ProbProblem with modem under linux using DIP

ProbProblem with modem under linux using DIP

Post by Thorne Schuyler Franc » Mon, 13 Feb 1995 11:47:17

My friend has a problem getting linux to read his modem. He has a 486 66,
with a suprafax 14.4 internal modem. He is trying to get his modem
working so that he can use his slip connection. He is using the program
called dip, and he says he runs dip, then executes the "dip script" but
his modem won't initilize. If anyone has any ideas what the problem is,
please send all responses to him e-mail.

Thanks in advance!

1. PROBLEM: Modem hangsup when using dip/ppd when lagged

Hello!  Several of my linux friends and I are
having problems with dip/pppd.   I don't understand modems
very well, so please excuse the non-technical description!

I am using kernel version 1.2.13, dip V3.3.7n-uri (17 Apr 95)
and pppd version 2.1PL2.
When I reboot, it displays:
PPP: version  0.2.7 (4 channels) NEW_TTY_DRIVERS OPTIMIZE_FLAGS
PPP line discipline registered.

Basically, when I am connected, the modem hangsup at random
periods of time (i.e. sometimes I can be connected for half-hour
without it hanging up, at other times I'm connected for only
one minute before it hangsup!)    It makes no difference what
I am doing  (whether talking, reading news, netscaping, or whatever).

Also, it seems to take three seconds for it to hangup, so,
for example, if I'm typing, my characters aren't echoed
(as if I was suffering from lag), and then, three seconds
later the modem hangsup.

My modem is internal, and I've issued an AT&F to reset it to
factory defaults, but it still hangsup.  I've also tried
dip -vt to set up a SLIP connection and pppd in case my pppd
options were wrong.

Any ideas?  I think, maybe, there's some option to say
``if you don't receive a packet in three seconds, the other
side has hungup so hangup'', but can't find any details in
my (rather crap) manual!

Any help appreciated as it's most annoying!

Thanks in advance,
        Ian.

--

2. Setup a PPP Dialin Server ?

3. DIP: dip -k leaves modem in funny state?

4. Stripping out value from file, value is a variable though.

5. Can't use my modem after using dip

6. Help: Where can I get RMC memtool now? playground.sun.com seems get outaged!

7. Connection speed of modem using dip

8. Problems with bzImage on 2.1.7

9. help with using dip over a null modem

10. Modem in weird mode after using DIP

11. exiting modem connection after using dip (the dialup IP program)

12. "modem busy" error using DIP?

13. Can't use my modem after using DIP