Suggestion needed on buying PC

Post by Chi » Tue, 14 Sep 1993 10:17:18

Hi, Netters,

I need suggestion/advice on the following:

  1) I plan to buy a PC and put Linux on it. The machine will use phone line
to connect to my department machine. Is GW2000 Dx2-66 a good choice?

If buy from GW2000, then
  2) Which RAM config is more appropriate, 8meg. or 16 meg.?

  3) I suppose the ATI XLR card works with Linux? I don't read this group
very often, but have seen quite alot discussion/complaints about the ATI
vs. Diamond stuff :-)

  4) I plan to install X11 on the PC. How big should the HD be? Is 340meg
appropriate? I remember seeing someone suggested to ask GW that the HD been
pre-partitioned for both Linux and Dos, how and what should I ask?

  5) I guess it's better to get a true USR modem from another vendor instead
of GW? Can anyone suggest some names? How about their price, and software
for the modem?

  6) How about the CD-ROM from GW? Is it supported by Linux? or more generally
it it true SCSI-2 drive? If not, where can I get a CD-ROM working with both
DOS and Linux? Price?

Thanks for any info/advice/feed. Please reply thru e-mail. My address:

Charlse Gu

Washington Univ. St. Louis

1. Suggestion needed on buying PC

[...]

2. HI-VAL 4x4 CDROM

3. Suggestion: Buying for buying hardware !

4. Best GUI library

5. Need Suggestions on Buying Tape Drive

6. 3rd IDE: hdc or hd1a?

7. To buy a Pc or to buy a Mac to run Linux

8. typhoon rx_copybreak

9. NEED ADVICES FASTLY, I'M ABOUT TO BUY NU PC

10. Advice needed in buying a laptop PC that will work with Linux.

11. Needs suggestion on networking Linux, Mac & PC/Windows.

12. Need PC hardware suggestions for Linux

13. Need suggestion on PC hardwares