Which BOOTDSK for IDE HD and IDE CDROM?

Post by Robinson David Paul » Tue, 22 Nov 1994 12:15:13

Which boot disk should I use with a IDE harddisk, an IDE CDROM
(Matsushita compatible) and Sound Blaster (not Pro).?

I tried sbpcd.gz and that seems to work, but when it tests for scsi
it hangs.  There is some message that if it hangs I can use a LILO
boot command to fix it when I reboot, but I don't understand when
to punch in this command.

Can someone please help?

Thanks,
David

1. Dell Dimension + IDE HD + IDE CDROM + 2940 SCSI = PROBLEM???

Folks:

I'm desperate.  I just bought a Dell Dimension 90MHz Pentium, configured as
follows:

        1 IDE hard drive             - mastered off primary controller
        1 Mitsumi IDE CD-ROM         - mastered off secondary controller
        Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller - id 7
        1 2.1GB Conner SCSI drive    - id 0

        Red Hat Linux 2.0 (2940-nonet.img boot image).

I've tried every conceivable LILO option, and I can't get the machine
to recognize the CD-ROM.  It picks up the SCSI and IDE hard drives
beautifully, though.

One person who responded to my email said that he thought the problem was that
the IDE controllers on Dell motherboards were flaky... or maybe just flaky
under Linux.  This strikes me as rather unbelievable... especially since
it works beautifully under Windows 95.

Is ANYONE out there using a Dell for Linux, with IDE???

Does ANYONE have $0.02 to throw into this issue?
--

   ____           __

 / __/ _/ / / , /     Hughes STX Corporation, NASA/Goddard Space Flight Cntr.
/___/_/ \  /\  /___
        /_/ /_____/   http://selsvr.stx.com/~eryq/

2. Problems with autodial and a proxy forcing ISP

3. E-IDE HD and E-IDE CD-ROM on Toshiba

4. Going from smail -> sendmail : help

5. IDE CD-Rom + IDE HD, same controller?

6. Q2B: Sun Developer Community

7. ? Anyone got a HD and IDE CD on same IDE controller?

8. unable to start DEC-netscape binary

9. How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

10. ? Anyone got a HD and IDE CD on same IDE controller?

11. 2 IDE HDD and 1 IDE CDROM kernel supporting problem

12. e-ide driver 6.30 uses same interrupt on IDE-0 and IDE-1

13. IDE cdroms on soundcard card ide interfaces