Hmmm can anyone get SLS 1.03 to make boot disk?

Hmmm can anyone get SLS 1.03 to make boot disk?

Post by Joe Rosenfe » Thu, 19 Aug 1993 04:18:47

I asked this before, but nobody answered, and since the problem is of
large proportions, I am gonna ask again before giving up on SLS or calling
them directly.

We have SLS 1.03 from sunsite.unc.edu.  We have version 1.03 and have
tried this on a Dell 486P/33 running with 4 MB RAM.  i have tried this
also on a Gateway 386/25 with 8 MB RAM, with the identical results.

1.  The process is using a Generic.a1 A1 disk.
2.  The computers have a WD Ether Elite 10-Base-T card which works, and
    used to work in SLS 1.01.
3.  We cannot generate a BOOT DISK, and have not been able to get any
    computer to boot.  It cannot find some files, like Image and syssetup.
    The disk is not made correctly, and is seen as a non-system diskette.

This is mopst frustrating, and I am losing my faith in Linux over
something that I figured would not be a problem.  I am CERTAIN the disks
have been copied correctly.  This is NOT impressive.  Any help is
appreciated.  I would love to get this taken care of soon.

TIA,
Joe

--

|  "I thought I was dead.  Then I found I was just using a
|        "PC and SweatyDOS.  It was worse than dead!"

Hmmm can anyone get SLS 1.03 to make boot disk?

Post by Joe Rosenfe » Thu, 19 Aug 1993 08:20:18

Well, I found out something: ftp from tsx-11.mit.edu, and not
sunsite.unc.edu.  Even though Sunsite says it is a mirror, it is not a
timely one, and the boot disk stuff from Sunsite does not work with
SLS 1.03.

That is NOT to say I have been successful in installing SLS 1.03.  I
have a Dell 433 with only 4 MB RAM.  I have /dev/hda1 set up as a DOS
partition, and I do some work off of it, like NetWare 4.x admin stuff,
etc. (some scanning from Windows using OmniPage 3.0).

When I try to set up a manual swap on /dev/hda2 I succeed (I set it up
as mkswap /dev/hda2 8192), but the mke2fs -c /dev/hda2 gives me a
problem: "pid 33not found."

when I attempt the install menu, trying to make a swap file on
/dev/hda2 it seems to succeed, but I run out of memory immediately.
The bootdisk never works, either way, and I am getting nowhere but to
the land of the exalted frustrated!

I would love to figure this one out.  I am willing to redo my disk,
and place the DOS partition on a second or third partition.
Unfortunately I still need to run some SweatyDOS programs.  What to do
to get the install to succeed is much harder and the more important
question I face.  Help would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Joe
--

Post by Bernhard Heidegg » Thu, 19 Aug 1993 18:18:24

: I asked this before, but nobody answered, and since the problem is of
: large proportions, I am gonna ask again before giving up on SLS or calling
: them directly.

: We have SLS 1.03 from sunsite.unc.edu.  We have version 1.03 and have
: tried this on a Dell 486P/33 running with 4 MB RAM.  i have tried this
: also on a Gateway 386/25 with 8 MB RAM, with the identical results.

: 1.  The process is using a Generic.a1 A1 disk.
: 2.  The computers have a WD Ether Elite 10-Base-T card which works, and
:     used to work in SLS 1.01.
: 3.  We cannot generate a BOOT DISK, and have not been able to get any
:     computer to boot.  It cannot find some files, like Image and syssetup.
:     The disk is not made correctly, and is seen as a non-system diskette.

What do you mean with "cannot generate a BOOT DISK" ?
Normally you have to:
1.) get a file named a1.3 or a1.5 from sunsite
2.) make the boot disk with this file: under MS-DOS use th program
rawrite.exe (it prompts you for the image and the disk drive); if you
have a running linux system use the program dd ( dd if=a1.3 of=/dev/fd0)
3.) copy all series (a,b,c,t,x) you need from sunsite (copy the files in
the subdirectories (a2,a3,a4,b1,...) to disks (MS-DOS).
4.) boot from the disk you have made in 2.)

Look for files, which are distributed with SLS (README,...)

Hope this short discription will help you.

Bernhard.

---

| Bernhard Heidegger, Technical University of Graz, Austria |
Worst day playing is better than best day working!

Post by R. Scha » Thu, 19 Aug 1993 19:47:57

>Well, I found out something: ftp from tsx-11.mit.edu, and not
>sunsite.unc.edu.  Even though Sunsite says it is a mirror, it is not a
>timely one, and the boot disk stuff from Sunsite does not work with
>SLS 1.03.

>That is NOT to say I have been successful in installing SLS 1.03.  I
>have a Dell 433 with only 4 MB RAM.  I have /dev/hda1 set up as a DOS
>partition, and I do some work off of it, like NetWare 4.x admin stuff,
>etc. (some scanning from Windows using OmniPage 3.0).

OK that's alright

Quote:

>When I try to set up a manual swap on /dev/hda2 I succeed (I set it up
>as mkswap /dev/hda2 8192), but the mke2fs -c /dev/hda2 gives me a
>problem: "pid 33not found."

Well you cannot make the same partition swap&extended file system.
Normally you would do something like (with fdisk from linux):
/dev/hda1  Dos partition (type 6)
/dev/hda2  Linux swap partition (type 82)
/dev/hda3  Linux root partition (type 83)  (At least 15MB!)
/dev/hda4  Extended partition (type 5)
/dev/hda5  Logical partition within /dev/hda4

Then: REBOOT
mkswap -c /dev/hda2 <size>  (In your case 8192)
swapon /dev/hda2
mke2fs -c /dev/hda3
mke2fs -c /dev/hda5

DO NOT mke2fs /dev/hda4!!!!!!!!!
then run:  doinstall /dev/hda3 /dev/hda5 /usr
This will install the root (/) on /dev/hda3 and /usr on /dev/hda5

You should also check out the document install.info on the boot-disk,
this info corelates with the info above, but I guess the above is all you need.
When it's installed don't forget to put the line:
/dev/hda2 swap none
in the /etc/fstab file, this way the swap partition will be auto-mounted.

Quote:

>when I attempt the install menu, trying to make a swap file on
>/dev/hda2 it seems to succeed, but I run out of memory immediately.
>The bootdisk never works, either way, and I am getting nowhere but to
>the land of the exalted frustrated!

Well this has to do that you're trying to make a user-partition on a swap
partition. Possibly you want to make a swap-FILE, but I've never done that,
for max-speed it's better to use a swap.partition.

Quote:

>I would love to figure this one out.  I am willing to redo my disk,
>and place the DOS partition on a second or third partition.
>Unfortunately I still need to run some SweatyDOS programs.  What to do
>to get the install to succeed is much harder and the more important
>question I face.  Help would be much appreciated.

We're on the net the help each other, good luck, don't give up on a great
system!
>TIA,
>Joe
>--

 * ing. Ronald Schalk                                               *
 * sectie COOS                                                      *
 * Universitair Centrum Informatievoorziening (UCI)                 *
 * Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen (KUN)                           *

 * TEL.   : +31 80 617997                    6525 GA NIJMEGEN       *
 * fax   :  +31 80 617979                    Nederland              *

Happy Linuxing, Ronald

1. SLS 1.03 problem making usable boot disk...

Despite making a serious effort to RTFM and experiment quite a bit, I am
unable to make a bootable floppy for SLS 1.03...The floppy is made w/o
complaint at the end of the install, but when I attempt boot it, I get
messages something like:

uncompressing linux....
invalid compressed format...
-system halted

The SLS distribution came from tsx-11.mit.edu and was installed from c:\
install w/o complaint...The disk has 3 partitions:

/dev/hda1 100MB dos
/dev/hda2 ~200MB root
/dev/hda3 16MB swap

mke2fs and mkswap showed a few bad block/pages, but no complaints otherwise

I then ran doinstall /dev/hda2 and specified harddisk /dev/hda1 to install
from...At the end, when I insert the pre-formatted floppy, answered
questions about preset video, modem, mouse, etc...When I was done, neither
the new floppy nor the harddisk were bootable...The only thing I could boot
was the install boot diskette (a1.5)...

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...E-mail replies
preferred...

Terrance M. Darcey, PhD

2. 220 disk sizes

3. Making a SLS 1.03 boot disk

5. SLS 1.03: Problems making boot disk

6. UPDATE: Compiling GTK/Perl with Perl 5.004 on Solaris

7. Has anyone gotten SLS 1.03 to work?

8. WABI w/ MS-Word + Internet Assistant?

9. Boot disks a1.3 and a1.5 missing in new SLS version 1.03

10. Unable to make Boot disk with SLS 1.03

11. Fail to boot SLS 1.03 (99pl12) installed on SCSI disk

12. SLS 1.03 a1.3 boot disk error

13. Anyone Installed Metro-X Motif on SLS 1.03 -> Install sucks!!