I need suggestion/advice on the following:
1) I plan to buy a PC and put Linux on it. The machine will use phone line
to connect to my department machine. Is GW2000 Dx2-66 a good choice?
If buy from GW2000, then
2) Which RAM config is more appropriate, 8meg. or 16 meg.?
3) I suppose the ATI XLR card works with Linux? I don't read this group
very often, but have seen quite alot discussion/complaints about the ATI
vs. Diamond stuff :-)
4) I plan to install X11 on the PC. How big should the HD be? Is 340meg
appropriate? I remember seeing someone suggested to ask GW that the HD been
pre-partitioned for both Linux and Dos, how and what should I ask?
5) I guess it's better to get a true USR modem from another vendor instead
of GW? Can anyone suggest some names? How about their price, and software
for the modem?
6) How about the CD-ROM from GW? Is it supported by Linux? or more generally
it it true SCSI-2 drive? If not, where can I get a CD-ROM working with both
DOS and Linux? Price?
Thanks for any info/advice/feed. Please reply thru e-mail. My address:
Washington Univ. St. Louis