Getty HELP

Post by Joseph 'RS' Gre » Fri, 05 Aug 1994 13:37:00

Me again :-)

News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41

I seem to have Getty up and working, I have my Getty.ttySx files
in order, and have done and tried _alot_ of those HOWTO examples,
even the Linux Doc Project examples, but I can't seem to get
Linux to pick up the line?

It correctly initialises the modem(s), As I see the modem lines,
responding, and those with USR modems, will know from experience
that once you lock you modem port, the CS & TR light come on. So
everything is working A-Okay.

But when you call, the phone rings, and rings? I've got 16550A
uarts.

Can someone be kind enuff to email me your sample "gettydefs"
"getty.ttySx" files? Thats if your using getty.

or your uugetty.ttySx files, for the uugetty configs.

Any help is greatly rewarded in heavon, ten folds. :-).

                 -Signed
                  Almost_giving_up_on_Linux.

Getty HELP

Post by Keith Ell » Sat, 06 Aug 1994 11:20:12

: Me again :-)

: News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41

: It correctly initialises the modem(s), As I see the modem lines,
: responding, and those with USR modems, will know from experience
: that once you lock you modem port, the CS & TR light come on. So
: everything is working A-Okay.

: But when you call, the phone rings, and rings? I've got 16550A
: uarts.

: Can someone be kind enuff to email me your sample "gettydefs"
: "getty.ttySx" files? Thats if your using getty.

: or your uugetty.ttySx files, for the uugetty configs.

: Any help is greatly rewarded in heavon, ten folds. :-).

:                  -Signed
:                   Almost_giving_up_on_Linux.

Well, I'm posting instead of mailing because of all the getty queries I
see posted here...

I was able to get getty_ps working. *Read the docs carefully.* Especially
the "Serial-HOWTO." First problem I think you may be having: the
configuration files are named "conf.getty.xxx." Older versions place
these files in "/etc/default/(uu)getty.xxx," but newer versions place them
in "/etc/conf.(uu)getty.xxx." Okay? This is easy to miss in the docs.

Since you aren't even getting it to answer, I suspect getty_ps isn't
finding a config file (or even a default one) to tell it how to
initialize or answer the line. Above will take care of that.

However, that is not the problem that I and others had. Many people have
reported it answering and* up. I'm not sure exactly what I did to
fix this. One thing I did was use a fixed speed line (2400) in gettydefs
instead of an autobauding line. This is not a satisfactory fix unless you
are only going to get 2400 calls. :) The /a in the conf file should tell
it what linespeed to use, but I didn't get this to work. I also changed
HANGUP=ON to HANGUP=OFF with no ill effects.

Anyway, you need to follow the chain of files carefully and make sure
they are all complete and correct: inittab, gettydefs, and the conf. files.

Okay? If you are unable to get your setup working from this advice, I'll be
glad to mail you a copy of my files for your reference. (But I'll have to
get it working again: I just did a complete re-install because I
re-partitioned my drive to allow more room for Linux!)

-Keith

  "No change in musical style will survive unless it is accompanied by a
  change in clothing style. Rock is to dress up to. No musical innovation
     will ever succeed on a large commercial scale without the full
  involvement of the industries which profit tangentially from it: clothing
    and 'merchandise.'" - Frank Zappa, "The Real Frank Zappa Book" 1989

1. efax and getty, help!

Has anyone had success getting efax and getty working together to
receive fax and data calls from the same modem?

You're supposed to have efax watch the modem and answer the phone
when the modem rings.  The modem is set up to connect to either fax
or data calls and give a return code to efax indicating the type
of connection.  The "-g" option to efax tells efax what the name of
the getty program to run if it is a data call, otherwise efax receives
the fax.

I've got this all working.  efax sends the appropriate criptic string
to the modem.  efax tells the modem to answer the phone, if it is a fax
call it works just great.  If it is a data call, efax launches getty_ps,
getty_ps sends the /etc/issue banner and issues a login prompt.  I'm
quite excited at this point and think that I'm well on the road to
telecommunications nirvana.  I type in my username on the calling machine,
getty_ps lauches /bin/login and everything just dies, no password prompt,
no echoing of any characters, just silence on the connected modems, /bin/login
is waiting on something, but it doesn't seem to be listening to the modem.

I'm so close, there must be something silly about getty_ps and /bin/login
that aren't getting the tty just right.  I tried using agetty instead of
getty_ps with nearly identical results.  (agetty prints 'password:' before
giving me the silence treatment).

I need help...

--
jeff mock

2. How to map memories of two PCs connected via Ethernet

3. GETTY HELP!

4. GTK builder?

5. need getty help

6. Question of default users.

7. Getty help/alternative

8. host adapter for ultra 30

9. ISDN w/ getty: HELP

10. Getty Help

11. getty help please!!

12. Is a getty server replacing multiple getty processes feasable?

13. fax getty and data getty?