How do I upgrade Linux?

Post by Master Compute » Tue, 21 Mar 1995 18:53:27

I am new to the world of Unix (and therefore Linux). I ftp'd the
Slackware 2.1.0 release of Linux from sunsite.unc.edu and when it
boots it says Linux 1.1.59.

Does this mean that my kernel is at release 1.1.59 of Linux and if so how
do I obtain an upgrade for Linux. It seems to me that 1.2.x is the latest
version of Linux. I would prefer to do it again as easy as it was with
the Slackware release.

Also - how do I do the actual upgrade once I obtained it?

Thanks in anticipation
Francois De Bruin Meyer

How do I upgrade Linux?

Post by Joanna Y » Tue, 21 Mar 1995 21:41:42

: Does this mean that my kernel is at release 1.1.59 of Linux and if so how
Yes.

: do I obtain an upgrade for Linux. It seems to me that 1.2.x is the latest
It is..  you have to ftp the source from an ftp site.  Try either
tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/source/system/v1.2,
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/kernel/v1.2, or
cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.2

get the modules from the v1.1 directory. (1.1.87 modules)

Get the full source for 1.2.x because patching would be a pain in the
*and would increase the risk that you mispatched it.  Future
upgrades should be easy just patching.  Move the .tar.gz files to /usr/src
remove the linux symlink in /usr/src, untar the two tar files with
        tar zxvf filename
install the modules...read the README
cd into linux, do:  make config
answer the questions...if you have PCI, make sure you say yes for PCI bus
support .. and say yes for MODVERSION...CONFIG_MOD_VERSION something like
that...

then do:
    make dep; make clean; make zlilo
                                ^^^^^ if you use LILO, else zImage
then wait a while...until it finishes then do:
        /sbin/rdev -R /vmlinuz 1 <--/vmlinuz for LILO, ... vmlinux no..
Then reboot.

: version of Linux. I would prefer to do it again as easy as it was with
: the Slackware release.
Is that easy enough?
When you make a patch, you do: patch < pathfilename
and make mrproper to get rid of your old config stuff...
then continue..

I'm kinda rushed..sorry..gotta go
Hope that helped

-Joanna
----------
Jo Yun                 To every thing there is a season, and a

1. LILO: Linux + DOS-W311 + DOS/W95-Upgrade

Hello

I'm certain someone reading this has done this - have you got time to
reply?

I've read the Mini-Howto and scoured DejaNews so I have a fairly good
idea what to do, but am lacking in confidence...

My current setup is:

Booting via LILO (version 17, with REWRITE_TABLE flag)
Disk 1: 2Gb, with 4 partitions
- DOS (about 1Gb) - the default
- Linux (about 500Mb)
- Linux swap (about 128Mb) (if you've got it, flaunt it <g>)
- unused partition (about 340Mb)
(also, Disks2, 3, 4: DOS/Windows 3.11 stuff)

I wish to install Windows 95 on the unused partition for reasons beyond
the scope of this article <g>.
Obviously it is much cheaper to buy the W95 upgrade than the full
version, so this means installing another copy of DOS/Windows 3.11 and
then upgrading (I think that's legal, isn't it?).

What can I expect to happen?  Will I have to re-install LILO due to
anything that DOS/W95 does?

For those who really fancy a challenge, I also have a SCSI Syquest
removable drive which I can happily mount under Linux.  Could Windows 95
be installed on a removable drive instead, for the rare occasions when
it would be used?

Looking forward to being blinded with science...
Cheers
JR

(Disclaimer: Nothing above is anything to do with Sun UK - I'm just
visiting)

2. ftape handle Verbatim dc2120ex 400mb QIC tapes?

4. lost cd music...

5. DOS 6.22 upgrade (Whiped out my Linux boot)

6. YDL 1.2: Enlightenment Problem

7. Linux no longer see's DOS drive after upgrade

8. sed Question! <sec>

9. DOS to Linux Upgrade: What hardware do I need?

10. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine

11. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

12. Mini Linux coexists in DOS partition and boot from DOS

13. Q: Filenames turnicated DOS to LINUX to DOS?