Booting LINUX from the OS/2 Boot manager

Booting LINUX from the OS/2 Boot manager

Post by Romain Biewes » Wed, 22 Dec 1993 07:57:07

Hello,

A friend of mine has the following problem. He wants to boot the LINUX OS
from within the OS/2 boot manager boot he was unable to do this. So has
someone tried this before? Is this possible? Will this be solved in a futur release or is this already solved?
Has someone a solution to this problem. Of course one can boot from a
diskette :-)

Romain

Post by DE SCHEEMAECKER MA » Wed, 22 Dec 1993 09:16:57

: Hello,

: A friend of mine has the following problem. He wants to boot the LINUX OS
: from within the OS/2 boot manager boot he was unable to do this. So has
: someone tried this before? Is this possible? Will this be solved in a futur release or is this already solved?
: Has someone a solution to this problem. Of course one can boot from a
: diskette :-)

: Romain

I'm now using such a configuration and have no problems.

Here is how to set it up correctly:

        1. Make the linux partition(s) with fdisk for OS/2
                (*not* the fdisk for linux !)
        2. Add the linux bootpartition to the bootmanager
                (still with fdisk for OS/2)
        3. Now boot with the linux bootdisk
        4. Use linux fdisk to tag your linux partitions and create your
           swap partition (if nessasary).
                You tag your partion using the t command
                Choose type 83 (Linux native)
        5. Reboot with the linux bootdisk and start the setup script

For more information, see the FAQ.

Cu,

|\/|

Booting LINUX from the OS/2 Boot manager

Post by James McClatch » Thu, 23 Dec 1993 00:14:52

The key I think is to use the OS/2 fdisk rather than the Linux fdisk.
In OS/2, right click on the drives icon. Then click on "create partition".
Create Linux partition and add to the boot manager menu.

Use Linux fdisk only to change the type of the partition to Linux. OS/2
will see this as "type 83". Then you can install Linux.

One more thing, the Linux partition must be a primary not part of the
extended partition.

Hope this helps.
--
James N. McClatchey (Southern Aluminum Finishing Co, Atlanta, GA, USA)
Architectural Aluminum. Custom Fabrication. Paint, Powder Coating, Anodizing.

Booting LINUX from the OS/2 Boot manager

Post by Charles T Wilson -- Personal Accou » Thu, 23 Dec 1993 13:09:10

>The key I think is to use the OS/2 fdisk rather than the Linux fdisk.
>In OS/2, right click on the drives icon. Then click on "create partition".
>Create Linux partition and add to the boot manager menu.

>Use Linux fdisk only to change the type of the partition to Linux. OS/2
>will see this as "type 83". Then you can install Linux.

>One more thing, the Linux partition must be a primary not part of the
>extended partition.

The boot partition, yes...any others can be part of an extended partition.

>Hope this helps.
>--
>James N. McClatchey (Southern Aluminum Finishing Co, Atlanta, GA, USA)
>Architectural Aluminum. Custom Fabrication. Paint, Powder Coating, Anodizing.

|  Tom Wilson                      |  "I can't complain, but sometimes  |

|                                  |                -Joe Walsh          |

1. Booting Linux with the OS/2 Boot Manager

I know this thread went through a while ago, but I didn't pay much
attention because at the time I wasn't interested.

If it was ever resolved: is there any way to boot Linux using the OS/2
Boot Manager?  Currently OS/2 and Linux are happily coexisting, but I have
to use a Linux boot disk to get to Linux.
Here is my configuration if it helps:
drive 0 / hda
        Boot Manager / hda1 = OS/2 Boot Manager
        d: / hda2 = extended partition from which OS/2 is booted
drive 1 / hdb
        c: / hdb1 = Emergency OS/2 boot partition (fast boot)
        hdb2 = Linux root
        hdb3 = Linux swap

Thanks for any help.
Jeff Lessem

Better living through barbecue.

2. Sendmail 8.9.1 NEWDB compile options.

3. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

4. Help: Linux won't boot

5. Booting LINUX with OS/2 Boot Manager

6. Trying to create bootdisk hangs machine

7. How to boot Linux with OS/2 boot manager?

8. pcaplib

9. Boot Linux from SCSI (with OS/2 boot manager)

10. booting linux with OS/2 boot manager?

11. How to boot linux with os/2 boot manager?

12. Problems booting linux from OS/2 boot manager

13. Booting Linux through OS/2 Boot Manager