NEC CDR-210 SCSI CDrom problem

Post by Dave Dav » Wed, 27 Jul 1994 07:53:15

I am trying to control the audio play functions of an NEC CDR-210 CDrom
using a variety of user programs passing SCSI commands to the drive,
via a linux SCSI driver.  The local NEC information person tells me
that this drive is "Quasi-SCSI" which seems to mean that the commands
have a SCSI-like structure, but in some cases use vendor-specific codes
for certain functions and the bytes in the command are similar to but
not identical to the SCSI standard.

Some of the functions are working - some distributed in a patch to xcdplayer
(source unknown) - and a couple that I have added or fixed (some waits
seem to be essential between commands and status requests).  I _can_ play
audio disks, but cannot seek to arbitrary places in the disk.  I know this
can be done for I have observed it when the same drive is controlled by
an MSDOS utility.  In addition, CDromfilesystems mount and function
properly.

The Australian NEC people have provided me with as much information
as they can find, but this does not go beyond a list of command codes.
The command byte content remains elusive.  In particular I would dearly
love to know have to give the drive a CDROMPLAYMSF command (i.e. play
from a particular point in a track).

If anyone can help with information (or pointers to possible sources of
information) I would be grateful.

1. NEC CDR-210 SCSI CDROM Problems

I have just purchased a double speed NEC CDR-210 drive.  It is
recognized under dos and with the Adaptec 1540B firmware upon
boot.  It works under dos to the extent that I can 'cd' to directorys
and 'ls'.  However, under Linux I can't mount it at all and when I
try to boot a kernel which tries to mount it for it's root filesystem
it hangs.  Has anyone else had similar problems?

Please email.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

--

315 Science Parkway, Rochester, New York 14620            uupsi!ptsys1!kng

2. Mouse skipping problem in X

3. SCSI NEC CDR-210 problems

4. access winnt from redhat 5.2 box

5. Adaptec 1505 SCSI adapter and NEC CDR-210

6. solstice

7. NEC SCSI CD-ROM drive CDR-210 rev. 1.0 is not recognized

8. Give away PC-NFS please!!

9. Adaptec 1505 SCSI adapter and NEC CDR-210

10. NEC CDR-210 recognized but not usable -- Help!

11. Adaptec 1522 & NEC CDR-210 working under Linux?

12. NEC CDR-210 with Adaptec 1520

13. HELP: NEC CDR-210 won't play audio CDs