Thanks in advance

Phil
--

#### Investment Intelligence Systems Corporation, London, UK    ####
#### Phone: +44 (0) 71 628 6960.  Fax: +44 (0) 71 638 7528      ####

Post by Jeff Macdona » Sun, 17 Jul 1994 00:20:05

>Subject: CDROM problems and mouse problems.
>Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 13:33:12 +0000
>Hi all,
>I have recently installed Linux and I am very impressed. However I am
>unable to get the cdrom access or mouse support working.
>I am using a Panasonic CDROM connected to a Packard Bell "SoundBlaster
>PRO compatible" card. All works fine in DOS/Windoze. The kernel is
>configured for Soundblaster connected CDROM (using /dev/sbpro or
>somesuch). When I try "mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdrom /mnt" the mount
>fails with the general error message (something like: cannot mount
>/dev/cdrom, filesystem does not match, /dev/cdrom already mounted  or
>other problem).

... mouse stuff deleted....

I'm having the same kind of problem with a sony cdu33a. I can mount the CD if
I use the install boot disks from Slackware (umdos support - boot144 and
cdu31a[144] for root). However after I choose configure from the setup program
and the new boot image is created and re-booting with the new image, I get the
same error message as Philip does. I looked at the /dev/cdu31a on the boot
disk for install Slackware, and noticed that it is a day older than the
/dev/cdu31a on my hard drive.

I also noticed a lot of CD activity when the unsuccessful mount occurs, but
hardly any when it works.

Any ideas?

Also, does any one  have infomagics support e-mail address.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Macdonald
Ziff Information Services
Ziff Communications
10 President's Landing
Medford, MA

CDROM problems and mouse problems.

Post by Eberhard Moenkebe » Sun, 17 Jul 1994 19:02:26

Hello Philip Shotton and all others,

on 14.07.94 Philip Shotton wrote to All in USENET.COMP.OS.LINUX.HELP:

PS> I have recently installed Linux and I am very impressed. However I am
PS> unable to get the cdrom access or mouse support working.
PS>
PS> I am using a Panasonic CDROM connected to a Packard Bell "SoundBlaster
PS> PRO compatible" card. All works fine in DOS/Windoze. The kernel is
PS> configured for Soundblaster connected CDROM (using /dev/sbpro or
PS> somesuch). When I try "mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdrom /mnt" the mount
PS> fails with the general error message (something like: cannot mount
PS> /dev/cdrom, filesystem does not match, /dev/cdrom already mounted  or
PS> other problem).

If you do not see any "SBPCD:..." lines within the boot messages, you
have to build a kernel with the necessary CDROM support.

Read /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.sbpcd, and then we will
continue if necessary.

Greetings ... Eberhard

CDROM problems and mouse problems.

Post by Philip Shott » Wed, 20 Jul 1994 01:18:11

Re CD-ROM/Mouse problems. All sorted now, thanks to all who replied.
twas all my mistake, blush blush.

I had assumed that since the slackware setup asked if I had a CD, and
what type, that CD support was already in the kernel I was using. A
kernel rebuild sorted out that one and I now have working CD.

The mouse weirdo was more peculiar....

My mouse has a switch under it, labelled "MS-2 button" and "PC-3
button". Windows, DOS and Linux VC cut/paste work with it set to
MS..., X on the other hand only works with it set to PC-3 button. I
don't know why but anyway, it works.

Phil
--

#### Investment Intelligence Systems Corporation, London, UK    ####
#### Phone: +44 (0) 71 628 6960.  Fax: +44 (0) 71 638 7528      ####
###!                It's life Jim, but not as we know it        !###

1. Redhat 5.0 X mouse problem, cdrom problem... hey I'm new to these...

Ok....
I've just installed my first linux, that is the Redhat 5 (Hurricane)..
Now... my mouse is not working in the X (run using 'startx')
I've run mouseconfig from the prompt... but it still not working.... my
mouse is Logitech, Serial/COM1, 3 buttons.

Second, when I installed Redhat, I'm using a borrowed ATAPI IDE CDROM,
which is automatically detected by linux, but actually my CDROM is Optic
Storage, Lasermate CR328A which is listed in the hardware compatibility....
I've tried this at LILO: "linux cdrom=/dev/optcd", or "linux
cdrom=Lasermate", or "linux cdrom=optcd" but it's not working...
when I look at cdrom, it's still linked to /hdb (which was the ATAPI IDE
CDROM)... How to change it ???

Last of all, can someone explain to me how to install a program... or point
me to a website somewhere which explain how to install a program ???

Thanks a lot.....

2. When's your birthday?

3. setup problems: mouse, IRQs, CDROM

4. Problems with hostname

5. Problem with cdrom mounting and mouse freezes

6. kde themes

7. Mouse and CDROM setup problems

8. Simple port monitoring

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Problem with mounting CDROM on a SCSI CDROM drive

11. CDROM Problem: "mount point /cdrom does not exist"

12. PROBLEM: 2.4.20 on ICH4 : ide-cdrom/ide-scsi problems reading cds

13. HELP! Adaptec 274x problems and CDROM recognition problem