Run-time linking

Post by a.. » Sun, 19 Jun 1994 08:04:47

        I am interested in being able to
link object files with a running program.
Basically, I would like to write a function
that will return an appropriate function
pointer given the file-name of a .o file
and a function prototype and name.
        Is there any pre-existing code
that will do this? If not, I would appreciate
any advice from gcc gurus.

                -Frederick Umminger

1. Removing indirect run-time link dependencies.

I'm developing an OpenGL application on a system
using XFree86 4.0.x.  Whenever I link the
application with libGL.so, it also links to
libGLcore.so, since libGL.so depends on libGLcore.so.
This means that I can' t run the
application on a system not using XFree86 3.3.x,
or any other X Server for that matter.  Is there a
way I can get the link to not include libGLcore.so
in the list of required shared libraries for the
application?  If I link the program on a system
using XFree86 3.3.x, such that libGLcore.so is not
a required shared library for the application, I
can still run it on an XFree86 4.0.x system, so I
know that having my application require
libGLcore.so directly is not necessary.  It isn't
clear to my why an application would want to
include the indirect shared library dependencies
since the run-time linker will handle these.

  Thanks for you help,
  - Vaughn

2. Help with running X

3. run-time link order affects Applications?

4. C2 auditing on SunOS 4.1.x

5. How to find out if a system call is run-time linking or static?

6. ftp and security...

7. are any particular filesets needed for run-time linking?

8. Live Video on Linux?

9. Linking and run-time libraries in Unix

10. Compile-time versus run-time

11. Need help with 'time' C Run-Time Library functions under HP-UX

12. time launching aspect : static link vs dynamic link

13. file time compare / run time