Getty/Serial problems

Post by e2cs.. » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 16:33:11

        I am attempting to use a mac as a dumb terminal w/ Linux 1.1.59
I can connect to the mac and type back and forth using Seyon so I know
the hardware/Serial ports are set up correctly.  I have read every piece os
doc that I could find but I am still Out of luck.
        I put the appropriate line int the etc/inittab I checked the
etc/getyydefs.  It seems as though getty runs for a short time then the process
dies.  No messages are posted by it ether.  Could it be that I do not have a
free Vt??

                                Lost at this point,
                                                Jeff Blank

Getty/Serial problems

Post by Jeroen Braakma » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 00:04:46

>    I am attempting to use a mac as a dumb terminal w/ Linux 1.1.59
> I can connect to the mac and type back and forth using Seyon so I know
> the hardware/Serial ports are set up correctly.  I have read every piece os
> doc that I could find but I am still Out of luck.
>    I put the appropriate line int the etc/inittab I checked the
> etc/getyydefs.  It seems as though getty runs for a short time then the process
> dies.  No messages are posted by it ether.  Could it be that I do not have a
> free Vt??

>                            Lost at this point,
>                                            Jeff Blank

In 1.1.59 there's a strange thing going (wasn't there in the older slackware releases)
on in /etc/rc.d/rc.serial (i think?), it was sending a modem reset
all the time. find the culprit, disable it and your happy.
Currently not on my Linux box so not for sure what rc it is.
e-mail me for details.
Greetings, Jeroen

1. Getty problems/Serial problem

Help.  I had getty working on ttyd0.  I could login.  All was well.
I did not use it for about 5 weeks.  It just sat there.  During that
time nothing changed, except for adding NFS.  Now it does not work
anymore.

The ethernet is on irq 3
sio is in irq 4

I have a null modem, the same null modem that worked before.

The getty process is up.

I see /usr/libexec/getty std.9600 ttyd0

I can cat cuaa0 and see data coming out when I type.

I would appreciate any idea whatever.  It used to work!!!

Thanks,
 Judy

2. 1Gb Ram not reflected by /proc/kcore

3. Newbie and problems with getty and serial ports

4. problem recording audio using xwave

5. Serial Problems with getty, setserial, etc... (please help)

6. 3.1 Install - Giving Up! - Hello Linux?

7. Serial GETTY problem

8. dip/slirp/cslip -- hostname?

9. Getty & serial.c problem

10. Getty serial port terminal problem

11. Slackware serial driver and getty (a problem)

12. Serial getty problem.

13. Getty Problem!.. Corrupt Getty File