SCSI hassel: can't fdisk HP 1GB disk (no disk geometery)

SCSI hassel: can't fdisk HP 1GB disk (no disk geometery)

Post by NSF SF Bay research projec » Tue, 24 Aug 1993 06:52:55

I just sprang for a 1 GB Hewlett Packard disk (C2247) and I can't
get Linux to fdisk/format it. When I try to do anything with
fdisk, I get...

        You must set heads sectors and cylinders.
        You can do this from the extra functions menu.
        Command (m for help):

Fdisk does see the drive and I can mount the DOS partition.
I'm clueless as to cyl/heads/sector settings (calls are in
to the vendor and mfgr).  However, the FAQ is ambiguous as
to whether the provision of this information will actually
solve the problem.

Also, when the machine boots, Linux recognizes the Future
Domain controller (1680) but it says something like
"Selection Failed" in the bootup chatter.  Also, there are
two other IDE HDs on this machine.

Gag!

Help me please, even if all you know is the
cyclinders/heads/sectors settings.

   candidate^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H, (got it!) Environmental
   Planning, UC Berkeley.  Phone: 510-848-1241

SCSI hassel: can't fdisk HP 1GB disk (no disk geometery)

Post by Drew Eckhar » Tue, 24 Aug 1993 16:14:40

Quote:>I just sprang for a 1 GB Hewlett Packard disk (C2247) and I can't
>get Linux to fdisk/format it. When I try to do anything with
>fdisk, I get...

>    You must set heads sectors and cylinders.
>    You can do this from the extra functions menu.
>    Command (m for help):

>Fdisk does see the drive and I can mount the DOS partition.
>I'm clueless as to cyl/heads/sector settings (calls are in
>to the vendor and mfgr).

You don't want what the disk really has, you want the mapping
used by the SCSI controller.

Quote:>However , the FAQ is ambiguous as
>to whether the provision of this information will actually
>solve the problem.

1.  Newer versions of fdisk use the HDIO_GETGEO ioctl to ask
        the device driver the disk's geometry.  Newer versions
        of the SCSI drivers respond to this ioctl with the
        same mapping used by the SCSI controller.

If you are out of date, updating may fix the problem.

2.  The future domain 1680 driver's handling of the HDIO_GETGEO
        ioctl depends on a BIOS being present, since it reads
        the mapped geometry from the on-board ram initialized
        by the BIOS.

If you have no BIOS installed, this doesn't work.  Either install
the BIOS, or look at the partition table and figure out what the
geometry is according to your driver software.

For DOS, everything ends on track or cylinder boundaries (everything
but the first partition).

#sectors - sectors are numbered 1 to N, so you can use the number of
    the last sector in a partition as the number of sectors.

#heads - heads are numbered 0 to N, so if you take the ending head
    of a partition and add one to it, you have the number of heads.

#cylinders - cylinders are numbered 0 to N, sometimes  there is also a
    final cylnder (the Customer Engineer cylinder) used for testing
    where no data is stored.

    So, take the highest ending cylinder number of your partitions,
    and add 2 to it.

    Or just divide size by sectors * heads.

Quote:>Also, when the machine boots, Linux recognizes the Future
>Domain controller (1680) but it says something like
>"Selection Failed" in the bootup chatter.

If it works, don't worry about it.  You shouldn't get that
message, since it only appears during debugging.

Quote:>Also, there are
>two other IDE HDs on this machine.

That could explain why the future domain BIOS didn't record the
geometry of the disk.

--
Boycott USL/Novell for their absurd anti-BSDI lawsuit. |
Condemn Colorado for Amendment Two.                    | Drew Eckhardt

Will administer Unix for food                          |

1. SCSI hassel: can't fdisk HP 1GB disk (no disk geometery)

[...]

2. NFS Read/Write ?

3. fdisk and 1GB SCSI disk ?!

4. email ethics question

5. fdisk, >1GB disk & messages: physical/logical don't amtch

6. X for C&T 65540

7. Jaz2GB Dr + 1GB Disk vs. 2GB Disk

8. How Does glint recognize RPMS?

9. Micropolis 1578 disk geometery info needed

10. MS-DOS >1GB SCSI bug? Hard disk killer

11. SCSI disk > 1GB (Micropolis 2217)

12. Problems with Buslogic SCSI and 1GB disk

13. how to partition my disc using fdisk/disk-druid for Win+linux use