Can't print to /dev/lp0 ,1 , or 2.Slackware

Post by Bruce Scott T » Sat, 07 Jan 1995 20:29:42

|> Beware. I bought TransAmeritech CD last Mar which doesn't permit printing.
|> I've seen many similar requests for help, but no answers.
|> I can't print to /dev/lp0 or 1 or 2. My machine and printer work OK under
|> DOS and under my previous SLackware distribution of Linux.
|> However, my new version 1.0

|> to this dev. I've read Frisch, Nemeth, Welch; but no hints about what to
|> do if cat filename |> /dev/lp0 or whatever, doesn't work. Any ideas?

What do your boot messages say about the parallel interface (lp something
or other, "polling" or something or other), and about whether lpd got
launched?  What is your directory structure under /var/spool or
/var/spool/lpd?  And what is your default /etc/printcap entry?

The Printer-HOWTO covers all this stuff; most likely your print devices
have not been configured out of the box and you need 5 mins of effort to do
it yourself.  It is much easier than the O'Reilly book on sysadmin made it
out to be.

--
Gruss,
Dr Bruce Scott                             The deadliest bullshit is