Printer Configuration Problem

Post by Colin L » Wed, 30 Mar 1994 17:17:09

Hi!  I've set up all the files and stuff for an LPT1 printer, and I've read and
used the Printing-HOWTO document (ie. followed the instructions to install and
setup the lpr, etc. commands), but it still gives me stuff like:

'lpr : no file or directory

oops, actually, this is what I get:

'lpr: connect: No such file or directory
 jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.'

Can someone help me out?  I'm totally lost.

Thanks in advance.

Post by Juergen Geini » Wed, 30 Mar 1994 23:51:12

>Hi!  I've set up all the files and stuff for an LPT1 printer, and I've read and
>used the Printing-HOWTO document (ie. followed the instructions to install and
>setup the lpr, etc. commands), but it still gives me stuff like:
>'lpr: connect: No such file or directory
> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.'

Read again -- suppose your lpd is not running
(you might check with 'ps -aux |grep lpd'

juergen
--
          Universitaet Heidelberg - Rechenzentrum

Post by Derek Gottfr » Mon, 04 Apr 1994 05:29:13

>Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 08:17:09 GMT
>Hi!  I've set up all the files and stuff for an LPT1 printer, and I've read and
>used the Printing-HOWTO document (ie. followed the instructions to install and
>setup the lpr, etc. commands), but it still gives me stuff like:
>'lpr : no file or directory

>oops, actually, this is what I get:
>'lpr: connect: No such file or directory
> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.'
>Can someone help me out?  I'm totally lost.
>Thanks in advance.

I have done the samething I have read the Printing HOWTO etc. and I know my
lpd daemon is running ccause I see it when "ps -ax" but I still get "cannot
start daemon" errors. Anyone have any clue? I have checked the /etc/services
file. I read all the docs I could find but still no luck.

Thanks

Derek

Post by Rob Burre » Tue, 05 Apr 1994 09:04:04

: I have done the samething I have read the Printing HOWTO etc. and I know my
: lpd daemon is running ccause I see it when "ps -ax" but I still get "cannot
: start daemon" errors. Anyone have any clue? I have checked the /etc/services
: file. I read all the docs I could find but still no luck.

You need to install the Network package before you can do any print
spooling.  Be sure you run the network setup program as well...

Printer Configuration Problem

Post by Chan S » Wed, 06 Apr 1994 19:20:47

writes:

        [stuff deleted]

Quote:

>>'lpr: connect: No such file or directory
>> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.'

I had the same problem too, when I tried to install the printer without
TCPIP.

After installing TCPIP (I didn't know why I did it, just a hunch), all
printing operations worked without problem.

If you are using Slackware 1.2.0, just install TCPIP package from the
n series disk.

Good Luck.
..Kenneth

snail-mail: Department of ESE, University of Essex,
            Colchester, Essex, CO4 3SQ, UK

Printer Configuration Problem

Post by Wilfried Tenten K8/EIS2. Tel. 29 » Thu, 14 Apr 1994 19:22:06

Printer Configuration

Hi folks,

it just a simple act, I had had the same situation couple of days ago.
I run Slackware 1.2.
Please have a look in /etc/. Is there a file called "printcap"???????

If not, pick an editor, create a file with the name "printcap" and write:

lp:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/usr/spool/lp1:sh

Should go!!!

Good luck
Wilfried

1. Printer Configuration Problems

I am having a problem configuring a local printer
(Apple LaserWriter II NTX) on a SUN IPX running Solaris 2.3.
The printer was previously working under SunOS 4.1.3.
I have tried admintool - Printer Manager configuring as a
local postscript printer (many iterations).
I have also tried setting up printer services using the
command-line interface without success.
The only thing that has worked is sending a postscript file
to the port (i.e., # cat file.ps > /dev/term/b).
I would appreciate any help/instruction for troubleshooting
this printer problem.
Some relevant printer and port information is included:

# lpstat -l -p
printer lw202camp is idle. enabled since Mon Sep 26 15:48:12 EDT. available
        Form mounted:
        Content types: postscript
        Printer types: PS
        Connection: direct
        Interface: /usr/lib/lp/model/standard
        On fault: write to root once
        After fault: continue
        Users allowed:
                (all)
        Forms allowed:
                (none)
        Banner required
        Character sets:

        Default pitch:
        Default page size: 80 wide 66 long
        Default port settings:

# stty -a < /dev/term/b
speed 9600 baud;
rows = 0; columns = 0; ypixels = 0; xpixels = 0;
eucw 1:0:0:0, scrw 1:0:0:0
intr = ^c; quit = ^|; erase = ^?; kill = ^u;
start = ^q; stop = ^s; susp = ^z; dsusp = ^y;
rprnt = ^r; flush = ^o; werase = ^w; lnext = ^v;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -crtscts -parext
-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon -ixany -ixoff imaxbel
isig icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
-tostop echoctl -echoprt echoke -defecho -flusho -pendin iexten
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel tab3

#eeprom | grep ttyb
ttyb-rts-dtr-off=false
ttyb-ignore-cd=true
ttyb-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
                     ^ -- have tried s here.

2. XDM and shadow passwords don't work together

3. RH 7.1 Printer configuration problem

4. I want to run LINUX on a Pentium laptop!

5. Printer Configuration Problems

6. ServerWorks III LE Chipset under linux

7. Printer configuration problem

8. Malformed archive error while building a library with ar

9. Printer configuration problem. Any idea what is wrong here?

10. Printer configuration printer help request

11. printer configuration/stalled printer causes server to freeze

12. Printer/Parallel port configuration problems

13. Having configurations problems with PRINTER!