Problem with Linux on Thinkpad 750c

Post by System PRIVILEGED Accou » Thu, 28 Jul 1994 19:02:49

        Has anybody managed to install Linux on the IBM Thinkpad 7xx series ?

        I am using a Thinkpad 750c with D-link 600 Lan adapter, but I couldn't

        get pass the second disk. I have tried using various boot disks & root

        disks & stating the no. of cylinders, heads, sectors/track as

        "ramdisk hd= 915,15,49" during installation. But it comes back with

        the following errors message when trying to read the second disk.

        RAMDISK: 1474560 bytes, starting at 0x1e8000
        floppy I/O error
        dev 021C, sector 2
        RAMDISK: I/O error while looking for super block!
        VFS: Insert root Floppy & press ENTER

        Any idea ?      Help !

Post by pappa.. » Fri, 29 Jul 1994 01:01:17

>    Has anybody managed to install Linux on the IBM Thinkpad 7xx series ?

>    I am using a Thinkpad 750c with D-link 600 Lan adapter, but I couldn't

>    get pass the second disk. I have tried using various boot disks & root

>    disks & stating the no. of cylinders, heads, sectors/track as

>    "ramdisk hd= 915,15,49" during installation. But it comes back with

>    the following errors message when trying to read the second disk.

>    RAMDISK: 1474560 bytes, starting at 0x1e8000
>         floppy I/O error
>         dev 021C, sector 2
>         RAMDISK: I/O error while looking for super block!
>         VFS: Insert root Floppy & press ENTER

>    Any idea ?      Help !

look at http://peipa.essex.ac.uk

I was able to overcome most of my Thinkpad 750 problems. You can even download
a boot image from there and get cooking. My last problem is getting Linux to
recognize the SCSI CDROM in the Dock.

1. Problem with Linux on ThinkPad 750C

Hello ThinkPad fans

Browsing through this newsgroup I saw some people suffering from the same problem
as I did.

After grinding quite a long time in the kernel source code, compiling after
compiling, making bootdisks, reading manuals, reading http://peipa.essex.ac.uk, ...
I was able to compile the kernel with the fixes needed (drivers/block/floppy.c,
drivers/block/ramdisk.c, drivers/block/hd.c \ref{http://peipa.essex.ac.uk}).

Compiling the kernel was *not* the problem. It began then creating a bootdisk, which
refused to be able to read the super block of the root file system.

Inspecting the kernel image supplied by http://peipa.essex.ac.uk I found out:

rdev -r esseximage
   RamSize 0
rdev -R esseximage
   Root flags 0
rdev esseximage
   Boot device Root device

Well, do the following with your recently created image for the ThinkPad:

rdev -R tpimage 0
rdev -r tpimage 0
rdev -v tpimage -1
rdev tpimage tpimage                   # essential
dd if=tpimage of=/dev/fd1

What I can do now:

Boot the ThinkPad 750Cs from the boot disk, which asks me to switch floppies to mount
the root file system.

But: I didn't install Linux on my ThinPad yet (this to come).

2. mounting Solaris partition

3. ThinkPad 750C problem

4. MiroSOUND PCM20

5. Linux on an IBM ThinkPad 750C?

6. comp.unix.questions

7. Linux & ThinkPad 750c

8. Joy warns of tech Armageddon

9. Linux on a Thinkpad 750C

10. IBM Thinkpad 750C Laptop problems

11. linux & thinkpad 750c (2.88 drive)

12. Thinkpad 750c Linux install no-go

13. ThinkPad 750C floppy controller and linux