using linix to teach os

Post by Ron McCart » Mon, 19 Sep 1994 01:43:48

I will be using LINUX during the spring semester to teach a course in
Operating Systems Design and Implementation. In the past I have used
MINIX. I am interested in talking with other educators who have used
or are thinking of using LINUX so we might share ideas and resources.

Ronald L. McCarty
Penn State Erie
Station Road
Erie, PA 16563
(814) 898-6252

using linix to teach os

Post by Christopher Michael Josl » Thu, 22 Sep 1994 03:02:25

>: I will be using LINUX during the spring semester to teach a course in
>: Operating Systems Design and Implementation. In the past I have used
>: MINIX. I am interested in talking with other educators who have used
>: or are thinking of using LINUX so we might share ideas and resources.

>Abount three years ago Andy Tannenbaum said that he would fail Linus
>if he submitted linux in his class.  I think the "discussions" about
>this from comp.os.minix are archived somewhere.

Do you know why?  I've used both and I would fail Tannenbaum.

 - Chris
--
----  Purgamentum Init, Exit Purgamentum  ------------------------------------
Christopher M. Joslyn  | Visual Numerics, Inc.   |   "A la fin de l'envoi,

using linix to teach os

Post by Darin Johns » Thu, 22 Sep 1994 10:50:00

Quote:> Abount three years ago Andy Tannenbaum said that he would fail Linus
> if he submitted linux in his class.  I think the "discussions" about
> this from comp.os.minix are archived somewhere.

Well, having been a TA several times, I was thinking something
like this when looking at parts of the code.  Of course, I
didn't check who was the actual author at the time, but...

Documentation is severely lacking - this includes comments in the code
(which means quality of quantity).  Other pseudo-documentation stuff
is poor as well.  Ie, there are defines called IRQ_13 or such - which
is incredibly non intuitive if you haven't grown up in the PC hardware
world.  Comments refer to x86 specific jargon everywhere, the
assemblers have these magical labels to absolute addresses without
a memory map to explain it all (ie, branching to 1f, 2f, 9f), and
so all.

Of course, I haven't looked at lots of the code, and I suspect
(with good reason) that I looked at the worst parts of the code.
--
Darin Johnson

       Support your right to own gnus.

using linix to teach os

Post by Alan C » Wed, 28 Sep 1994 18:30:56

>: >Abount three years ago Andy Tannenbaum said that he would fail Linus
>: >if he submitted linux in his class.  I think the "discussions" about
>: >this from comp.os.minix are archived somewhere.
>: Do you know why?  I've used both and I would fail Tannenbaum.

>AST is a big proponent of microkernel operating systems.  Linus began
>talk about his new monolithic kernel, and then the fun began.  Why
>would you fail AST?

Minix is a teaching OS. If you want to get an idea what the man really does
for systems stuff get the papers on Amoeba and have a read.

Alan

--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

1. Using Linux for teaching OS?

Hello

I have been using Minix to teach an OS course at senior/graduate
level and have met with good results. I am thinking of shifting to
Linux plateform (kernel is the main component of interest). Has
any soul out there tried this approach? I would appreciate any kind
of feedback: course outline, projects done, experiences both of the
instructor and students(?) etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ishwa Rattan

2. Proactive Defense against Scanners?

3. Self-taught/teaching Security

4. Problem with empty password at RH 6.0

5. Teaching myself about OS's, theory & practice: looking for book recs

6. 3c905b on 2.0.36 -- "Operation not permitted"

7. A suitable Computing Language for teaching OS

8. Porting NCR code to AIX

9. Can anyone teach me screen handling functions for unix using c++?

10. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

11. REQ: about using x86 OS supporting features in various OS implementation

12. alt.os.linux, comp.os.linux.hardware, comp.os.linux.misc

13. comp.os.linux.misccomp.os.linux.misccomp.os.linux.misc