Core dumps from multi-threaded processes?

Core dumps from multi-threaded processes?

Post by Matthew Clin » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 16:25:25

I was using linux-2.4.2-ac20 for a while, and it did a perfectly fine
job of dumping core files for multi-threaded processes.  But now that
I've upgraded to linux-2.4.3, I'm not getting any core files.  Is
this a feature that never made it into 2.4.3?

Thanks in advance.

--
Matthew Cline        | Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose that

Post by Carlos Rivera Corder » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 06:48:20

> I was using linux-2.4.2-ac20 for a while, and it did a perfectly fine
> job of dumping core files for multi-threaded processes.  But now that
> I've upgraded to linux-2.4.3, I'm not getting any core files.  Is
> this a feature that never made it into 2.4.3?

> Thanks in advance.

> --
> Matthew Cline        | Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose that

>                      | myself.  -- Mark Twain

Hi, I think there is an enviroment variable where you specify whether
you
want core dumps.  I dont remember what it was called, sorry. Look for
it.

Carlos

Core dumps from multi-threaded processes?

Post by Matthew Clin » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:37:27

Carlos Rivera Cordero, on Sunday 08 April 2001 02:48 pm, did channel
for the terrible Great Old Ones, and imparted unto us these
blasphemous ravings:

Quote:> Hi, I think there is an enviroment variable where you specify
> whether you
> want core dumps.  I dont remember what it was called, sorry. Look
> for it.

Well, I upgraded from 2.4.3 to 2.4.3-ac3, and now the multi-threaded
core dumping works again.

--
Matthew Cline        | Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose that

                     | myself.  -- Mark Twain

Core dumps from multi-threaded processes?

Post by Kenneth P. Turv » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 17:19:47

On Sun, 08 Apr 2001 23:48:20 +0200,

>> I was using linux-2.4.2-ac20 for a while, and it did a perfectly fine
>> job of dumping core files for multi-threaded processes.  But now that
>> I've upgraded to linux-2.4.3, I'm not getting any core files.  Is
>> this a feature that never made it into 2.4.3?

[Snip]

Quote:>Hi, I think there is an enviroment variable where you specify whether
>you
>want core dumps.  I dont remember what it was called, sorry. Look for
>it.

You're probably thinking of ulimit.  This doesn't sound right.  His
shell configuration shouldn't have changed just because he upgraded his
kernel.

In case you don't already know what I'm talking about:

ulimit -c 0

will disable core dumps.

  To a rational being it is the same thing to act according to nature
  and according to reason.
        -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, Meditations

1. Question: How to customize core dump in multi-threaded processes

Greeting,

I tried to install my own signal handler to catch core dump signal,
and generate a core file with process name and id in it.

In a single threaded process, I can just use system("gcore -o fn pid")
to do it. In a multiple threaded process, I can still generate
core file, but when I loaded the core file to the debugger, the
core file didn't point to the right thread and location where core
dump signal was generated.

My guess is that system() itself create new thread and is running
on that thread (from truss output). So when the actual core dump
was made, the current thread was no longer the thread that cause the
core dump.

Can anyone suggest a better way to solve the problem?

Thanks for your attention.

Qing

2. Internet bandwidth usage statistics

3. Multi-threaded core dump trapping

4. Tape Compression Question

5. core dump problem with a multi-threaded program

6. Calling out to a PPP with modem

7. Multi-threaded core dumps for 2.5.21.

8. Memory Problem with sar under solaris 2.3

9. Design of a server: multi-threaded or multi-processes?

10. Core dump in Multi threaded Application

11. support for a multi-threaded core file

12. PID of multi-threaded core's file name is wrong in 2.5.59

13. pb: catching signals in a multi-threaded process