Sound card help

Post by Robert Naul » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:07:48

I have mandrake 9.0 installed on a hp pavilion with a yamaha opl3-sa sound
card in the top pci slot
The card is not detected
Im new to linux and i realy like the os
It would be great to hear something though
Thanks for your help

Sound card help

Post by Clive Dov » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 04:31:32

> I have mandrake 9.0 installed on a hp pavilion with a yamaha opl3-sa
> sound card in the top pci slot
> The card is not detected
> Im new to linux and i realy like the os
> It would be great to hear something though
> Thanks for your help

If the harddrake does not work, you could try an older utility called
sndconfig  It is probably to be found on your install disk 1 and can be
installed in your system using Software Manager.
If it fails, then try a manual install

Try this:
Open a terminal window to get a user prompt then enter "su" to go to a
root prompt then use modprobe to install the driver module.

$ su
Password: (enter your root password)
# modprobe opl3

Then make sure that the file /etc/modules.conf contains this line:

alias sound-slot-0 opl3sa. edit the file using kedit from a root prompt

# cp /etc/modules.conf /etc/modules.conf.orig
(this is to make a backup of the original file)

# kedit /etc/modules.conf
(then add the alias line then save the file and exit)

# exit
$
(this will take you back to your user prompt, I don't like staying at a
root prompt unless I actually need to work in the root)

reboot your system to see if the sound card loads on boot

Check it with this command from a user prompt:
$ cat /proc/modules
This will return a list of the modules that were loaded on boot and
your opl3sa should show up (assuming that this is the correct module
for your card)

NB once you have manually installed a sound card, don't use harddrake
or cndconfig to test it. They will overwrite your /etc/modules.conf
file.

Note: In Mandrake 8.2, it is necessary to open a mixer such as aumix or
kmix and run the Pcm slider, Digital slider and Volume slider to max
and be ready to quickly lower the volume slider.  Somehow the sound
system defaults to mimimum unless you do this t kick-start it.  I don't
know whether this has been cured in Mandrake 9.0

Sound card help

Post by mjt » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 05:35:30

1. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

I actually got pretty far into this, but can't make a peep come out of the
speakers (I just had a horrible thought - speakers are plugged in and turned
on).

Got ALSA Drivers, utilities, and library files, did standard configure, make,
make install for each.
In a console window under KDE, did the following:
1. insmod soundcore - got nothing back, so I assume that worked.
2. ran the snddevices script - it happily reported making a ton of devices.
3. Edited my etc/modules.conf to the following

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-es1938
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

4. ran modprobe snd-card-es1938 - got nothing back, so I assume that worked as
well.

5. I tried a couple of the tools available under the "multimedia" option of the
KDE menu - none of them can access the output dev. I tried the chmod, still no
joy. When I run /utils/alsasound start, it reports that the driver is already
running. I postulate that may be so, but would like to confirm my hypothesis by
actually hearing something from the speakers. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

2. Samba hassle with name lookup

3. Best Video Card - Best Sound Card - HELP!!

4. Oracle server on Linux Redhat

5. Yamaha DS-XG sound Card - Help!

6. Did you ever notice....

7. Onboard sound card - HELP!!

8. Awk Variables

9. Sound Card help(Turtle Beach Montegro)

10. Sound card HELP

11. Configuring Sound Card Help

12. Sound card help

13. need sound card help