Can't deliver mail to myself..

Post by Aries Hackerm » Sun, 04 Sep 1994 03:45:38

Yes, it's a newbie problem. I've tried to mail myself using 'elm'
and 'mail' but...no results. I've checked /usr/spool/mail but
tehre are no mails for root and other users (i've created some).

I use Linux 2.0.0 and ...and what i herad is only clicking of my HD/
Any idea what should i do to fix teh problem? I use Linux 2.0.0 and
have chaged my hostname with 'netconfig'.

Thanks a lot!
-Aries

Can't deliver mail to myself..

Post by Carlos Domingu » Sun, 04 Sep 1994 14:43:59

: Yes, it's a newbie problem. I've tried to mail myself using 'elm'
: and 'mail' but...no results. I've checked /usr/spool/mail but
: tehre are no mails for root and other users (i've created some).

Ahhh! I just compiled my first kernel 6 days ago.. call me a newbie
too! In fact folks here forget that we were *all* newbies once :)

You need a working mail transport in order to send/receive local/remote
mail. I recommend the sendmail8.6.9 package at sunsite.unc.edu in
system/mail/??. Read the directions carefully, prepare a sendmail.cf
file, use the install script, and you should be up and running within
a few hours.

: I use Linux 2.0.0 and ...and what i herad is only clicking of my HD/
: Any idea what should i do to fix teh problem? I use Linux 2.0.0 and
: have chaged my hostname with 'netconfig'.

what kernel did you compile? Maybe you are using Slackware 2.0?

--
  __  __   __ | .__.  __. ::::  Carlos Dominguez - *dude & Gophermaster

 ____________________________   I'm Looking for employment in the NYC area.

1. /usr/bin/mail won't deliver mail locally!

I'm running a FreeBSD 2.2.6 system that's giving me fits.

I have a user on the system whose userid is 'jones'.

If I enter '/usr/bin/mail jones', I can enter a subject, body,
and then send the message.  However nothing ever arrives in
/var/mail for jones.  I get no error messages, the postmaster
gets no error messages.  I've triple-checked the permissions
and owners on all the directories and executables I can think
of, and I've compared them with another 2.2.6 system that
works as it should.  The difference between the two systems
is the version of Sendmail - the non-functioning system has
Sendmail 8.9 on it.

BTW, if I run '/usr/libexec/mail.local jones', at least a
minimal message appears for jones in /var/mail (there are
minimal headers, etc in it).

I'm at wits end on this one.  Anyone have a clue what I've
 messed up?

Arlen

2. Which new motherboard and SCSI Adapter should I buy?

3. Mail delivered by sender gets "failure to deliver"

4. How to interrupt a call to select

5. can't mail myself

6. my wgetnstr() doesn't work.

7. Big attachments in mails delivered via isp's smtp server

8. Best way to backup a Linux system

9. fetches mails but don't delivers

10. SMAIL problem: Doesn't deliver mail-forward problem.

11. smail won't deliver my mail

12. MMDF won't deliver inbound mail

13. Sendmail & OBSD 2.4 - can't deliver local mail.