setting up a SMTP or POP3 server

Post by mani » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:57:47

i would like to know that is it posssible to setup a SMTP or POP3
server on a single PC which is not connected to any network ? i have
to do this so as to test my email client program.
if yes then how to set up them ?
any answers will be appreciated.
thank u.
manish

1. Setting up smtp/pop3 server question

Hi all -

I want to set up an SMTP / POP3 server on RH Linux 8.0.
I have POSTFIX and the IMAP packages installed. As I am
perusing the documentation for both, I have some questions...

My setup requires that my host will accept mail for three
different domains. I have configured DNS for my domain(s)
so that myhost.domainA.com is the MX for domainA.com,
domainB.com, and domainC.com.

My questions are:
When I am creating email addresses/mailboxes for users, do they have to
be actual users that I create on the Linux host, or can I just
create phantom mailboxes?

Can I tell POSTFIX that it can send mail for pop3 clients
without creating an open relay?

Thanks in advance for sharing your advice / experience -

-David

2. Kernel compilation problems (SLIP device is missing).

3. what is the pop3 and smtp server to set up fetchmail with hotmail

4. Identify process runs on which CPU

5. running smtp server and pop3 server on same machine ?

6. Free-Shareware comms package for Solaris 2.x?

7. how to set up POP3 and SMTP?

8. DMZ & Proxy Firewall

9. POP3/SMTP Linux Server

10. POP3 / SMTP Server for small network ???

11. Can I use kerberos with pop3 or smtp server daemon?

12. smtp/pop3 server question

13. Help: Eudora mail application cannot connect with POP3 and SMTP server